An Old School Catholic Message Board

Occupy Movement Vis A Vis The Tea Partiers

dairygirl4u2c

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1321462840' post='2336882']
Right. And here is the problem with the established conservatism of today's political discourse in America. You are feeling based. Never mind science, data, and rational argumet, because you have your sacrosants feelings. The data doesn't matter because you feel like there's an unfair media bias. God forbid evidence get in the way of the conservatives pathological desire to feel mistreated and slighted. It's petty masochism masquerading as a political ideology.
[/quote]
[img]http://housebandwidth.org/bog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/head-in-the-sand.jpg[/img]

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1321465620' post='2336922']
Do you think those people squatting and defecating in public parks, trampling on private property, and putting small business owners in jeopardy are not feeling-based and lacking in the capacity for rational thinking?
[/quote]

Yes. I'm not a fan of the occupy movement. That's why I said:

[i]I don't like the occupy movement. I think most of the people in them are obnoxious and often only tangentially connected with political reality. But the hypocrisy here is astounding regarding the double standard people will hold the OWS people too vs the Tea Party people.[/i]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]The difference is one of relevence. The fact that so many in the Occupy movement of forfeited reason to their own little universe is of little consequence because most of the people involved were already on the fringe. They're marginal now. They were marginal before. They will continue to be marginal. The feelings based pseudo-conservatism that has infected the Republican party is an actual serious problem. You have one of the two major political parties being driven by people who are either too stupid or too idealistic to govern. Witness the debt ceiling crisis. [/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Just because the conservatives are guilty of x doesn't mean that nobody else is also guilty of it.[/color][/font]

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321464901' post='2336909']
i'm not speaking as a conservative, nice try.
[/quote]

Yes, you are.

Maybe you give yourself some unique name or designation but functionally you are a part of the politically active and relevant conservative movement.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1321470232' post='2336954']
[img]http://housebandwidth.org/bog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/head-in-the-sand.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I like how you helped your case by actually making a rational argument rather than reinforcing my point by refusing to actually engage with facts and reason.

Oh, wait.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1321472127' post='2336968']

Yes, you are.

Maybe you give yourself some unique name or designation but functionally you are a part of the politically active and relevant conservative movement.
[/quote]

no, I'm Catholic. I guess that name is pretty unique.

you'd be surprised how many times I listen to hannity, limbaugh and scoff at some of the stuff they dig up...

but again, thanks for trying :like:

Edited by dominicansoul

dominicansoul

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1321470105' post='2336952']

tl;dr: I dont need facts to form an opinion....
[/quote]

experience helps

[img]http://tvbythenumbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/market-share-Total-Day-P2+-590x455.jpg[/img]

that is the blatantly rightwing Fox News taking up nearly 50 percent of the cable news market share, by itself. By comparison, the liberal version, MSNBC is at about 15 percent. and then there are all the other stations BG45 listed.

if your experience is telling you that the mainstream media in the USA is liberal, then im afraid your experience is flawed.

dominicansoul

i don't have cable...

so thanks to your graph, I realize my experience has helped me to form my own opinion that the mainstream media is definitely liberal and biased...

abc, cbs, nbc... that's all i get, man....

nothing flawed in my opinion with those stations, that's for sure! :smile2:

dominicansoul

there's also the fact that i am a journalist and have worked in the mainstream media... :think:

I guess even that doesn't qualify me to form my own opinion? :idontknow:

dominicansoul

anyways, this is totally de-railing the thread from its original post...

I was just commenting on how some of you think there is a "myth" that the mainstream media has a liberal slant. It does exist, there's no myth about it...

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321473973' post='2336990']
there's also the fact that i am a journalist and have worked in the mainstream media... :think:

I guess even that doesn't qualify me to form my own opinion? :idontknow:
[/quote]

My girlfriend is a journalist. I guess her opinion and your opinion cancel each other out.

That's why you use data. Not anecdotal experience. Data.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1321474196' post='2336992']

My girlfriend is a journalist. I guess her opinion and your opinion cancel each other out.

[/quote]
I thought you were into dudes?

dominicansoul

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1321474196' post='2336992']

[/quote]

i'm not against data, i'm against pitting my total opinion on a few graphs, surveys and research. Especially some that may be flawed. Also, what some consider "right wing and conservative" may not be. That in itself takes an opinion to form. (Look at how you think I'm a conservative.)

And lets not dismiss the fact that some liberals label a newsource as "right-wing and conservative" just because it reports truth and facts, two elements of journalism liberals really struggle with if it doesn't support their agenda...

dominicansoul

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1321475709' post='2337000']
I thought you were into dudes?
[/quote]

did you form this opinion with data and research or *gasp* experience??? :o :o

[size=2]sorry, i couldn't resist[/size]... :hehe2:

A combination of both methods. I knew that anecdotal evidence doesn't hold up, so I did some fieldwork.
Let's just say we confirmed what we all knew.