An Old School Catholic Message Board

Latin Vulgate Vs Greek/ Hebrew

Maccabeus

For a solid thousand years or so the Catholic church has held firm in its hand the Latin Vulgate for Biblical translations.
Recently it seems like scholars a going to the Greek/ Hebrew manuscripts, What does the Catholic church think of this, is its first choice still the Latin Vulgate?
:pope2:

Basilisa Marie

If you're talking about real biblical scholarship, those in serious academia have to go to the (semi) original Greek and Hebrew texts. The Vulgate is a translation, thus not as free from errors as the Greek and Hebrew texts. The Vulgate will always have a special place in Catholicism, but by no means should it be the standard.

faithcecelia

Personally I want the most accurate, and that simply isn't the Vulgate. As I mentioned in your other thread, I never just use one translation, you don't get a full enough picture. If I am doing something really in depth I will try and look out a recent, scholarly translation of whatever book I am looking at, and then use a number of standard translations alongside. A few years back i spent some months studying just the early books of Genesis, and was facinated to discover that what almost all translations have as 'The angel of the Lord' did not, at the time those passages were written, mean that, it actually meant just 'The Lord' etc etc.