An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tatoos/piercings.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315484202' post='2302093']
I believe you and others are missing my point. The answers to these questions one makes is not in of themselves going to be the deciding factor if the act one is contemplating is good/moral. However, collectively I believe they can aid in one’s discernment of what motivates one to do such an act. Depending on the act, each question will aid one differently, and sometimes maybe not at all.
[/quote]
Oh. Well that makes more sense. :)

I believe you and others are missing my point. The answers to these questions one makes is not in of themselves going to be the deciding factor if the act one is contemplating is good/moral. However, collectively I believe they can aid in one’s discernment of what motivates one to do such an act. Depending on the act, each question will aid one differently, and sometimes maybe not at all.
[/quote]
:like:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1315358058' post='2301330']
My own ears have double-pierced lobes. :)[/quote]
I like your Ezekiel. lol Mine are triple pierced (all in the lobe) and each one of my daughters has their ears pierced.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1315460148' post='2302046']
let's face it, when we're past a certain age, [i]everything[/i] doesn't look that great. ;) :hehe:
[/quote]

True dat.
[/quote]

That makes more sense. When I read one of them [the one about "do the majority of Catholics do this" (or something to that effect)] my mind immediately went to other things that we all know are immoral, like contraception, and clearly those are wrong but basing my decision on "what's everyone else doing" isn't necessarily going to lead me to a moral decision. I'd probably strike that one completely off the list if I was going to start using it to gauge the morality of my actions. :|

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1315500701' post='2302203']
That makes more sense. When I read one of them [the one about "do the majority of Catholics do this" (or something to that effect)] my mind immediately went to other things that we all know are immoral, like contraception, and clearly those are wrong but basing my decision on "what's everyone else doing" isn't necessarily going to lead me to a moral decision. I'd probably strike that one completely off the list if I was going to start using it to gauge the morality of my actions. :|
[/quote]
You see. Look how the question, the one you want to strike off the list[I am not disagreeing], had you thinking. Not to be a checklist that if you answer more yes than no then the action is good/moral, but rather to get you thinking.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315501686' post='2302213']
You see. Look how the question, the one you want to strike off the list[I am not disagreeing], had you thinking. Not to be a checklist that if you answer more yes than no then the action is good/moral, but rather to get you thinking.
[/quote]

Well, I generally think about what the Church teaches on the particular matter, and if there isn't a clear teaching I follow my conscience. But it's the same general principle. :like:

I'm not against all piercings (why would you want to pierce genitalia), but I remember hearing about how one of my relatives had a lip ring and her baby son ripped it out. Ouch!

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1315528030' post='2302343']
On a side note, when I first saw this topic today, I thought it said "Tac[size=4]o[/size]s/pierogis"
[/quote]

Ummm... did you ever get your supper or are you still hungry?

I don't think I'll get any tattoos before I marry. I kinda think that if I'm going to have it for life, my future spouse gets a vote. I mean, I'm not even dating anyone, so it's not like someone couldn't 'deal' with a pre-existing one, it's just...why rush?

Some things I'd like....

A Jerusalem cross for the Franciscans:
[img]http://www.religioustattoos.net/Images/My_Tattoos/myjerusalemcrosstattoo.jpg[/img]

The star of Feanor from the gate of Moria in The Lord of the Rings. It's a simple 8-pointed star. And Tengwar! It's a beautiful script (which I know how to read), so I'd be very tempted to use that if I ever got a tattoo with words.
[img]http://www.ambar-eldaron.com/gwaith/photos_pages/SB_5.jpg[/img]
For examples of religious tattoos, look [url="http://www.religioustattoos.net/Other_Tattoos/index.php"]here[/url]

Edited by MithLuin

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

I dont think it's bad at all. I even know some priests and seminarians that have tattoos. I have also seen a priest with an ear piercing. I honestly dont think it makes a difference if a Catholic has one or not unless it conveys a bad message. All i have to say is choose your tattoos and piercings wisely. I definetely want to get one later on, but i'm pretty sure my mama would flip out.

Archaeology cat

wait - is it a Klingon bird of prey or a Romulan warbird? [quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1315601382' post='2302665']
i have a tattoo of a klingon warbird on my chest

cloaked of course
[/quote]

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1315335688' post='2301172']
even ear piercings for girls?

do you have sources that back up your claim?
[/quote]

there is an old testament verse that states us to not get tattoos like the pagans, i have 2 tatts from before i read this passage, unsure on the churches standing as the graveness of tattoos and piercing, iz possibly in the chatechism. to be totally honest i am seeking an answer for this in prayer as to whether it is like when saint paul states it is holyer for men to have hair above there shoulders and women to have it below there shoulders.But in that doesn't state that it is un holy the otherway around.
god bless you all

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye