An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Social Security A Ponzi Scheme?

Lil Red

no one should equate gov welfare and charity. even leftist quacks shouldnt, although im sure some do.
when it's done right, government help isn' tabout charity,, or helping for teh sake of helping, for the sake of morality per se. it's about addressing fundamental flaws in socieity, the way it's structured etc. not a matter of charity, but 'right'

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Mr.Cat' timestamp='1317316098' post='2312329']
Winchester, you non-christian communist, why don't you ever learn to stop accusing people of things that their not? I mean, it's not like I am making fun of your nationalist and soviet leanings. I'm sure you have good reasons for opposing democracy and libertarianism, but really... really Winchester?[/quote]
realli

[quote]
:hehe2: You are funny comrade Winchester, your holy book says those who don't work shouldn't eat, and you think social security is a ponzi scheme because almost the entire Republican party disagrees with that statement.
[/quote]
I didn't say it because almost the entire Republican party disagrees with it, which is an interesting time paradox.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1317316385' post='2312333']no one should equate gov welfare and charity. even leftist quacks shouldnt, although im sure some do.
when it's done right, government help isn' tabout charity,, or helping for teh sake of helping, for the sake of morality per se. it's about addressing fundamental flaws in socieity, the way it's structured etc. not a matter of charity, but 'right'[/quote]Dairygirl, I think it's a bit obvious I wasn't. But you can answer my question since you claim the Bible is important to you. Should those who don't work eat?[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1317316550' post='2312336']realli

I didn't say it because almost the entire Republican party disagrees with it, [u]which is an interesting time paradox[/u].[/quote]You get props only because you said time paradox. It was the phrase of the day.

Edited by Mr.Cat

those who don't work, shouldn't get handouts, no. that's what the bible says, i think in Acts. i agree.
and of course, it could be further clarified, that if you are willing ot work, tryin etc... aren't just down on your luck... there's probably an exception that they should be able to eat.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1317306395' post='2312219']
[/size]
Money is accepted because it is more convenient than barter. In fact, it is so convenient that it improves the standard of living.[/quote]
It improves the standard of living? For some, perhaps. It certainly hasn't helped the Africans too much.

[quote]Monetary manipulation by a central power has always been the cause of hyper-inflation.
[/quote]
But there is no independent currency to compare this to?

Edited by ParadiseFound

[quote name='ParadiseFound' timestamp='1317395117' post='2312820']
It improves the standard of living? For some, perhaps. It certainly hasn't helped the Africans too much.[/quote]
Africa is a big place. Which area are you thinking of?

[quote]But there is no independent currency to compare this to?
[/quote]
I'm afraid I don't understand the point of your question.

[quote name='ParadiseFound' timestamp='1317395117' post='2312820']
It improves the standard of living? For some, perhaps. It certainly hasn't helped the Africans too much.[/quote]

What is your definition of 'money'?

[quote]But there is no independent currency to compare this to?
[/quote]

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='Mr.Cat' timestamp='1317314144' post='2312291']
Winchester is right, certain people don't deserve food... according to the Bible; "[i]For also when we were with you, this we declared to you: that, if any man will not work, neither let him eat.[/i]" (2 Thessalonians 2:10)[/quote]
Dear Biblical Scholar, could you please tell me which translation of the bible you are using?

Edited by kamiller42

ParadiseFound

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1317399520' post='2312857']

What is your definition of 'money'?

[/quote]
All of it, unless you're suggesting that Africa isn't commonly considered a third world continent.

Coins.

That you can't say the 'history of government intervention in money' because there's no history of no government intervention of money.

Edited by ParadiseFound

[quote name='ParadiseFound' timestamp='1317501919' post='2313484']
All of it, unless you're suggesting that Africa isn't commonly considered a third world continent[/quote]
My mistake. I thought we were dealing with reality. In that case, I counter with Newton's Third Law of Aardvarks.

[quote]Coins.

That you can't say the 'history of government intervention in money' because there's no history of no government intervention of money.
[/quote]
Fiat money has not always been a reality, nor has the government always had a monopoly on money.

ParadiseFound

[size=4]If you've got examples of non-government monopoly money, I'd love to hear them. They're kind of superseded by government monopoly on violence, which enables them to just take the whatevers though. [/size]

Edited by ParadiseFound

[url="http://mises.org/books/historyofmoney.pdf"]http://mises.org/boo...toryofmoney.pdf[/url]

There are many other books on the history of money, but Rothbard provides a great deal of information about the evolution of fiat money in the United States. I cannot think of an existing government that has not discovered the great advantage of controlling the money supply.

Edited by Winchester

I have yet to read a complete Menger work, but this might be my first one.

http://mises.org/books/origins_of_money.pdf