An Old School Catholic Message Board

United Nations Moratorium On The Death Penalty

Mr.Cat

Public poll  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1317142860' post='2311052']Sorry. "Perhaps this [i]fact [/i]will aid you. . ."[/quote]Sometimes people can be dense.

In all seriousness Winchester's comment amounts to this. "At one time they did "X" so any effort to stop doing "X" is clearly hypocritical and wrong. " What internet foolishness, unless I am misunderstanding Winchester. Perhaps why Winchester is free to explain or elaborate more on this position. So when you are done trolling my topic, someone could tell me how this is somehow hypocritical or relevant... since the non-binding resolution doesn't actually call for an abolition of capital punishment.

I suppose it would be like if I said, "[i]Floopy Catholics. They condemn the religious executions done by Islam even though they have done the same.[/i]" In a topic about the Pope calling for religious liberty, tolerance, and limiting the death penalty. So if you are alright with me calling Catholics hypocrites for things that happened centuries ago that they clearly have corrected, then feel free to continue imagining that Winchester's has some kind of relevance.

But seriously, I was willing to concede that there was some actual relevance to this topic, but I asked for a source. So you gave me "this". Which after close examination I guess you believe repeating the accusation it is from the United Nations IS a source. Typical theists, thinking that repeating a claim makes it evidence and a source.

Next time you fell the compulsion to troll my topic with non-red ink fragmented corrections of a pedantic nature, please do so with a red pen on your monitor, as to avoid any confusion, frustration, or distraction. Thank you.[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1317142860' post='2311052']I do know that. I also know that I am colorblind and cannot delineate between any of a number of shades of green/orange/brown/red which are available in the color palate.[/quote]...

[color=#008000][b]I [/b][/color][b][color=#00ff00]a[/color][color=#006400]p[/color][color=#ffa500]o[/color][color=#a52a2a]l[/color][color=#800000]o[/color][color=#b22222]g[/color][color=#ff0000]i[/color][color=#ffa07a]z[/color][color=#8b4513]e[/color][color=#FFA500].[/color][/b]

Edited by Mr.Cat

[quote name='Mr.Cat' timestamp='1317119521' post='2310891']
Rant as defined by a dictionary. "[i]To speak or write in an angry or violent manner. To utter or express with violence or extravagance. Violent or extravagant speech or writing.[/i]" You frequently decide to pick at someone for some small and trivial issue of grammar or spelling, on an Internet message board, in your free time. Normally in a mocking and belittling tone. Which doesn't contribute to the discussion at all. In fact it has the tendency to subtract from the discussion and distract from it. So yes, I would qualify all these quips you have been throwing out over the past... at least three to four years... as one long pedantic rant.

You are on the Internet Winchester, the place where the English language is so horribly abused, most of the time it's barely even recognizable. But this is the place, in your free time, in arguments you are having, that has nothing to do with the actual topic, you decide to bring up some pedantic point... which usually ignores the entire discussion.No... but you came to a topic on [b]limiting the death penalty [/b]and decided to throw in a vague and unreferenced jab at the United Nations. Forgive me Winchester, how is this relevant? I have also noticed you haven't polled yet, is there a reason why you have decided to not give us your opinion?

But yeah... [b]I miss your pedantic rants[/b]. At least then you were amusing to watch.
[/quote]
I view it as Quixotic.

I did give you an opinion. I didn't answer your poll questions because llamas.

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='organwerke' timestamp='1317125075' post='2310913']

It is really odd that opposed as I usually am to Mr. Cath's ideas and behaviours I completely agree with him in this post.
At the end of my second year as a Phatmass member I'm still trying to understand the sense of Winchester's posts here.
Not that I don't sleep during the night for this anyway...
[/quote]
That there is one single, unified theme throughout all my posts is a real breakthrough in understanding them. I will neither confirm nor deny your theory, but I will acknowledge that it is an exciting proposal. Very exciting, indeed!

[quote name='Mr.Cat' timestamp='1317159494' post='2311183']
Sometimes people can be dense.

In all seriousness Winchester's comment amounts to this. "At one time they did "X" so any effort to stop doing "X" is clearly hypocritical and wrong. " What internet foolishness, unless I am misunderstanding Winchester. Perhaps why Winchester is free to explain or elaborate more on this position. So when you are done trolling my topic, someone could tell me how this is somehow hypocritical or relevant... since the non-binding resolution doesn't actually call for an abolition of capital punishment.

I suppose it would be like if I said, "[i]Floopy Catholics. They condemn the religious executions done by Islam even though they have done the same.[/i]" In a topic about the Pope calling for religious liberty, tolerance, and limiting the death penalty. So if you are alright with me calling Catholics hypocrites for things that happened centuries ago that they clearly have corrected, then feel free to continue imagining that Winchester's has some kind of relevance.

But seriously, I was willing to concede that there was some actual relevance to this topic, but I asked for a source. So you gave me "this". Which after close examination I guess you believe repeating the accusation it is from the United Nations IS a source. Typical theists, thinking that repeating a claim makes it evidence and a source.

Next time you fell the compulsion to troll my topic with non-red ink fragmented corrections of a pedantic nature, please do so with a red pen on your monitor, as to avoid any confusion, frustration, or distraction. Thank you....

[color=#008000][b]I [/b][/color][b][color=#00ff00]a[/color][color=#006400]p[/color][color=#ffa500]o[/color][color=#a52a2a]l[/color][color=#800000]o[/color][color=#b22222]g[/color][color=#ff0000]i[/color][color=#ffa07a]z[/color][color=#8b4513]e[/color][color=#FFA500].[/color][/b]
[/quote]
:cry3:

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1317222190' post='2311673']
[color=#B22222]Stop [/color][color=#FFA07A]making[/color] [color=#00FF00]fun[/color] [color=#ADD8E6]of[/color] [color=#8B4513]me!![/color]
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure we are not supposed to make fun of handicaps, like color blindness, haromal imbalances, or cripplingly good looks.

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1316929366' post='2309576']The death penalty's been around since Cain slew Abel (I know, I know, that was a crime, not a death penalty, but you know what I mean), [/quote]
Interestingly, in his Encyclical "Evangelium Vitae" Pope John Paul II cites St. Ambrose using the story of Cain and Abel as an instance where the death penalty was NOT used:

[quote]
And yet God, who is always merciful even when he punishes, "put a mark on Cain, lest any who came upon him should kill him" (Gen 4:15). He thus gave him a distinctive sign, not to condemn him to the hatred of others, but to protect and defend him from those wishing to kill him, even out of a desire to avenge Abel's death. Not even a murderer loses his personal dignity, and God himself pledges to guarantee this. And it is pre- cisely here that the paradoxical mystery of the merciful justice of God is shown forth. As Saint Ambrose writes: "Once the crime is admitted at the very inception of this sinful act of parricide, then the divine law of God's mercy should be immediately extended. If punishment is forthwith inflicted on the accused, then men in the exercise of justice would in no way observe patience and moderation, but would straightaway condemn the defendant to punishment. ... God drove Cain out of his presence and sent him into exile far away from his native land, so that he passed from a life of human kindness to one which was more akin to the rude existence of a wild beast. God, who preferred the correction rather than the death of a sinner, did not desire that a homicide be punished by the exaction of another act of homicide".

--Pope John Paul II, "Evangelium Vitae" #9[/quote]

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1317228213' post='2311724']
I'm pretty sure we are not supposed to make fun of handicaps, like color blindness, haromal imbalances, or cripplingly good looks.
[/quote]
Haromal - of or having the qualities of a harom (harem?)

Groo the Wanderer

what a farce! Mexico voted for the resolution, yet they summarily shoot illegal aliens crossing the border from Guatemala. Russia voted for the resolution on the heels of Stalin, Kruschev, and the KGB.

but then again, the UN itself is a farce.....

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1317301716' post='2312173']what a farce! Mexico voted for the resolution, yet they summarily shoot illegal aliens crossing the border from Guatemala. Russia voted for the resolution on the heels of Stalin, Kruschev, and the KGB.

but then again, the UN itself is a farce.....[/quote]At least you voted in favor of the farce! :winner:

But... Mexico and Russia have abolished capital punishment for all offenses.

Edited by Mr.Cat