An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocations Related Gaffes......

maximillion

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1315882254' post='2304052']
I put a kickball through a stained glass window into the confessional while it was in use.
[/quote]

:shock:

rotfl

I was visiting some Sisters for the first time. One of the senior sisters was saying that they used to have Mass in their chapel twice a day, which was nice because if you had to miss one you could go to the other. But then when Bishop Shaw came in that stopped, he said he had better things for the priests to do. So now they only have the one.

Hmmm, I think. Bishop Shaw ... don't think I heard of that one. There was Cardinal Law. And I've heard of a Cardinal Cushing in the 50s.

So, I make conversation. I don't think I've heard of him. When was that?

She looks at me oddly. Oh, it was a few years ago ...

Ohhhh. Bishop SEAN. Whom I would typically refer to as Cardinal O'Malley, because I am a dolt. But "Sean" is a religious name so technically that's correct (and he likes to be less formal -- can't be terribly informal when you are a Cardinal but he tries).

Note: it does not make the best of impressions when you appear to not be familiar with the current Cardinal Archbishop of your very own diocese!

:blush:

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1315882254' post='2304052']
I put a kickball through a stained glass window into the confessional while it was in use.
[/quote]

ditto the :o rotfl

were you next in line?

I asked Sr. ME if I could call her at 8am central time, 9am eastern. Turns out, we're both in the central time zone! Eek! I don't even know what time zone the NDs are in...

AND I'M CALLING HER IN THREE MINUTES!!!

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1315878697' post='2304027']
In Carmel, the oblong linen refectory napkin stretches out across the table in front of you and has all your tableware - bowls of food, utensils, "godet" of water, your coffee mug, etc. - laid out on top of it. One end if folded over a bit at the outer edge of the table, the other end you tuck in at the top of your scapular or, if you're a postulant, as I was, you pin to the front of your cape. Autumn was advancing and the days were getting shorter. Now it was dark outside by the time we were in the refectory for collation. Collation was in progress one evening when a Sister asked Our Mother's permission to close the shutters over the windows. My place at table was just in front of a window. When I heard the other shutters being closed I leaned toward our NM and asked should I close the one behind me. She nodded yes. In one deft movement I rose from my seat and swung around to the left, reaching both arms upward toward the shutters, neatly yanking the refectory napkin after me and flipping my bowl of food onto the floor! To cap it off, as the Sisters were trying to fatten me up, my supper that evening very specially included a nice fried egg with a runny yolk. (I really did intend to eat it - honest!) I glanced toward Sister Mistress and, dead pan though she was, I could see irrefutable evidence of a smile playing on her lips.

:jester:
[/quote]

I found myself thinking I can guarantee I will do something like this when I visited NH! We didn't use these at Q so there wasn't the same risk.