An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tatoos/piercings.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Hi, ya I tend to think of tatoos and piercings as the mortal sin of mutilation. I just was wondering about what you guys thought.

I have 3 tattoos and 17 piercings, most now closed up. 2 of the tats are religious and are for me an outward expression and reminder of the faith I profess.

[quote name='ContemporaryCaflicCrusader' timestamp='1315333538' post='2301155']
Hi, ya I tend to think of tatoos and piercings as the mortal sin of mutilation. I just was wondering about what you guys thought.
[/quote]
even ear piercings for girls?

[quote name='ContemporaryCaflicCrusader' timestamp='1315333538' post='2301155']
[/quote]
do you have sources that back up your claim?

It is not looked upon by the Church as a mortal sin or even a venial sin for that matter unless the process of tattooing endangers your health or you spend money on it that could be used to meet financial obligations. I imagine that the reason you thought it was a mortal sin was because of a quote from Leviticus:

"Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord." - Leviticus 19:28

The problem is that this is considered Mosaic law which is no longer in existence and has been superseded by Christian law. If you would like to read more, read what an apologist, Jimmy Akin, wrote on the subject.

[url="http://www.jimmyakin.org/2004/03/tattoos.html"]Jimmy Akin on the subject of tattoos[/url]

While I would never get a tattoo (because I just don't like the look of them), it is not something to be scrupulous about. :)

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1315335564' post='2301169']
I have 3 tattoos and 17 piercings, most now closed up. 2 of the tats are religious and are for me an outward expression and reminder of the faith I profess.
[/quote]

I have 4 tattoos, two of which are religious. My reasoning is the exact same reason. I tell people that all of them are external reminders of my inner values.

i have 6 ear piercings.... I do not think they are sinful... I don't think tattoos are either.. although i don't have any...

I think they used to be looked down upon as a sign of certain types of lifestyles... but in many places they are so commonplace that this is no longer the case.

If it were a mortal sin why would it be? Would all body alterations be sinful? Hair coloring/ cutting? lobe piercings? Where would the line be drawn?

Basilisa Marie

My own ears have double-pierced lobes. :)

I see your Leviticus and raise you Ezekiel:
[quote]
"I adorned you with jewelry, putting bracelets on your arms, a necklace about your neck, a ring in your nose, earrings in your ears, and a beautiful crown on your head." (16:9-12)[/quote]

Even in the Old Testament it works. And the Leviticus verse is in reference to pagan and/or occult ceremonies. Mutilation of the body as an act of reverence or offering to a pagan god.

Either way there's no way it'd be a mortal sin. Cutting your wrists to get attention is far more serious than piercing your ears to look pretty.

Edited by Basilisa Marie

I do think people should be less casual in getting tattoos and body piercings...but I do not consider it a question of morality.

Too bad. I'd win that game hands down - no tats, no piercings (not even ears), never dyed my hair, and don't wear makeup. This was the first summer I painted my toenails, even.

Strangely enough, these choices don't make me a better person.

[url="http://www.cuf.org/faithfacts/details_view.asp?ffid=233"]http://www.cuf.org/f...ew.asp?ffid=233[/url]

One can really solve a lot of confusion on how they act, if they ask themselves at least some of the below questions prior to doing that act.

Would a Saint do it?
Would I be embarrassed if Our Lord or His Blessed Mother was to see this?
Am I really doing all that I do in Christ Jesus?
Would what I am doing be accepted in every century of Christendom PRIOR to this one?
Given a choice, would this be deemed a Virtue or a Vice?
Would I allow my family, friends or children to do the same?
Would the majority of Catholics do this, and if not, WHY not?
Would I be a good representative of my Catholic Religion by doing this?
Drawing a line between those who would condone this act and those who wouldn't, which side of the line would I be on and who else would be there?

Edited by Papist

ParadiseFound

It's a person's choice whether they have that done to their body, although I do think some people take it too far. I saw a man (must've been in his early twenties) in a train station recently who had a huge tattoo covering his whole neck. I mean, how will that look when he's in his sixties? It's crazy. He'll have to stick to polo neck jumpers once he realises how stupid he was.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='ParadiseFound' timestamp='1315421227' post='2301693']
It's a person's choice whether they have that done to their body, although I do think some people take it too far. I saw a man (must've been in his early twenties) in a train station recently who had a huge tattoo covering his whole neck. I mean, how will that look when he's in his sixties? It's crazy. He'll have to stick to polo neck jumpers once he realises how stupid he was.
[/quote]

The problem with that line of reasoning is that because there are so many people with lots of tattoos, piercings and gauges/stretchers (the BIG holes in ears), by the time they're sixty it won't look weird because so many people will have them. Most places nowadays won't bar you from getting a job if you have lots of tattoos and such, if you live in the right area of the country

How I would answer these for tattoos/piercings...

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1315398811' post='2301536']
[url="http://www.cuf.org/faithfacts/details_view.asp?ffid=233"]http://www.cuf.org/f...ew.asp?ffid=233[/url]

Would a Saint do it? I think they would not because they would not want to spend the money decorating themselves
Would I be embarrassed if Our Lord or His Blessed Mother was to see this? no
Am I really doing all that I do in Christ Jesus? probably
Would what I am doing be accepted in every century of Christendom PRIOR to this one? probably not
Given a choice, would this be deemed a Virtue or a Vice? vice... but also in this category would be professional haircuts, nice clothes etc
Would I allow my family, friends or children to do the same? yes
Would the majority of Catholics do this, and if not, WHY not? unsure.. why not: cultural
Would I be a good representative of my Catholic Religion by doing this? seems as irrelavant as what color shirt i wear
Drawing a line between those who would condone this act and those who wouldn't, which side of the line would I be on and who else would be there? on the other side: fundies, older people :hehe2:
[/quote]

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1315425593' post='2301720']
How I would answer these for tattoos/piercings...

[quote]Would a Saint do it? I think they would not because they would not want to spend the money decorating themselves
Would I be embarrassed if Our Lord or His Blessed Mother was to see this? no
Am I really doing all that I do in Christ Jesus? probably
Would what I am doing be accepted in every century of Christendom PRIOR to this one? probably not
Given a choice, would this be deemed a Virtue or a Vice? vice... but also in this category would be professional haircuts, nice clothes etc
Would I allow my family, friends or children to do the same? yes
Would the majority of Catholics do this, and if not, WHY not? unsure.. why not: cultural
Would I be a good representative of my Catholic Religion by doing this? seems as irrelavant as what color shirt i wear
Drawing a line between those who would condone this act and those who wouldn't, which side of the line would I be on and who else would be there? on the other side: fundies, older people :hehe2:[/quote]
[/quote]

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/229.gif[/img]