An Old School Catholic Message Board

Uk Benedictine Nuns Offer Online Retreats Video - Digitaldame's

Chiara Francesco

Chiara Francesco

Our DigitalDame's community!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12828688

3/23/11

[i]"The idea of going somewhere for a bit of quiet contemplation might seem appealing but for many it would prove difficult to find the time. But two Benedictine Nuns at the Holy Trinity Monastery near Oxford have come up with a possible solution by offering online retreats."[/i]

Chiara Francesco

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1316321808' post='2306143']
Do you have a link to their website?
[/quote]

Yep: http://benedictinenuns.org.uk/

Chiara Francesco

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1316326754' post='2306163']
Why are the sisters referred to as Dame rather than sister? Is this a british thing?
[/quote]

No it's a Benedictine thing! Some Benedictine communities keep this practice like East Hendred (this community) and others don't like Colwich and others.

If you read "In This House of Brede", they professed sisters are called "Dame".

The Tyburn Benedictines, all the professed sisters become "Mother". I think this is strange because there are SO many mothers and then what do you call the REAL mother - the superior?! I guess I'd get used to it but it's just to unusual for me.

Edited by Chiara Francesco

I saw them of breakfast TV when they first started doing this and thought it was such a cool idea! No good for me, sadly, as I don't even get to go to the loo in peace, let alone have an at home retreat!

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1316323701' post='2306153']

Yep: [url="http://benedictinenuns.org.uk/"]http://benedictinenuns.org.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you, chica. Must check this out at some point...but hopefully I will be making a retreat in "real-time" within the next few weeks....

Oh & under what heading are these on-line retreats found? I am having difficulty finding them... :help:

Edited by brandelynmarie

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1316358033' post='2306235']

Thank you, chica. Must check this out at some point...but hopefully I will be making a retreat in "real-time" within the next few weeks....

Oh & under what heading are these on-line retreats found? I am having difficulty finding them... :help:
[/quote]

Hi, the retreats themselves are on www.onlineretreats.org there's a link on the website. They're running a special price, their first five-minute focus retreat on Lectio Divina is only £10.

AccountDeleted

Online retreats can be great for those who don't have other options, but I prefer to go someplace totally silent, and meet with a director once a day.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1316430115' post='2306823']
Online retreats can be great for those who don't have other options, but I prefer to go someplace totally silent, and meet with a director once a day.
[/quote]

I agree. I think having the physical isolation helps a lot.

brandelynmarie

aye, this is me preference too, but I be thinkin' this may be good in the winter with bad weather & especially with only weekends off. If I do make an on-line retreat I will let y'all know about me experience. It sounds interestin' :)

• 5 weeks later...
sistersintigo

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1316458882' post='2307110']
aye, this is me preference too, but I be thinkin' this may be good in the winter with bad weather & especially with only weekends off. If I do make an on-line retreat I will let y'all know about me experience. It sounds interestin' :)
[/quote]
Love them Benedictine pirates me hearties.