An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's In Your Breviary?

LaPetiteSoeur

*or Bible/prayer book

Time for a fun topic! In my really old breviary, recently spruced up with tape, I have tons of fun stuff.

In the front: A Franciscan Morning Prayer
A prayer for Spiritual Communion

In the back, I have a bunch of prayers I like to say in a St. Therese card.
A prayer written by a friend's mother
A prayer to St. Catherine Laboure
A prayer to St. Dominic
Prayer to St. Catherine of Siena
A prayer to St. Thomas Aquinas
A prayer to St. Cecilia
Prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Prayer for graces through the intercession of St. Faustina
Act of Total Consecration to Mary
Prayer for Vocations
Daily Prayer to the Blessed Mother for Purity.

Other fun religious things in my room: since I'm at school, I had to bring a bit of home, so the Divine Mercy is on my wall, along with a picture of Mama Mary. Over my bed is the San Damiano Cross (one of my favorite art pieces to study!). Then, over my desk I have two pictures: one of Servant of God Sr. Maria Leonia Nastal and one of Bl. Katarzyna Celestyna Faron, who died at Auschwitz--to remind me to persevere! On my desk I have an icon of the BVM. They remind me of home and of my faith all the time, so I am inspired to do well in school.

So: what's in your breviary and room? What reminds you to keep praying and be faithful?

Totally Franciscan

This is a fun topic! I have many Jubilee Cards from nuns, either relatives or friends. My special card is from Assisi when I visited the tomb of St. Clare. It was handed to me by one of the Poor Clares there and it shows St. Clare without the mask that they now have on her face. I have a lovely picture of the Sacred Heart right next to my monitor (when I worked from home typing medical reports, I used to pray to this picture of the Sacred Heart for those patients in great need), and a picture of Divine Mercy, wherein I tucked a picture of my former postulant mistress; she just turned 95 years old! All these are treasures.

Funeral cards, mostly. Interesting to see the development in the translation of the Byzantine prayer for the dead, as well as from pictures of portraits of St. Therese? to Rublev's Trinity.

MargaretTeresa

Um, a bunch of prayer cards I've collected over the past year or so. A couple of notebook papers with phone numbers of sisters or important Christian things to remember... yeah. pretty much. :P

I'm a bit of a minimalist and prefer one or 2 cards that mean a lot to me over lots that I quite like. I have a cross-stitched very fine alpha and omega bookmark in my Bible that I made myself, a couple of profession/funeral cards in my DO book and 3 postcards in my room - a lovely one of the crucifixion shaddowed onto the Eucharist, an icon of OLOWalsingham and a modern icon of Carmelite saints.

A few prayer cards, sometimes I use them as book marks.
My bulletin board is much more interesting. Around the sides there are various prayer cards. In the center a crucifix given to me by a dear friend. Below it there is an image of the Blessed Mother. Also a Mary calendar (its amesome cause it has all the feasts and such). I have other little things from retreats that I have been on scattered all over it. Oh and I can't forget the picture of me and some Little Sisters of the Poor with a Llama!

fun topic! I took some stuff out, so here's what's in mine right now:

-LotH supplement
-rosary cheat sheet
-a photobooth picture of my husband and i
-a laminated prayer card (i made up myself) with The Angelus on one side and the Litany of Humility on the other
-a prayer card that a pm'er gave me
-Divine Mercy bookmark
-Brief Examen of Conscience (for before you go to bed)

ooh, ooh the Litany of Humility. The community I was with in Argentina prays that. I have that in my LotH (well I have the little booklet that the community would use to pray)

Fun topic!

LOTH supplement cards
Prayer Intentions said at Vespers with my community
Prayer for Union with Jesus (Sacred Heart image)
Sacred Heart image
St. Teresa's bookmark ("Let nothing disturb you...")
Sr. M. Teresa of the Holy Trinity, D.C.J. prayer card
St. Therese prayer card
Bl. Maria Teresa of St. Joseph prayer card
Name of a 7th grader to pray for
Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity prayer card
Daily Prayer to the Bl. Virgin
Consecration to Jesus through Mary

In the 'paper version' various prayer card/markers, mainly from Ars, (St John Vianney is a great friend of mine) also the Pieta. But I also have "Universalis" on my android so none there!

Strictlyinkblot

As I'm Irish, a little statue of Our Lady of Knock and a sun catcher of St. Patrick on my window. I also have a picture of the Divine Mercy with a prayer card tucked into the frame that has the St. Michael's prayer on it. A few relic prayer cards around, a crucifix and picture of Our Lady Queen of Peace. In my breviary I've a small card with the image of Our Lady of the Sorrowful Heart, otherwise known as Our Lady of Notting Hill.

Gosh, I have a ton of things in the zipper section of my bible cover and I added more to it this weekend with the little gifts we received during CHRP including:

A little heart that we got after Confession (they originally gave us a stone and then traded us when we came out of Confession)
The Good Shepherd's Pocket Prayer book

I also have:

Pen
Two Prayer cards for St. Catherine of Siena
A holy card of the mysteries of the rosary
A prayer card to Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament
A prayer card to St. Elizabeth of Hungary (one of my favorite saints!)
A prayer card to St. Anne (my confirmation saint)
A prayer card of the Holy Family with the Divine Praises on the back
A prayer card to St. Dominic
A prayer card to St. Rose of Lima (another favorite saint!)
A prayer card to St. Thomas Aquinas
A prayer card to St. Martin de Porres
A holy card with an image of Our Lady of Pompeii giving the rosary to St. Dominic and St. Catherine (with rosary prayer directions on back)

Inside the front cover of my bible:

A prayer card of Our Lady of Guadalupe with the Magnificat on the back
The Divine Mercy Novena and Chaplet pamphlet
A Holy card of the Divine Mercy
A prayer card of Divine Mercy with the Act of Contrition and Examination of Conscience
A business card with my pastor's contact information and Church address
A booklet that I got from my young adult group's spiritual director after Confession called "The Divine Mercy: Message and Devotion"

As you can see, I've collected a lot of prayer cards on the Dominican saints and I also have TONS of stuff about Divine Mercy (my favorite devotion of all!). ;)

Strictlyinkblot

As you can see, I've collected a lot of prayer cards on the Dominican saints and I also have TONS of stuff about Divine Mercy (my favorite devotion of all!).

Mine too, apart from the rosary

Oh, and I have a ton of religious stuff in my room:

A picture of the Divine Mercy image that I bought from my parish gift shop for $10 (hanging next to my door)
A holy water font underneath it with the Sacred Heart of Jesus
A beautiful cross that my aunt gave me for Christmas that has all the titles of Jesus etched on it
A GORGEOUS crucifix that opens up and contains a little Last Rites kit (anointing oil bottle, cotton batting, and a prayer sheet; I found it at an antique store)

I also have a prayer station under the beautiful crucifix that has:

A statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
A two-sided framed icon that opens to reveal an image of Christ, the Divine Teacher and Theotokos (my mom bought it from a Greek Orthodox gift shop)
A candle holder with the Chi-Ro on it and a little tealight candle
A few crosses I made from the blessed palm fronds this past Lent
A blessed silk rose from the feast day of St. Therese in 2009
A brown scapular (I still have not gotten properly enrolled yet plus the thing itches me like crazy; I think I'm allergic to the material)
Two prayer cards with instructions on how to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet that I got from the Poor Clares in Langhorne, PA
A prayer card of the Sacred Heart with the Anima Christi prayer on the back
A prayer card of St. Joseph
A Mass Remembrance holy card that I found at Church once with a beautiful picture of Our Lady of Sorrows
A prayer card to the Sacred Heart with the Learning Christ prayer on the back

On my dresser, I have:

A resin statue/plaque of an angel standing by a tablet that has 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
2 Seraphin angel statues

On my bookcase:

A statue of St. Therese
A statue of Our Lady of Graces (her hand broke off when she fell off the prayer station :( )