An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Marriage Licenses Have A Two Year With An Expiration Date

add

[size=3]A proposal in Mexico City for marriage contracts with minimum durations of two years has raised eyebrows and prompted an outcry from the Catholic Church and left-wing politicians.[/size]

[size=3]SEE: [url="http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44724855/ns/today-weddings/t/til-do-us-part-mexico-mulls--year-marriage/#.TpS4DrIg-VQ"]http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44724855/ns/today-weddings/t/til-do-us-part-mexico-mulls--year-marriage/#.TpS4DrIg-VQ[/url][/size]

SEE: [url="http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Legislator+proposes+minimum+year+marriage+contracts/5523224/story.html"]http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Legislator+proposes+minimum+year+marriage+contracts/5523224/story.html[/url]

Just what is needed...a license to not care about or for any one but self.
[size=6][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#0000FF]way-to-go-Mexico[/color][/b][/font][/size]

The new proposal, from lawmaker Lizbeth Rosas, would involve a reform to the civil code to say: "the length of marriage will be decided by the term agreed by those signing the contract ... and it can't be less than two years."

This will be very interesting to see how it pans out. It seem like a good idea. At least someone is brave enough to try something different, given the high marriage failure rate these days.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1318444269' post='2320231']
Wedding rings are overrated. Don't need a ring to prove you are married. My wife and I don't wear them.
[/quote]
Good for you. Stick it to society.

Also, I never heard that wedding rings are for proving one is married. I always thought it is a recognizable symbol of love. I feel so stupid.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Note: I am NOT supporting the idea below, or the idea that the sacrament of marriage should have a vow of anything but "till death do us part."

For whatever reason, a few years ago I was reading about Scottish marriage customs in pre-Christian days. They had a custom called "hand fasting" whereby a couple would agree to live together as man and wife for "a year and a day." After a year, the couple had the option of extending the agreement for another year, making the marriage permanent, or deciding not to stay together. Apparently there were no negative repercussions or shame if the couple decided not to stay together. Any children that might result from a couple that decided not to stay together would be raised by the man's family.

I thought this was interesting, because I know I tend to think of "living together" without being married as a relatively new idea. What I think of as "new" is not the idea that a man and woman might live together without marriage (which I expect has gone on for a long time), but the idea that the community, as a good part of secular society does today, would easily accept the idea of living together without marriage as normal.

Some of the old Scottish customs were interesting. One custom was that of "jumping the broom" as a representation of keeping house together. I had always understood that the custom of "jumping the broom" was established by slaves who were not allowed by their owners to get married. Apparently "jumping the broom" goes back much further than that.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1318434594' post='2320158']
Perhaps jewelry stores could start renting wedding rings.
[/quote]
would you buy a used (former rental) wedding ring?

[quote name='add' timestamp='1318456856' post='2320308']
would you buy a used (former rental) wedding ring?
[/quote]
Yes, but since I am already married it doesn't matter.

If we want marriages to work, we have to make divorces harder to get, not easier. We love going the easy route rather than the right route. If you start a marriage with the understanding that divorce is never an option, then you have to work things out. Hard parts, icky parts, and out and out disasters happen in every marriage. Grown-ups deal with icky stuff. They don't run away from it.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1318444269' post='2320231']
Wedding rings are overrated. Don't need a ring to prove you are married. My wife and I don't wear them.
[/quote]

A couple I know got the infinity symbol tattoo'd on their left ring finger, because their professions don't really allow for them to wear rings, they'd get in the way too much. I think it's a good idea, I've never seen anyone else do it.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1318444872' post='2320237']
Good for you. Stick it to society.

Also, I never heard that wedding rings are for proving one is married. I always thought it is a recognizable symbol of love. I feel so stupid.
[/quote]
Well, its not a rebelious thing. Neither my wife or myself are into wearing jewlery, don't really care for it. It is not in opposition to an unwritten social norm.
Not coming from a religious background i don't have much of an uderstanding of symbollism, so didn't think about it being a symbol of love, actually I feel being married is the ultimate symbol of love for my wife, a ring is just an object.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1318446316' post='2320250']
I thought this was interesting, because I know I tend to think of "living together" without being married as a relatively new idea.
[/quote]
Of course people used to hook up and have families long before we devised the culture of marriage. In the history of time and for the thousands and thousand of years that mankind have existed, marriage is a relatively new concept.

I read a book once about Arab culture having temporary marriages,called Nikah mutah.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1318493289' post='2320534']
Of course people used to hook up and have families long before we devised the culture of marriage. In the history of time and for the thousands and thousand of years that mankind have existed, marriage is a relatively new concept.

I read a book once about Arab culture having temporary marriages,called Nikah mutah.
[/quote]

BOLOGNIE

missionseeker

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1318490207' post='2320529']
Well, its not a rebelious thing. Neither my wife or myself are into wearing jewlery, don't really care for it. It is not in opposition to an unwritten social norm.
Not coming from a religious background i don't have much of an uderstanding of symbollism, so didn't think about it being a symbol of love, actually I feel being married is the ultimate symbol of love for my wife, a ring is just an object.
[/quote]

Being married is the greatest ultimate ACT of love for your wife. The ring is the (a, whatever) symbol. :)

Edited by missionseeker