An Old School Catholic Message Board

Will Obama Destroy Franciscan University Of Steubenville?

add

The Obama administration is showing it values that role not at all. It is attempting to crush The Franciscan University of Steubenville in Ohio. Mr. Obama’s HHS Secretary, Kathleen Sebelius, is trying to force Steubenville to dispense abortion-producing drugs and pay for sterilizations. This is a Roman Catholic institution. Such things are strictly proscribed by the Catholic faith.
Sec. Sebelius [catholic] may be aware that Catholic institutions are required by faith and fidelity to their mission to uphold these principles. It is an indispensable part of their mission and their reason for being. To force a Catholic institution to violate the consciences of its faculty, students and alumni is a grave sin.

This attempt to crush The Franciscan University of Steubenville is, tragically, not an isolated example. From the first days of the Obama administration, there has been a [i]kulturkampf[/i] (culture clash) against Catholic institutions .

The alum of Franciscan University are a model of what a Catholic University should be (and used to be common). The student's believe in Christ, read scripture, go to mass and get a great education.

We need to pray for them and consider supporting them.

Edited by add

OnlySunshine

Isn't FUS a private university? I thought private institutions were not government mandated, and therefore immune to their control. It's ridiculous how bad Obama's administration has gotten. They are out of control. I really cannot wait until he is out of office. :frown:

[quote name='regina_coeli' timestamp='1317567975' post='2313891']
Sources? How are other Catholic universities affected? FUS is just one of many in Ohio!
[/quote]
here is the story: [url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ken-blackwell/will-obama-destroy-franci_b_989529.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ken-blackwell/will-obama-destroy-franci_b_989529.html[/url]

Basilisa Marie

I find this is absolutely ridiculous and nothing more than unnecessary alarmist rhetoric. I'm entirely certain that the Obama administration has much bigger and more important things to do than to squash a small Catholic university that is almost completely unknown outside of Catholic circles. If anything we should be concerned about what the government may require all insurance companies, regardless of religious affiliation. No university is "dispensing" abortion drugs and paying for sterilizations, and the only way it could even be linked to that is if we're talking about the insurance it offers its employees.

Edited by Basilisa Marie

regina_coeli

Mr Blackwell is a Republican politician in Ohio, not a disinterested reporter. His goal is to bash Democrats, not support FUS. And why no mention of John Carroll U, Xavier U, Ohio Dominican, or the many other Catholic colleges nearby?

Deus te Amat

This also affects Christendom, Benedictine, the University of Dallas, and others. My school's president wrote a letter to the Secretary of Health in response. Instead of complaining, we should ALL voice the need of expanding the definition of "religious employer" to include religious institutions.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1317579533' post='2313992']
I find this is absolutely ridiculous and nothing more than unnecessary alarmist rhetoric. I'm entirely certain that the Obama administration has much bigger and more important things to do than to squash a small Catholic university that is almost completely unknown outside of Catholic circles. If anything we should be concerned about what the government may require all insurance companies, regardless of religious affiliation. No university is "dispensing" abortion drugs and paying for sterilizations, and the only way it could even be linked to that is if we're talking about the insurance it offers its employees.
[/quote]

STEUBENVILLE, OH—On September 22, Father Terence Henry, TOR, president of Franciscan University of Steubenville, submitted a public statement protesting new guidelines from the Department of Health and Human Services that force Catholic institutions to choose between faith and health care. These guidelines, slated to take effect August 1, 2012, require all individual and group health insurance plans, including self-insured plans, to cover all FDA-approved contraception and sterilization procedures (76 Fed. Reg. 46621, August 3, 2011).
[b]read story here: [/b][url="http://www.franciscan.edu/News/2011/FUS_Stands_Against_HHS_Mandate_Undermining_Religious_Liberty/"]http://www.francisca...igious_Liberty/[/url]

[b]and here:[/b] [url="http://www.hsconnect.com/page/content.detail/id/564818/University-opposes-new-law.html?nav=5010"]http://www.hsconnect.com/page/content.detail/id/564818/University-opposes-new-law.html?nav=5010[/url]

Edited by add

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317557442' post='2313844']
Isn't FUS a private university? I thought private institutions were not government mandated, and therefore immune to their control. It's ridiculous how bad Obama's administration has gotten. They are out of control. I really cannot wait until he is out of office. :frown:
[/quote]

Ohhh I totally agree!!!!!!!

dominicansoul

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1317579533' post='2313992']
I'm entirely certain that the Obama administration has much bigger and more important things to do than to squash a small Catholic university that is almost completely unknown outside of Catholic circles.
[/quote]

...like play golf?

...because they haven't done much for this country since last I checked...

dominicansoul

this administration is pro-death, pro-radical feminist agenda so this doesn't surprise me one bit...

...and of course they would be attacking Catholic universities... I mean, the Catholic voice is the loudest pro-life voice in america... the University of Stuebenville is a charismatic, energetic, youthful contingent of that voice

Sebillius needs to be excommunicated...