An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time To Become A Nun Changed Since St. Therese

LuxChristi

If you’re a woman discerning a call to the religious life, what do you think about it now taking 2-4 times as long to become a nun as it did in St. Therese’s time?

For instance, if my math is correct, Therese Martin (not yet St. Therese) entered Carmel on April 9, 1888, at the age of 15. On January 10, 1889, Therese entered the novitiate, and made her solemn vows as a religious on September 24, 1890, at the age of 17. Total time from entrance to full profession (her wedding day): 2 years and 5 months (and that was because they extended her postulancy since she was so young).

The current Code of Canon Law says that one begins religious life in the Novitiate (1 year), and then makes temporary vows for a min. of 3 years (which can be renewed) before making final vows. However, most female religious communities in the US require live-in candidacy up to 1 year, postulancy 1-2 years, novitiate 1-2 years, temp vows 3-6 years, meaning, it takes on average 6-11 years to become a nun, which is longer on average than it takes:[list]
[*]a Catholic woman to enter the vocation of wife (6 month - 1 year pre-Cana class, and may wait 30-45 days for a marriage license)
[*]a woman to enter the vocation of mother (9 months)
[*]a woman to enter a new vocation by founding a new religious community (1 year novitiate under the Bishop, 3 years of temp vows as stated in Canon Law)
[*]a man with a bachelor’s degree to enter the vocation of priest (average of 4 years more of school)
[*]a man to become a permanent deacon (depends per diocese but avg. 4-5 years)
[/list]
What are your thoughts on what seems to be a modern day change in time?

Edited by LuxChristi

FutureSister2009

See this is why I want to enter now at 20 so maybe by the time I make my final vows I'll be like 26 or 27. But I guess I'll be like 29-30-ish

TeresaBenedicta

Depends, really. I had this discussion with one of the sisters I'm living with. In my future community, the time before 1st vows is fairly short. On average, one is a postulant for 1-3 months, followed by a 1 year novitiate, and then first vows. Sometimes postulancy is even shorter than a month (of course, sometimes it's longer as well). In comparison to the usual model of 1 year postulancy, 2 year novitiate... and sometimes those who have a candidacy/live-in program... it's super short.

BUT, for this community, formation doesn't end after 1st vows. There's two-three more years of formation following 1st vows. In many of the communities that take longer before 1st vows, the sister is sent on mission right after 1st vows. Their formation mostly happens before vows. There are good reasons, I think, to do much formation before vows... and good reasons to do formation after vows as well.

AccountDeleted

I'm not so sure that this is just an issue of time but perhaps also one of stages. In the 'old days', the postulancy was considered the time of real discernment, and the novitiate began the life of a nun in community. It seems that today, there is so much fear of the woman leaving that all of these additional stages have been added, such as live-in visits which might also be called by a specific term such as applicant or candidacy stage. Then there is the postulancy, which seems to have been extended, and the novitiate, which was once completed in a year is now usually two years - one canonical year and then usually an additional year as well before making first profession (the taking of simple or temporary vows for three years). After the three years, then there is the solemn profession, or final vows.

While I understand the need for caution, I wonder sometime if communities are looking for a certainty that just isn't possible when considering that we are human beings, subject to human frailties.

Perhaps because of my own situations, I am more concerned about the ease with which a community can send a woman away without any warning or preparation (or aftercare) rather than about the length of time it takes to become professed. But perhaps I need to start another thread about that topic.

Personally, I think the length of time between entering and first profession should be two years at the most - (6 months ideally for the postulancy but up to one year if needed, and then one year novitiate). My reasoning behind this is that during postulancy one is not a member of the community so this time is for discernment but it is only when one receives the habit that she can truly begin to live the live completely. Then, after another year, this time as a novice, unless there is a very good reason not to, she should be allowed to make temporary vows for three years because this is when the true commitment begins. And then at the end of the three years, unless once again there is a very good reason not to, she should be allowed to take final vows and become a voting member of the community. this would be a total of four and a half to five years to 'graduate' which is not unreasonable for any occupation or undertaking. Anyway, that's my ideal timeline.

And I would do away completely with these totally irrelevant titles of applicant, candidate etc which only complicate and confuse the issue! I know that there are probably very 'logical' reasons for the extended timelines but it's my guess that they haven't changed the overall outcomes at all.

LaPetiteSoeur

The longer time, I think is better. It doesn't matter what age one becomes finally professed; some of the best priests I know and love were "late vocations." One entered after college AND a stint in the military (which I simply cannot picture) and another priest went to college--all four years! With marriage, one doesn't just find someone and say "Hey do you want to get married?" Many couples date for years and then get engaged and then marry. I think my parents dated for two years before engagement, then a year until marriage, then six years to have children!

Vows are FOR LIFE. It shouldn't be a decision that's made in only two years. That's why so much time is given--so we can make sure this is God's Will, this is the order He wants us in, etc.

Jesus waited until he was 33 (or was it 31?) to begin public ministry, so no age is really too old.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1314638144' post='2296936']
Can I just enter? Lol
[/quote]

I understand. three years and 11 months to go!!

TeresaBenedicta

I think that the grace of vows is also important factor to consider. While not an ontological change, there is a real grace that comes with the profession of vows that helps you to live out your religious state more perfectly. This is partly why I prefer first vows being earlier rather than later (like nunsense). After first vows, there is still quite a bit of time until final profession (usually around 5-6 years).

FutureSister2009

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1314638144' post='2296936']
Can I just enter? Lol
[/quote]

Can I come with you?

Nunsense - you make a valid point about the ease with which communities can dismiss an aspirant -- that's an underlying part of my question, because if God created women with what appears to be a basic desire for security and commitment --- is there a point where adding steps or years to the process can actually be harmful rather than helpful? Does the extension actually provide some fuel for the commitment problem on the side of the community or on the side of the woman?

TeresaBenedicta - I agree with you about the grace of God in making one's vows, which help one to continue in one's vocation, and thus a reason to help prepare one for vows within a reaonable (perhaps earlier) time if possible - excellent point!

faithcecelia

I actually think the longer timescale is good. Having been through the standard 6mth Carmelite postulancy, I now think that Notting Hill's year is far more sensible. Once in the habit, you [i]are[/i]treated differently, yet after 6mths there is still half the year to experience, with the ups and downs, the liturgical changes and the emotional highs and lows that are inevitible in that first year. I think to have had your first Christmas, first birthday, first Mother's Day, first Easter, etc before Clothing is a blessing.

I have fewer concerns about profession. To be honest, I personally am not worried about how long it takes - it will happen in God's time. I think in part at least its because I have lost my naiivity about it all being straightforward! Regardless of an individual's intentions, and how certain she might be of her calling and her determination to persevere, things still go wrong, and they still go wrong at all stages of religious life. My life is given to God, I have answered His call and renew my 'yes' continually. The actual timing is in His hands.

I do, however, agree that some communities do seem quite nonchalant when it comes to disposing of postulants/novices. I hope that my own experiences will have made me far more sensitive should I ever find myself in the postion of having to make those decisions myself.

Nunsense - your idea that from entrance to first vows being 2 years or less, is in line with the thought of our current Code of Canon Law (law of the Catholic Church), which gives minimums (1 year novitiate, 3 years temp vows) as the standard, with extra time for discernment [i]allowed as the exception, should it be needed --[/i] but this extra time was not intended to become the standard.

I don't have my Code in front of me, but I believe in II/646 it states the novitiate is 1 year minimum with the purpose[i] “[u]through which life in an institute is begun[/u]”, [/i]so[i] “the novices better understand their divine vocation…experience the manner of living of the institue, and form their mind and heart in its spirit…”[/i].

The novitiate is then followed by a 3 year minimum of temporary vows (CCC II / 655). The purpose of this engagement period is to help the woman continue the formation process to prepare you for your final vows in the religious life so you can be a fully-functioning and engaged member of the community (formation in Christ, is of course, a lifelong process).

Re: the comment "marriage doesn't just happen", in the case of arranged marriages, which happen in many places in the world, this actually is the case. The vocation of an arranged marriage involves some initial evaluation but recognizes the call to marriage and then makes the commitment.