An Old School Catholic Message Board

Douay Rheimes Vs Rsvce

Maccabeus

In the recent couple weeks I feel in love with the Douay Rheimes bible translation, before it I use to study the KJV than the RSVCE and one thing that troubles me is that in the the DR just like the KJV at the end of [b]Luke 1:28[/b] it says "Blessed art thou amongst women" and in the RSVCE it omits that ending. Shouldn't both the Douay R, & the RSVCE be the same since their Catholic?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Maccabeus' timestamp='1314462243' post='2295824']Shouldn't both the Douay R, & the RSVCE be the same since their Catholic?
[/quote]
Just because it has an imprimatur does not mean that it isn't a garbage translation (cf. GNT).

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1314462459' post='2295826']
Just because it has an imprimatur does not mean that it isn't a garbage translation (cf. GNT).
[/quote]
RSV-CE isn't 'garbage'.

faithcecelia

Quickly flicking to my Comparative Text Bible (4 in 1) both King James and Amplified do have the phrase, whereas NAS and NIV don't. There is a note to say that some early texts don't have it, so I guess that its been debatable from the beginning. It is things such as this that make me use at least 2 and often as many as 6 or more translations if I am doing actual study rather than just one, all translations are lacking in one way or another.

faithcecelia

Scanning a bit further on, I do wonder if this was a later addition to verse 28 to mirror Elizabeth's greeting in verse42.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1314463172' post='2295834']
RSV-CE isn't 'garbage'.
[/quote]
I didn't say it was. I just said that having an imprimatur doesn't automatically certify that it isn't garbage.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1314463514' post='2295839']
I didn't say it was. I just said that having an imprimatur doesn't automatically certify that it isn't garbage.
[/quote]
kay :)

Whew! That was a close call :o[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1314463514' post='2295839']
I didn't say it was. I just said that having an imprimatur doesn't automatically certify that it isn't garbage.[/quote]

Laudate_Dominum

There are thousands (hundreds of thousands according to Ehrman) of textual variants in the extant New Testament manuscripts and fragments. This one is perhaps easily explained as a copyist error--text duplicated from the identical phrase a few verses later.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314463329' post='2295838']
Scanning a bit further on, I do wonder if this was a later addition to verse 28 to mirror Elizabeth's greeting in verse42.
[/quote]

Interesting point of few,
Since it is written in Verse42, than Verse 28 isn't necessarily wrong.

faithcecelia

[quote name='Maccabeus' timestamp='1314469953' post='2295905']
[/quote]

I don't say it is wrong, merely speculate that as all (as far as I have available) translations have it in v42 and only half seem to have it in v28, it is possibly a mistake.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Maccabeus' timestamp='1314469953' post='2295905']
[/quote]
FWIW, biblical inerrancy, as I understand it, does not assert that copies and translations are free of error.

faithcecelia

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1314470546' post='2295909']
FWIW, biblical inerrancy, as I understand it, does not assert that copies and translations are free of error.
[/quote]

Indeed, its is commonly known that there have always been errors, such as the Vulgate stating that Moses had horns
[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ruthbale/michelangelo_moses1.jpg[/img]

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314470735' post='2295912']

Indeed, its is commonly known that there have always been errors, such as the Vulgate stating that Moses had horns
[/quote]
Haha. That's epic.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314470735' post='2295912']

[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ruthbale/michelangelo_moses1.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
[size=8][font=comic sans ms,cursive]HUH?[/font][/size]