An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is The Old Testement Really Gods Word ?

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1317203507' post='2311563']
Evidence of god would be nice, evidence of heaven, evidence of hell. Clarity on many things e.g. why women aren't to be ordained, why it is wrong for people to have homosexual sex, why there are so many opposing religions, all with the requirement of belief, why there are religios wars when if evidence were provided then everyone would be on the same page.
Surely, hypothetically speaking, if you did get to meet god in person on earth, there must be some questions that you would have that you wish to have clarity on.
[/quote]

there are many ways to justify the old testament.

some are "God letting bad things happen to people, rather than proactively doing the bad things", "bad things like killing rape etc were done by people and not by God and just because it's in the bible doesn't mean God condones it" "the punishment people deserve for anything bad, is death.. so if you do bad and God kills you, you're gettin what you deserve. now that Jesus has come, God is much more lenient"

then, look to see if you can find loop holes like God Killing the innocent, or having them raped. or God causing the bad things instead of just letting it happen. if they weren't bad and deserving, i dont see it.

like once, no joke, a bunch of kids were mauled by bears for makin fun of a guy who was bald. apparently cause he was bald. the guy curse dthem in the name of the lord and they were mauled. first the kids were bad, and second, it could jus be God letting nature take its course instead of saving them like he otherwise might've.
i mean, i'm all about making sure people see this stuff, and distrusting it etc. but
i try to give the benefi of the doubt whenever possible. believe me, the old testament is hanging by a thread with me. i just haven't sealed the nail on it.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1317311187' post='2312270']
like once, no joke, a bunch of kids were mauled by bears for makin fun of a guy who was bald. apparently cause he was bald. the guy curse dthem in the name of the lord and they were mauled. first the kids were bad, and second, it could jus be God letting nature take its course instead of saving them like he otherwise might've.
[/quote]
But children are immature and don't often think things through. They need guidance and they need to learn life's lessons.

The Super Nanny would be mortified to hear that someone sent a couple of bears to maul the poor kids for calling someone names.
Firstly, the children need to be warned, they need to have the issue explained to them and be told of the consequences. If they continue then they go to naughty corner, after a while they get it all explained again, then they get to say sorry, get a hug and everyone then forgives, forgets and moves on. Killing them (without warning) seems way OTT (Over the top).

some are "God letting bad things happen to people, rather than proactively doing the bad things", "bad things like killing rape etc were done by people and not by God and just because it's in the bible doesn't mean God condones it" "the punishment people deserve for anything bad, is death.. so if you do bad and God kills you, you're gettin what you deserve. now that Jesus has come, God is much more lenient"

then, look to see if you can find loop holes like God Killing the innocent, or having them raped. or God causing the bad things instead of just letting it happen. if they weren't bad and deserving, i dont see it.

i mean, i'm all about making sure people see this stuff, and distrusting it etc. but
i try to give the benefi of the doubt whenever possible. believe me, the old testament is hanging by a thread with me. i just haven't sealed the nail on it.
[/quote]
[img]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/HuskerPreacher/ConfusedCat2.jpg[/img]

KnightofChrist

As I understand it they were not children. But rather something more like snotty and mocking college students.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1317332692' post='2312544']As I understand it they were not children. But rather something more like snotty and mocking college students.[/quote]So college students deserved to be mauled to death by bears? Or snotty and mocking persons should be mauled to death by bears? Why must you be such an advocate for killing?

If anyone deserves that fate, it is college students.

Mao tried to kill off all the educated people in his country. It wasn't a successful strategy.

Aha, now I know what happened to Winchester's post. At first I thought he was writing lines like Bart Simpson does on the blackboard.

Edited by stevil

Mark of the Cross

[/quote]
[img]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/23/129165187334369262.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1316967140' post='2309753']
I always knew about the stories in the o.t. I guess my thing is I can't see how Jesus from the new testament and God from the old testament could be the same person. It really doesn't seem logical to me. They are complete opposite. Which leads me to the question how credibile is the old testament ?
[/quote]

It is written, in Matt 22:29-32

29 Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead — have you not read what God said to you, 32'[b]I am the God of Abraham , the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'[/b]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

And also in Eph 4:4-6
4 There is one body and one Spirit— just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism ; 6[b] one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.[/b]
----------------------------------------

Therefore, the God of Abraham is the God of Paul and something is wrong if you do not see it.

Edited by reyb

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1317607138' post='2314280']

It is written, in Matt 22:29-32

29 Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead — have you not read what God said to you, 32'[b]I am the God of Abraham , the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'[/b]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

And also in Eph 4:4-6
4 There is one body and one Spirit— just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism ; 6[b] one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.[/b]
----------------------------------------

Therefore, the God of Abraham is the God of Paul and something is wrong if you do not see it.
[/quote]
He sees it because Jesus said
[quote]Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets: I came not to destroy, but to fulfil.[/quote]
This tells us that much of the OT is not complete it becomes complete when Jesus fulfils it as told in the NT. Something is wrong if you do not see it.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1317628576' post='2314453']
He sees it because Jesus said

This tells us that much of the OT is not complete it becomes complete when Jesus fulfils it as told in the NT. Something is wrong if you do not see it.
[/quote]

Okay. The God of the Prophets is the same God of the Apostle Paul. So how about the 'killing and massacre' of innocent children written in the old testament?

AccountDeleted

[quote name='reyb' timestamp='1317629372' post='2314458']

Okay. The God of the Prophets is the same God of the Apostle Paul. So how about the 'killing and massacre' of innocent children written in the old testament?
[/quote]

Isn't this the same topic as the one about God being a moral monster???

and to quote Aya Sophia over there.... The non-believer, on the other hand, seems unware that he himself is not God and, whether he intends to or not, he puts himself in the place of God or on a par with God.

dairygirl4u2c

2 Kings 2
"As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. “Go on up, you baldhead!” they said. “Go on up, you baldhead!” [b]24[/b] He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths."

it actually makes me laugh, when i read it. it's written almost as if by a professional comedian, mock-umenter. an it's like... really??

Edited by dairygirl4u2c