An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mary Ethel At The Convent 1960's(?) Video

brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmsjetOTvA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmsjetOTvA&feature=related[/url]

AccountDeleted

ok - what a blast from the past for me. I think the first nuns I ever saw were during the late fifties - early 60s, dressed in all white , and I asked my Catholic friend if they were angels and she told me they were nuns. From that moment on I wanted to be one of them! But of course, being from an agnostic family who thought all religion was an 'opiate of the masses', there wasn't much I could do about it. I did sneak next door to my friend's house every night before dinner to pray the Rosary with them - they had lots of kids and used to keep all the Rosaries hanging up in the kitchen on little hooks, and we would go get one and get it down to use.

The Novice in this video is just like the one I saw! :) And she seems so happy and a little self-consciousness at her new habit, the way she keeps holding out the scapular as if she can't believe it! I hope she is still in religious life today, but whatever has happened to her, may God bless her for he love and offering to Him at that time! Thanks for sharing that video. I love having broadband now so I can watch the videos!!!

brandelynmarie

I"m so glad you enjoyed it & it brought up fond memories. :) I, too, used to go to my friend's house to pray the rosary when I was a Baptist. And her mother ended up being my sponsor! Yes, I wish we could know her name in religion. Unless it is/was Sr. Mary Ethel. :nunpray:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317535607' post='2313754']
Oh & notice the advert for ChristianMingle.com??? On a video about nuns!?! :doh:
[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed that - kind funny huh?

Hats are making a comeback, but not those 1960 type models seen in the video. These latest ones are called 'fascinators' and are just feathers, net and bows. And they are 'tiny'!!

brandelynmarie

Maybe the Wearing A Veil to Mass Thread ladies should take a look at this!

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317542503' post='2313784']
Oh how lovely! I love the way cinefilm always makes people look like they are waddling :saint2:
[/quote]

:hehe2:

AccountDeleted

I like the kind that Jackie Kennedy used to wear, nice and simple and plain - no feathers or frills.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317544151' post='2313800']
That woman had class, that's for sure. :proud:
[/quote]

I only wish I had that kind of style.