An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time To Become A Nun Changed Since St. Therese

LuxChristi

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1348713242' post='2487163']
Religious vows, even solemn vows, are unlike marriage, in that they are NOT "undoable." In certain circumstances they can and have been dispensed, by the proper authorities. Certainly the extreme possibilities you mention would fall under that heading! I know a woman who left a cloistered order after solemn profession and it was due to damaging and unhealthy leadership. The vows are not a suicide pact as it were... even in marriage, sometimes the Church acknowledges it's best for husband and wife to live apart or even obtain a civil divorce, though they remain married in the eyes of God.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if I understand correctly what is said here -that is the "undoable" thing.

Certainly religious vows are similar to marriage vows, but are also very different.

We know that for us Christian Catholics, marriage is indissoluble. That is, there is no divorce or breaking of the marriage bond. This is based on Jesus himself in the Gospel. The Church allows for legal separation of the couple but they are still married and cannot marry another person. There is also the canonical process called "annulment". But this is NOT an annulment of the marriage that existed before: it is, in fact, a DECLARATION of NULLITY, meaning that the marriage was never valid or existing even though the externals took place.

This is different from the case of religious vows. ALL religious vows that are made under the authority of the Church, can also be suspended -ended- by the authority of the Church. This is the case of so many religious we all know who left their Communities and returned to secular life, they got dispensation of their vows.

This dispensation may be requested by the individual, or might be imposed upon him/her if there has been a violation of the obligations according to Canon Law.

This is how I understand the difference between marriage (a sacrament in itself which cannot be reversed if it really existed) and religious vows (promises made under the authority of the Church that can be terminated by the same authority). Maybe is the same that was stated before, if so, please accept my apology for repeating it.

Peace!