An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Are Prolife, How Do You Feel About Adoption?

Jesus_lol

There are plenty of married couples who want to adopt, but unfortunately there is a lot of "red tape" to cut through. I know of two personally who are in that boat.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1317995928' post='2317408']
I'm surprised that it would be cheaper, and I think that would somewhat depend on your requirements. I've heard stories like the one you've said fairly frequently, actually, when it comes to foreign adoptions, because the governments want the money to keep coming in, so they drag out the process to force more visits and additional fees and such. I think it really depends on how you do it in the states, and I know it gets easier and cheaper if you're willing to take kids with special needs and kids of a different skin color. I also know that it can be hard to get an accurate history for some kids with foreign adoptions, so you could end up adopting a child with special needs or at least very, very delayed due to early care, without really realizing it, anyway.
[/quote]

I agree with all you just said. I do know one couple who adopted two kids here in the US. It went pretty fast for the kid of a different skin color, but forever for the kid with the same.

I think if it's possible to get some legal reform to eliminate some of the red tape that would help. There's people who can afford to raise another child but who cannot afford all the fees currently associated with adoption. It's a sad thing :(

fides quarens intellectum

Even infant adoptions can be inexpensive - friends of mine lucked out by knowing a teen mom who wanted to give hers up, which cost them $1500 in legal fees, which is cheaper than our (hopefully) live birth is going to cost us (even with medical insurance).

We had actually started the process of becoming licensed for fostering to adopt during the few months between our pregnancies. I know foster care gets a bad rap, but there are so many children who become legally free to adopt (b/c parents lose rights and relatives don't step up) who have no one willing to adopt them.

[quote name='rachael' timestamp='1318201552' post='2318738']
I've always said that if I was going to have children, they would e adopted.
[/quote]

Any idea who you would let adopt your children?

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1318179844' post='2318551']
It is too bad, many prolife people i have talked to also said that they would never consider adopting a child, and others would refuse to allow tax money to help "aint my problem".

I understand the Catholic Church used to do alot of adoptions?
[/quote]
You're hanging with the wrong people.

At a federal level, you get to keep more of your money through tax deductions for adoption expenses.

In Texas, all adoption fees are paid for when adopting children in foster care. Catholic Charities in my town will work out finances if you cannot afford them all at once. Keep in mind that you can't work out a plan if you are living paycheck to paycheck. Adoption agencies will want to see some financial security.

By the way, our family will adopt you j_lol if you're looking.

Edited by kamiller42

[quote name='kamiller42' timestamp='1318483270' post='2320514']
You're hanging with the wrong people.

At a federal level, you get to keep more of your money through tax deductions for adoption expenses.

In Texas, all adoption fees are paid for when adopting children in foster care. Catholic Charities in my town will work out finances if you cannot afford them all at once. Keep in mind that you can't work out a plan if you are living paycheck to paycheck. Adoption agencies will want to see some financial security.

By the way, our family will adopt you j_lol if you're looking.
[/quote]
LOL, nah im good thanks!
:P
thats interesting to know how it is done down there

My husband and I feel like the "open to life" part of our marriage vows means being open to the possibility of adoption too. We don't have the finances for it right now, but we do plan to adopt in the future. I would love to see tax dollars go to making adoption more affordable.

Adoption is such a beautiful thing. It does require sacrifice on the part of the birth parents, but it seems like a more or less win-win situation. I think the government and non-profits can do alot to promote adoption as a feasible option by helping to reduce costs for the adoptive parents, and providing health care assistance for the birth parents who go through the pregnancy.

Also, it's really sad that it does cost so much to adopt a child. There are families who want a child more than anything -through adoption, especially if they can't have children of their own- and yet the cost from some agencies is up to $40,000!!!!!! (source: adoption.com)

I'm currently seriously discerning religious life, but if I'm meant to be married and have a family, that would also mean being open to adoption.

Lisa, if it's any conciliation, much of the expenses are returned in a tax credit, up to $13,170 per child currently, and non-recurring, i.e. you won't pay again when adopting a second child.

dominicansoul

A friend of mine is very active with the pro-life organizations in her home state, and she and her husband are challenging their prolife community to be open to adoptions. They feel that is the next step in our fight against abortion, we save the unborn babies, lets adopt those who no one else wants to care for...

I know it takes a great deal of discernment, because parenting is a vocation... through months of praying about it, she and her husband are in the process of adopting three young boys, all siblings...

Edited by dominicansoul

The adoption laws in this country need to be changed. I have 6 friends who have adopted. 2 of them adopted internationally. The issues with an American adoption are nerve wracking. A close friend of mine came close to losing her son adopted at birth when another "father" came forward and challenged the already final adoption. That cost alot of money that she and her husband did not have. Other friends adopted minority children although they had to deal with a few issues with that. Makes no sense to me why that is a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb8AeSh1rGs

:)

I'd consider adoption, but I'd be interested in having my own flesh and blood kids first.