An Old School Catholic Message Board

Douay Rheimes Vs Rsvce

Maccabeus

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314472839' post='2295932']
Its the verse that speaks of Moses being so radient that he needed to veil his face, it apparantly more literally translates as 'his face shone forth beams of light' which was mistakenly translated as 'his face showed horns'.
[/quote]

Horrible!
checked and saw it with my own eyes.
So why hasn't bishop Richard Challoner corrected the mistake when he revised the Douay?

faithcecelia

[quote name='Maccabeus' timestamp='1314487047' post='2296020']

Horrible!
checked and saw it with my own eyes.
So why hasn't bishop Richard Challoner corrected the mistake when he revised the Douay?
[/quote]

My copy has a note here, not sure about all the editions though.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314487722' post='2296024']

My copy has a note here, not sure about all the editions though.
[/quote]

So what does the note say? :)

According to my research: [i][b]Horned[/b][/i] was an old English term for the [i][b]Shining[/b][/i]
so its all good! :)

I've read that the original Douay-rheims contained many footnotes and commentaries. It was rewritten in the 1800s (why I do not know) and many claim that the new edition is greatly inferior to the old edition. As I have not really investigated the matter I don't have an opinion but am going to make a point to get an original Douay Rheims bible (and no this is not an advertisement) I founf this website that offers the original Douay Rheims with plenty of information on it as well.

I think the horn verse in the old translation is what inspired the design of the miter.

[img]http://www.kayceecrafts.com/ekmps/shops/kayceecrafts/images/bishop-s-mitre-m-030-unmounted-clear-polymer-craft-stamp-1884-p.gif[/img]