An Old School Catholic Message Board

University Or Religious Life?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1315165674' post='2300127']
I would rather be in Religious Life than in my University.
[/quote]

Give college a chance, yo. It has the potential to be the best four years of your life.

ameliabedelia

[/quote]

join the club..

[/quote]

Yep, I'm praying for ya, hun. It can't be easy, wanting something so badly and having to wait for it. All in God's time. ;)

[quote name='ameliabedelia' timestamp='1315166274' post='2300135']

join the club..
[/quote]

Are you discerning with a specific order right now? Do they require you to have a degree? If you aren't sure, it might be a wise idea to get in touch with the vocation director of whatever religious order you are most interested in and see what they say. Different orders have different requirements. I think all of the ones I have been interested in do not require a degree before you join because they send you to school. One good example is the order I mentioned -- the Religious Sisters of Mercy. Part of their charism chosen by Mother Catherine McAuley was to put great emphasis on professional training of her Sisters. Though the RSMs were not "technically" formed by Mother Catherine, they still keep her charism. I thought this was very interesting. :)

FutureSister2009

[quote name='ameliabedelia' timestamp='1315166274' post='2300135']

join the club..
[/quote]

Oooh there's a club? Well that cheers me up a bit

Hmmm...I do think that moving out would be an important step, however, it might be wise to take sister's advice and discern thoroughly if you have a calling to religious life before taking out student loans. So...I vote for 1. get a job and 2. discern religious life until you have a "yes" or a "no" and 3. go from there.

Actually, though, have you asked the Lord what He wants you to do in this concrete circumstance?

[quote name='jennyanne' timestamp='1315173331' post='2300219']
Hmmm...I do think that moving out would be an important step, however, it might be wise to take sister's advice and discern thoroughly if you have a calling to religious life before taking out student loans. So...I vote for 1. get a job and 2. discern religious life until you have a "yes" or a "no" and 3. go from there.

Actually, though, have you asked the Lord what He wants you to do in this concrete circumstance?
[/quote]

Yes, I have. Everytime I go to Adoration, I get the sense like He doesn't want me to wait. No matter how many times I try to put it out of my head, it ALWAYS comes back. It can be rather annoying, but it's definitely there.

As far as the job goes, I'm scanning the job boards, especially indeed.com. I found one job for a grocery store to be a lead cashier which I am VERY experienced in since I was a cashier for over 6 years. I applied for it. :)

I'm surprised there aren't any spiritual directors in your diocese. I live in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and they have posted a listing of spiritual directors on their website. By no means is this a complete list of s.d.'s in the area, and there's more in other dioceses. IIs there a friary or monastery anywhere close? Oftentimes they provide spiritual direction on a sliding scale or at no cost at all. And, there are many resources on line to help you find a s.d. in your area. One site right off the top of my head is Spiritual Directors International, but there are other orgs. that deal speciically with Catholic spiritual direction.

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1315173616' post='2300223']
I'm surprised there aren't any spiritual directors in your diocese. I live in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and they have posted a listing of spiritual directors on their website. By no means is this a complete list of s.d.'s in the area, and there's more in other dioceses. IIs there a friary or monastery anywhere close? Oftentimes they provide spiritual direction on a sliding scale or at no cost at all. And, there are many resources on line to help you find a s.d. in your area. One site right off the top of my head is Spiritual Directors International, but there are other orgs. that deal speciically with Catholic spiritual direction.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, there are no monasteries or friaries in this area. I've checked. The closest one is in the central part of the state while I'm in the northern part so it's quite a long drive. I think I checked SDI awhile back. I wonder if they've added anybody? I'll have to look.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315173919' post='2300226']

Unfortunately, there are no monasteries or friaries in this area. I've checked. The closest one is in the central part of the state while I'm in the northern part so it's quite a long drive. I think I checked SDI awhile back. I wonder if they've added anybody? I'll have to look.
[/quote]

Oh, I take that back. There is a convent of nuns in this area that I tried to contact last year, but when I told my pastor about them, he told me to stay away since they had a scandal not too long ago. He wouldn't say this if there wasn't some great concern because his brother is the Vocation Director for our diocese.

All of thie talk of discernment and Chairsm is new to me. When I entered, that is just what we did enter on a certain day as a group called Brothers, There were eleven of us. We attended university and had classes with the postulant or novice mistress. We learned how to meditate - our first object was a paperclip, our 2nd second a rock which I summarily dropped during Vespers in the Chapel and the whole Novitiate was in fits of giggles. It was very simple no talks of debt. We brought nothing with us but basics. They encouraged entering after highschool so that everyone was trained similarly. Mother Long of DSMME has expressed that wish as well - come when you fresh and alive in your vocation.

I personally think that for someone who is 28 you have nothing to lose by entering and everything to gain. For some in teens and 20ish gather somelife experience. Listen to the others who have had experience and learn from their challenges.

We only live onceand remember there is no dress rehearsal! I say jump off the pot or stay at home!

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1315175698' post='2300236']
All of thie talk of discernment and Chairsm is new to me. When I entered, that is just what we did enter on a certain day as a group called Brothers, There were eleven of us. We attended university and had classes with the postulant or novice mistress. We learned how to meditate - our first object was a paperclip, our 2nd second a rock which I summarily dropped during Vespers in the Chapel and the whole Novitiate was in fits of giggles. It was very simple no talks of debt. We brought nothing with us but basics. They encouraged entering after highschool so that everyone was trained similarly. Mother Long of DSMME has expressed that wish as well - come when you fresh and alive in your vocation.

I personally think that for someone who is 28 you have nothing to lose by entering and everything to gain. For some in teens and 20ish gather somelife experience. Listen to the others who have had experience and learn from their challenges.

We only live onceand remember there is no dress rehearsal! I say jump off the pot or stay at home!
[/quote]

Thank you for your advice. I have much to pray about and I still must get in touch with the Sister who is vocation director for the RSMs. I have already contacted her, but I'm waiting for her reply. I realize it may be a while because their postulancy officially begins this Thursday (9/8). Since I still need to visit them in person, I am saving up money in order to get a plane ticket and finishing my 2-year degree since I am only one class away from graduation in December this year. I am no longer nervous about the idea of becoming a religious. If God wills it, I will enter when He calls. Please pray for me! God bless.

I may be wrong, but don't many orders educate their sisters? I know that many Benedictines are sent to college to complete their studies. I believe the Dominicans also do this. Especially if someone has an associates' degree, that person may be sent back to school to complete their bachelor's degree.

edited because it posted very strangely :hehe2:

blessings, linnie

Edited by linnie

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1315180908' post='2300258']
I may be wrong, but don't many orders educate their sisters? I know that many Benedictines are sent to college to complete their studies. I believe the Dominicans also do this. Especially if someone has an associates' degree, that person may be sent back to school to complete their bachelor's degree.

edited because it posted very strangely :hehe2:

blessings, linnie
[/quote]

Yes, the Religious Sisters of Mercy have it written in their constitutions to send their Sisters to school. Education is very important to them because of their apostolate in medical and healthcare support fields. Some of the Sisters are teachers and it is necessary to train the Sister in Catholic education.

As for the DSMME and Nashville Dominicans, both educate their Sisters before sending them to Catholic schools to teach. Some of the DSMME attend University of Michigan. The Nashville Dominicans attend AND run the Aquinas College in Nashville. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae