An Old School Catholic Message Board

Occupy Movement Vis A Vis The Tea Partiers

dairygirl4u2c

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1321446660' post='2336816']
This is your OWS.

[img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/377535_2143553197043_1492629981_1790686_259714456_n.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
I bet you wouldn't find that at a tea party gathering...

dominicansoul

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1321314113' post='2336324']
As to the myth of "liberal media".
[/quote]

i hope you are joking... :blink:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1321451727' post='2336828']
I bet you wouldn't find that at a tea party gathering...
[/quote]
[img]http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/signswerwr32.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.blueridgemuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/teapartyracism5.jpg[/img]

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321458863' post='2336858']

i hope you are joking... :blink:
[/quote]

No, he's not. You know why he's not? Because he's probably taken the time to look at the enumerable studies that examine media content and code for political bias and has seen consistently that the media is a centrist force that may even have a mild, center-right bias. That's what the data shows. Consistently.

Most of those studies were conducted before the emergence of MSNBC as an overtly left-wing version of Fox news so maybe that's tilted it back some. But the data has been consistent.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1321383550' post='2336597']
Also, they should occupy the Universities and Colleges. The increase in tuition and books in the past 20 years is insane. My nephew attends a small NC state school and his books cost more than double my tuition from 20 years ago. Those greedy Universities and Colleges need to pay their fair share of taxes and let everyone go to school free.
[/quote]

You claim to have been a math major. You must have better critical thinking skills than this.

I don't like the occupy movement. I think most of the people in them are obnoxious and often only tangentially connected with political reality. But the hypocrisy here is astounding regarding the double standard people will hold the OWS people too vs the Tea Party people.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1321459808' post='2336863']

No, he's not. You know why he's not? Because he's probably taken the time to look at the enumerable studies that examine media content and code for political bias and has seen consistently that the media is a centrist force that may even have a mild, center-right bias. That's what the data shows. Consistently.

Most of those studies were conducted before the emergence of MSNBC as an overtly left-wing version of Fox news so maybe that's tilted it back some. But the data has been consistent.
[/quote]

i don't need a study to recognize the liberal bias in the media. I don't need a study to see that some other outlets will give you what they want you to hear. All of it is slanted and tilted, shaped and cooked up because it's propaganda. There is no such thing as "true journalism" anymore when it comes to mainstream media... so, to call it a "myth" is a little far-fetched...

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321460384' post='2336869']

i don't need a study to recognize the liberal bias in the media. I don't need a study to see that some other outlets will give you what they want you to hear. All of it is slanted and tilted, shaped and cooked up because it's propaganda. There is no such thing as "true journalism" anymore when it comes to mainstream media... so, to call it a "myth" is a little far-fetched...
[/quote]

Right. And here is the problem with the established conservatism of today's political discourse in America. You are feeling based. Never mind science, data, and rational argumet, because you have your sacrosants feelings. The data doesn't matter because you feel like there's an unfair media bias. God forbid evidence get in the way of the conservatives pathological desire to feel mistreated and slighted. It's petty masochism masquerading as a political ideology.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1321462840' post='2336882']
Right. And here is the problem with the established conservatism of today's political discourse in America. You are feeling based. Never mind science, data, and rational argumet, because you have your sacrosants feelings. The data doesn't matter because you feel like there's an unfair media bias. God forbid evidence get in the way of the conservatives pathological desire to feel mistreated and slighted. It's petty masochism masquerading as a political ideology.
[/quote]
Do you think those people squatting and defecating in public parks, trampling on private property, and putting small business owners in jeopardy are not feeling-based and lacking in the capacity for rational thinking?

dominicansoul
:think: come to think of it, hassan's comment has a very anti-conservative slant to it...

i guess i need to wait for the research and data to come out before I form my own opinion on it ... :|

The problem with showing all the stuff left behind is that we don't know if the OWS people were chased out by cops, or otherwise not given time to gather their belongings. It may be they are rowdier than the Tea Partiers, and this results in stronger police reactions. I think the reaction to the OWS crowd shows that the typical government leader is too stupid to know that the overwhelming message from OWS would empower the government further, if heeded.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1321460384' post='2336869']

[/quote]

tl;dr: I dont need facts to form an opinion....

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1321467402' post='2336937']
The problem with showing all the stuff left behind is that we don't know if the OWS people were chased out by cops, or otherwise not given time to gather their belongings. It may be they are rowdier than the Tea Partiers, and this results in stronger police reactions. I think the reaction to the OWS crowd shows that the typical government leader is too stupid to know that the overwhelming message from OWS would empower the government further, if heeded.
[/quote]

Yeah, in some other places the protesters cleaned up pretty well.

in some ways, your last statement there is incomplete. if a lot of the OWS protesters had their way, a lot of politicians would be losing friends with deep pockets.

Edited by Jesus_lol