An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Odd About This Photo?

faithcecelia

faithcecelia

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1314812709' post='2298156']

Neat, I'd never heard of that photo of St. Therese! Which was is it? Also, this is evidence you haven't seen only the best movie created in the history of mankind .. [i]¡¡¡Teresa de Los Andes!!![/i] You're not entering Carmel again until you see it!! Sorry, I'm a little obsessed :hehe:

Super cool!!! Who was that?!!

:smile4:
[/quote]

I don't think I can get the film here, I have looked.

The sister was a French woman called Marie Ambaud who entered Notting Hill in November 1883, becoming Sr Magdelen. While yes, it is easy to laugh about the sickly sweet young Carmelites longing to die young, this was different. For one, she was 23 entering, so a proper adult, but also it was more than your average case of parents not being happy. It actually resulted in civil and Church lawyers being involved as well as the Pope, 5 Cardinals, 2 Papal nuncios and dozens of bishops! Even once she had collapsed with what the doctor (who btw wasn't Catholic) immediately diagnosed as a form of meningitis, her parents wouldn't give up. They sent their own doctor too, leading the the community doctor telling him that if he even attempted to say she was fit to be moved, he would see him struck off! The parents demanded to be allowed to nurse her (of course not allowed) and her father said he would have her back 'dead or alive', and even the then Pope being tempted to avoid fuss rather than support this vocation - when the sister asked the Pope to protect her vocation he replied 'Oh that would have been true for Pious IX, he would turn the world upside down for one soul, but not Leo III, I am a diplomat'!!!!

As she lay getting more and more sick, she was interviewed by bishops and archbishops after each other, to see if she genuinely had a vocation. Finally, finally, Sr Magdalen was permitted to make her profession, the ceremony in her sickroom with the statue of the Infant of Prague (who is still in the monsatery) as her image of Christ during the simple service. She died just weeks later, unreconciled with her parents but absolutely sure of her calling.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314815073' post='2298167']

I don't think I can get the film here, I have looked.

The sister was a French woman called Marie Ambaud who entered Notting Hill in November 1883, becoming Sr Magdelen. While yes, it is easy to laugh about the sickly sweet young Carmelites longing to die young, this was different. For one, she was 23 entering, so a proper adult, but also it was more than your average case of parents not being happy. It actually resulted in civil and Church lawyers being involved as well as the Pope, 5 Cardinals, 2 Papal nuncios and dozens of bishops! Even once she had collapsed with what the doctor (who btw wasn't Catholic) immediately diagnosed as a form of meningitis, her parents wouldn't give up. They sent their own doctor too, leading the the community doctor telling him that if he even attempted to say she was fit to be moved, he would see him struck off! The parents demanded to be allowed to nurse her (of course not allowed) and her father said he would have her back 'dead or alive', and even the then Pope being tempted to avoid fuss rather than support this vocation - when the sister asked the Pope to protect her vocation he replied 'Oh that would have been true for Pious IX, he would turn the world upside down for one soul, but not Leo III, I am a diplomat'!!!!

As she lay getting more and more sick, she was interviewed by bishops and archbishops after each other, to see if she genuinely had a vocation. Finally, finally, Sr Magdalen was permitted to make her profession, the ceremony in her sickroom with the statue of the Infant of Prague (who is still in the monsatery) as her image of Christ during the simple service. She died just weeks later, unreconciled with her parents but absolutely sure of her calling.
[/quote]

That's awful. I'm glad that the Holy Spirit gave her the grace to stay true to her vocation in spite of the harsh opposition from her parents. What a steadfast soul! I'm not sure I could stay as firm as she did under pressure.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314815073' post='2298167']The sister was a French woman called Marie Ambaud who entered Notting Hill in November 1883, becoming Sr Magdelen. While yes, it is easy to laugh about the sickly sweet young Carmelites longing to die young, this was different. For one, she was 23 entering, so a proper adult, but also it was more than your average case of parents not being happy. It actually resulted in civil and Church lawyers being involved as well as the Pope, 5 Cardinals, 2 Papal nuncios and dozens of bishops! Even once she had collapsed with what the doctor (who btw wasn't Catholic) immediately diagnosed as a form of meningitis, her parents wouldn't give up. They sent their own doctor too, leading the the community doctor telling him that if he even attempted to say she was fit to be moved, he would see him struck off! The parents demanded to be allowed to nurse her (of course not allowed) and her father said he would have her back 'dead or alive', and even the then Pope being tempted to avoid fuss rather than support this vocation - when the sister asked the Pope to protect her vocation he replied 'Oh that would have been true for Pious IX, he would turn the world upside down for one soul, but not Leo III, I am a diplomat'!!!!

[/quote]

What a fantastic story, faith! Thanks for posting! Is this in the book [i]In the Silence of Mary[/i]? I think I should order one from Notting Hill. I've heard it's good :like:

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314815073' post='2298167']
I don't think I can get the film here, I have looked.[/quote]

Okay, somehow we've got to get that movie for you .. :detective:

dominicansoul

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1314809871' post='2298114']

Carmelites, always wanting to die young, intense deaths. Drama queens :hehe2:

ETA: but admittedly, beautiful story.
[/quote]

i was gonna say...

...they are just [i]weird[/i]... :hehe2: :P :P :P

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1314848475' post='2298478']

i was gonna say...

[/quote]

you would fit right in then!!! :smile2:

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1314849221' post='2298483']

you would fit right in then!!! :smile2:
[/quote]

yep and so would you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1314848475' post='2298478']

i was gonna say...

[/quote]

it takes one to know one

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314809032' post='2298105']

You wouldn't have been the first! I have just read about one whose profession was delayed by 4yrs because her father had said the moment she stepped out of the enclosure he would take her home. She prayed that if told undder obedience to leave, that she would die before she went over the threshold, and when it was suggested she go to another convent to illustrate her freedom rather than spend the day with her family, she did indeed collapse the evening before she was due to go, with the illness that did finally take her life.
[/quote]

When I wrote that I was thinking "I bet this has happened before" and sure enough it almost did!

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1314849449' post='2298487']

yep and so would you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

The first time I visited one I didnt want to leave but Im not God I dont know what He wants.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1314850588' post='2298499']

The first time I visited one I didnt want to leave but Im not God I dont know what He wants.
[/quote]

same here about what I don't know what God wants me to do..but I sure do want to get hitched to a wonderful man and have loads of kids :P

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1314933411' post='2299023']

same here about what I don't know what God wants me to do..but I sure do want to get hitched to a wonderful man and have loads of kids :P
[/quote]

How about getting hitched to Jesus and having the whole world as your spiritual children :smile2:

Little Flower

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1314933411' post='2299023']

[/quote]
hows farmer boy doin (the one whose cow you stole)

lol

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1314998608' post='2299318']

How about getting hitched to Jesus and having the whole world as your spiritual children :smile2:
[/quote]

I am not going to be a nun

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1315016414' post='2299437']
hows farmer boy doin (the one whose cow you stole)

lol
[/quote]

I have no idea who you are talking about...

Farmer boy?? Um, he was just somebody who i created in my imagination :|

I never stole a cow!!!! It was not me!!!!!!!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315016980' post='2299444']

Not so fast... ;)
[/quote]

:|

I am not gonna be a nun

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1315017139' post='2299446']
:|

I am not gonna be a nun
[/quote]

Like I said, not so fast...

That's what I thought a few months ago. God is prodding me again. You never know until you make vows -- wedding or religious. ;)