An Old School Catholic Message Board

St. Rose Of Lima Practiced Penances. What Do You Do?

Kevin J Banet

Kevin J Banet

As a young girl St. Rose of Lima began to fast [b]three times a week[/b] and performed severe penances in secret. Today, priests generally discourage the faithful from practicing severe penances, especially without the counsel of a spiritual director.

[url="http://sistersop.com/blog/2011/08/18/misunderstood-by-her-family-st-rose-of-lima-became-a-dominican-tertiary/"][img]http://sistersop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Sta_Rosa_de_Lima_small.jpg[/img][/url]

[size=3][b]Click on image for story of St. Rose of Lima[/b][/size]

But what kind of penances do you practice? There is so much good that can be done - offering a penance for another person, or for a special favor. Find it difficult to give up a piece of candy?

For the story of St. Rose, go to the website of the [url="http://sistersop.com/blog/2011/08/18/misunderstood-by-her-family-st-rose-of-lima-became-a-dominican-tertiary/"]Dominican Sisters of the Immaculate Conception[/url].

InPersonaChriste

My penances are private, but the easiest ones are abstaining from meat or praying an extra rosary.

Hardest penance lately- Abstaining from my computer, abstaining from media in general.

Edited by InPersonaChriste

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1314826962' post='2298288']My penances are private[/quote]
thank you. i think every time i tell someone what my penances (or offering ups) are, all of a sudden, i don't want to do them anymore, or i stop doing them. i've learned my lesson.

dominicansoul

flogging with a very soft flog....

God gives me enuff penances every single day, i don't think He wants me to add anymore...

...nothing can top going through life now without my mom.... for me, that is penance enuff until the day i die....

putting up with dominicansoul is penance enough for me

I follow the general corporal penances of the Church fasting etc. I dont do anything extra because I have no permission from a spiritual director and even if I did I wouldnt be posting about it in public!

AccountDeleted

I think as most posters have stated here, penances are a private thing between each individual and God (and one's spiritual director or Confessor). To announce one's penances in a public forum is a little off, don't you think? Like the Pharisees who tried to impress others with their piety, I can't see any useful purpose in such disclosures. Remember that Jesus said those who seek praise for their deeds already have their reward in this life, and won't get one from their heavenly Father.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1314827261' post='2298295']
thank you. i think every time i tell someone what my penances (or offering ups) are, all of a sudden, i don't want to do them anymore, or i stop doing them. i've learned my lesson.
[/quote]

Thanks for backing me up :D

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1314839536' post='2298392']
I think as most posters have stated here, penances are a private thing between each individual and God (and one's spiritual director or Confessor). To announce one's penances in a public forum is a little off, don't you think? Like the Pharisees who tried to impress others with their piety, I can't see any useful purpose in such disclosures. Remember that Jesus said those who seek praise for their deeds already have their reward in this life, and won't get one from their heavenly Father.
[/quote]
thanks for saying so much better what i was trying to say! :)

Im another who keeps my penances private - they are between me and God. One think I will say, though, is that I do not believe in corporal penances. Life causes us enough pain and I simply do not believe that God calls me to cause myself physical pain. This ended up being a breaking point for me with the 1990 Constitutions Carmels.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314917537' post='2298845']
Im another who keeps my penances private - they are between me and God. One think I will say, though, is that I do not believe in corporal penances. Life causes us enough pain and I simply do not believe that God calls me to cause myself physical pain. This ended up being a breaking point for me with the 1990 Constitutions Carmels.
[/quote]

I dont wish to get into any sort of debate, but I do find corporal penances personally attractive. But I do not have anything to back it up other than that I admire the saints for doing them. Josemaria Escriva, Rose of Lima, etc

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1314918206' post='2298849']

I dont wish to get into any sort of debate, but I do find corporal penances personally attractive. But I do not have anything to back it up other than that I admire the saints for doing them. Josemaria Escriva, Rose of Lima, etc
[/quote]

In many ways its the fact they can be attractive that puts me off. But no, its not something to debate and I am sure that you are sensible enough to not do such things unless properly directed to by a priest or Spiritual Director who knows your soul.

Exterior penance and mortification seem to be among those elements of the Christian spiritual life that are little understood or tolerated today. Personally, I cannot see it as attractive (my mortal, weak flesh quite naturally shrinks away from it) but I do accept it as valid. It does give one pause, in any case, to consider that such penance and mortification was and has been a normal part of the spiritual practice of so many of the great saints, in ages past and down to our own day. It was and remains (perhaps embarrassing and inexplicable to many though this be) a part of our spiritual tradition. I would concur with faithcecilia that discretion in such matters requires obedience to one's spiritual father or director (in the case of commuity life, one's obedience is to the Rule of the Order, the customs of the house and to one's superior.)

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314921968' post='2298874']

In many ways its the fact they can be attractive that puts me off. But no, its not something to debate and I am sure that you are sensible enough to not do such things unless properly directed to by a priest or Spiritual Director who knows your soul.
[/quote]

You will glad to hear that I do not practice such things Cecilia, I just admire the saints for being able to offer so much to Jesus. And of course I admire those who do not use Corporal Penances, My partron saint is Margaret of Scotland.

Edited by InPersonaChriste

I wonder if it is not so much a question of what penance one is undertaking as why one is undertaking the penance one does undertake. That is, as with all things, motivation. Today here in Australia, for example, it is an Ember Day - hence acts of penance today (over and above the normal Friday) are in obedience to The Church.

Edited by BarbaraTherese