An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's In Your Breviary?

LaPetiteSoeur

I have far to many to mention but will name the favorites:

Statue of St. Peter and Cross of St. Peter - upside down cross

Stone Plaque with Words God danced the day you were born and others from Abbey Press

A holy card titled The Eucharist with prayer on the back and jesusin beautiful robes lined with gold holding the Chalice in his left hand and the Host in his right hand;
Prayer Card of Our Lady of the Miraculous medal
Postcard of St. Francis Xavier Church depicting images on stained glass window from Mother Setons Community in Emmitsburg, MD
Holy Card of Saint John Mary Vianney
Holy Card of St. Philomena, Patroness of the Living Rosary and Patroness of the Children of Mary - Chaplet on reverse
Prayer Card of St. Francis of Assisi with Prayer of Peace on the back
Prayer Card Novena to St. Anthony
Prayer Card St. Lucy with Prayer

In my Bible:
Cover has the Footprints scene and poem

A holy card that was distributed by the MaryknollnSisters with artwork "Show Me Your Face" by Susanmarie Doyle 1994

2 prayer cards of St. Jude - Healing Prayer and the other has the Prayer in honor of St. Jude

Saints A year in Faith and Art by Rosa Giorgi which illustrates the saints of the Liturgical calendar and popular tradition.

that is just the surface of my desk.

Such a great topic! I loved reading all the responses.

In my Bible I have a prayer card with a picture of the Presentation of Jesus on one side, and a prayer to St. Joseph to know God's will on the other.

On the wall next to my bed I have a Divine Mercy prayer card and a St. Michael the Archangel prayer card...hanging on another wall I have a rosary given to me by dear friends...on my dresser I have a version of the Beatitudes.

+Pax Christi
Sophia

In my Bible I mostly have prayer cards and such, nothing out of the ordinary.
Also in my room I have an icon of Jesus as the Good Shepherd, little porcelain statues of St. Therese, St. Peter, and the Sacred Heart of Jesus, several crucifixes (I have 3--one above my bed, a little one on my bedside table, and the third is a pocket-sized one from a Come & See weekend and I accidentally broke it) and I have a whole stack of prayer cards and such held together by a rubber band.

To be honest with you my most prized possession right now, if I could call it that, is probably my rosary blessed in 2000 by Blessed John Paul II. I mostly use the JPII-rosary on special occasions or favorite Feast Days or something like that though. I should use it more.
My other favorite thing in my room besides the that and the crucifixes is a leather case thing containing a medal of St. Francis and a medal of St. Clare my art teacher bought for me in Assisi.

Oh and before I forget there's a little book of Mass readings and stuff [i]from 1899 [/i]that my grandma gave me. It's in Latin on one page and the English translation is on the next page. It's really fragile.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1315854069' post='2303881']

the cheap(er) version: [url="http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Prayer-Catholic-Book-Publishing/dp/0899424066"]http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0899424066[/url]
[/quote]

Oh! I have one of those!! I had thought a Breviary was different.

Well, In that case, I dont have anything in it...

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1315877695' post='2304019']

Oh! I have one of those!! I had thought a Breviary was different.

Well, In that case, I dont have anything in it...
[/quote]
i think what most of us call the Breviary is the 4-volume version. :idontknow:

o jesu mi dulcis

What a fun topic! In my breviary I have:

LoTH supplements

Little hour hymns

Poor Clare family prayers

spiritual surgery prayer

2 Blessed John Paul II holy cards

That's all in this volume! I move the ribbon markers I made between volumes, too. :smile4:

In my missal I have a picture of the Madonna with Child from a church in Nice (with a novena to the Immaculate Conception on the back) and a picture of Benedict XVI (with a prayer for the Pope on the back). This is a new missal so I need time to get lots of things there. I also have two ordination cards that I left at home. For my apartment, I have seen statues of St Therese and St Anthony (of Padua) in a shop and I think I will buy them soon.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1315885455' post='2304080']
i think what most of us call the Breviary is the 4-volume version. :idontknow:
[/quote]

Or the UK 3 volume set :P

A breviary is any one of the books used for reciting the Divine Office (Liturgy of the Hours to all you Yanks!) and it could also be the Shorter Christian Prayer book, which is a 1 volume version or even the Little Office of the BVM. The recitation of the Divine Office (the official prayers of the Catholic Church) is a rqeuirement for all priests and religious (although not all are required to rrecite all 7 hours).