An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tatoos/piercings.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Well, sure. It's a bit embarrassing to think of anyone watching me while I'm (for instance) changing my clothes or using the bathroom. But I think it's worth considering whether or not we'd be embarrased if Jesus and Mary were to 'find out' about something we had done. Shame can be a powerful clue that protects us from being taken advantage of or going down the wrong path. And, realistically, we can't keep secrets from Jesus! He already knows, so....

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1315430111' post='2301769']Well, sure. It's a bit embarrassing to think of anyone watching me while I'm (for instance) changing my clothes or using the bathroom. [b]But I think it's worth considering whether or not we'd be embarrassed if Jesus and Mary were to 'find out' about something we had done.[/b] Shame can be a powerful clue that protects us from being taken advantage of or going down the wrong path. And, realistically, we can't keep secrets from Jesus! He already knows, so....[/quote]
but, He already knows everything we've done. :unsure:

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']Would a Saint do it?[/quote] turn this around, if you found out a saint had a tattoo (and wasn't ashamed of it), would your opinion of this saint be lessened? why?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']Would I be embarrassed if Our Lord or His Blessed Mother was to see this?[/quote] no.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']Am I really doing all that I do in Christ Jesus?[/quote]this question doesn't even make sense to me.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']Would what I am doing be accepted in every century of Christendom PRIOR to this one?[/quote] probably not. of course, as a woman, there are a lot of things I do that would not be accepted in every century of Christendom prior to this one: like drink, wear pantaloons, vote, etc.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']Given a choice, would this be deemed a Virtue or a Vice?[/quote]it depends.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']Would I allow my family, friends or children to do the same?[/quote]yes.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']Would the majority of Catholics do this, and if not, WHY not?[/quote]does it matter?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']Would I be a good representative of my Catholic Religion by doing this?[/quote]would i be a good representative of my Catholic religion by going to a bar and having a drink?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']Drawing a line between those who would condone this act and those who wouldn't, which side of the line would I be on and who else would be there?[/quote]i like sixpence's answer.

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1315430869' post='2301775']
Yes, and if you keep reading, I said as much ;)
[/quote]
i know that. i can read. :| most of the time. i think better stated would be "would we be ashamed to tell Jesus and Mary something we've done?" There is a difference between Jesus knowing, and us confessing it.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1315430999' post='2301776']
turn this around, if you found out a saint had a tattoo (and wasn't ashamed of it), would your opinion of this saint be lessened? why?

no.

this question doesn't even make sense to me.

probably not. of course, as a woman, there are a lot of things I do that would not be accepted in every century of Christendom prior to this one: like drink, wear pantaloons, vote, etc.

it depends.

yes.

does it matter?

would i be a good representative of my Catholic religion by going to a bar and having a drink?

i like sixpence's answer.
[/quote]
Interesting that you took a defensive mode. I wasn't being personal,

ParadiseFound

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1315425233' post='2301718']
Most places nowadays won't bar you from getting a job if you have lots of tattoos and such, if you live in the right area of the country
[/quote]
It is not the same in the Netherlands :P

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315431661' post='2301785']
Interesting that you took a defensive mode. I wasn't being personal,
[/quote]
uh, i wasn't being defensive. :unsure:

LaPetiteSoeur

Um, I have my ears pierced. Only one hole in each (although one ear looks like it has two, because it was pierced twice--the first one tore and o my goodness it was painful).

For Mass, I have Celtic Cross earrings. For everyday, I have an eiffel tower pair, one that has an interlace pattern, kitty santa ones (christmas time, of course), fleur de lys earrings...There's no issue, I think.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']
Would what I am doing be accepted in every century of Christendom PRIOR to this one?[/quote]
Parts of Catholic theology weren't even accepted in every century of Christendom prior to this one. How can anyone expect an issue of fashion to hold up to that level of scrutiny if our theology doesn't?

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']
Would the majority of Catholics do this, and if not, WHY not?
Would I be a good representative of my Catholic Religion by doing this?
Drawing a line between those who would condone this act and those who wouldn't, which side of the line would I be on and who else would be there?
[/quote]
A Catholic in southern Arizona and northern Connecticut are going to have very different definitions of what it means to be Catholic. Catholicism is no longer a unified subculture, at least in American society.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1315425233' post='2301718']

The problem with that line of reasoning is that because there are so many people with lots of tattoos, piercings and gauges/stretchers (the BIG holes in ears), by the time they're sixty it won't look weird because so many people will have them. Most places nowadays won't bar you from getting a job if you have lots of tattoos and such, if you live in the right area of the country
[/quote]

I don't think that the poster meant being barred from getting a job because of the tattoo but just looking from a physical perspective let's just say that a tattoo wouldn't look pretty with the wrinkly.

Note that I am not saying that it would be immoral to get a tattoo, just that it might look cool now but in the future it could look terrible.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1315460148' post='2302046']
let's face it, when we're past a certain age, [i]everything[/i] doesn't look that great. ;) :hehe:
[/quote]

I hope the one on the back of my thigh (not religious) will make my carers smile in years t come, and remind them that even the oldest person was young once.

Edited by faithcecelia

I believe you and others are missing my point. The answers to these questions one makes is not in of themselves going to be the deciding factor if the act one is contemplating is good/moral. However, collectively I believe they can aid in one’s discernment of what motivates one to do such an act. Depending on the act, each question will aid one differently, and sometimes maybe not at all.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1315454245' post='2302027']
Parts of Catholic theology weren't even accepted in every century of Christendom prior to this one. How can anyone expect an issue of fashion to hold up to that level of scrutiny if our theology doesn't?
[/quote]
True, but I wasn’t trying to apply specifically to fashion. Notice I stated ask some of the questions. I am sure there will be such acts that a questions may not apply.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1315454245' post='2302027']
A Catholic in southern Arizona and northern Connecticut are going to have very different definitions of what it means to be Catholic. Catholicism is no longer a unified subculture, at least in American society.
[/quote]
Yet they have many commonalities, no.