An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contacting Orders (Advice Needed)

TheresaThoma

TheresaThoma

Just a quick question/update. I have yet to hear back from any of the orders that I contacted. It feels like forever since I e-mailed them (though now I look at the calendar its only been 4 days or so). I'm just kind of wondering how long I should wait before trying again (2 weeks?). I don't want to be annoying but at the same time I know e-mails ans such can get put off to the side and then forgotten about!

faithcecelia

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1314747908' post='2297703']
Just a quick question/update. I have yet to hear back from any of the orders that I contacted. It feels like forever since I e-mailed them (though now I look at the calendar its only been 4 days or so). I'm just kind of wondering how long I should wait before trying again (2 weeks?). I don't want to be annoying but at the same time I know e-mails ans such can get put off to the side and then forgotten about!
[/quote]

Personally, I have never followed up when I have not had a reply, just accepted that wasn't where I was meant to be. Oh I lie, I did once - but still decided it wasn't where I was meant to be very early on, well before the planned visit, which I cancelled.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314748390' post='2297708']

Personally, I have never followed up when I have not had a reply, just accepted that wasn't where I was meant to be. Oh I lie, I did once - but still decided it wasn't where I was meant to be very early on, well before the planned visit, which I cancelled.
[/quote]

This is real for me, too. Sometimes, I will contact an order and never hear back from them. But then, sometimes, I will hear back from orders the very next day like I did with the SsEWs. The RSMs aren't too good at getting back to me until a few months later when I've forgotten I've contacted them. I'm starting to think that I'm not called there. The SsEWs appeal to me very much and I'm the most interested in them than any other order I've looked at. :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314748390' post='2297708']

[/quote]

In general, I think this is a good point. Sometimes with e-mail, though, it's worth a follow-up after two-three weeks, if you are particularly interested. Sometimes things get lost, people get swamped, etc. It's easy for an e-mail to get lost in the hustle and bustle of everyday convent life.

Just as an FYI right now the Nashies received 16 new postulants on 8/15 plus a brand new class of Canonical Novices. The DSMME's receivied 17 new postulants on Sunday the 28th and have 36 novices - 18 new ones. This is their busy time. Also both orders had retreats in August for their Professed Sisters. The Nashies have not updated their website for about 3 weeks now and the DSMME's in the last 2 weeks.

Pray, Read, and Write!

OnlySunshine

Apparently, there is something wrong with the Terre Haute Carmelites' website server. Mother Mary Clare sent me the email response on Sunday and I just got it this morning. She told me to either call her or write her using a different email address. So, if anyone has been trying to get a hold of them and has not heard back, try to get in touch another way. :)

TheresaThoma

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1314805699' post='2298081']
Just as an FYI right now the Nashies received 16 new postulants on 8/15 plus a brand new class of Canonical Novices. The DSMME's receivied 17 new postulants on Sunday the 28th and have 36 novices - 18 new ones. This is their busy time. Also both orders had retreats in August for their Professed Sisters. The Nashies have not updated their website for about 3 weeks now and the DSMME's in the last 2 weeks.

Pray, Read, and Write!
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing this! I was guessing that something like this was going on but I wasn't sure. 33 new postulants between them, praise God!

MargaretTeresa

Ok. For y'all who are writing - either snail mail or email - on my blog (link below) there is a page with suggestions. Just saying, and trying to be of use.

[url="http://undergroundconfession.wordpress.com/snail-mail/"]http://undergroundconfession.wordpress.com/snail-mail/[/url]

Just because the page is called Snail Mail doesn't mean anything. This is what I did when I snail mailed the PCCs

edwardrochester789

I remember I played phone/email tag with Sister Mary Emily for about three months until we could finally talk! But I was able to go on the retreat last May, even if it did take a while to coordinate it! They are super busy, especially at this time of the year, so don't lose heart. And don't be afraid if you feel like you're being pushy - when I was emailing and calling a bunch of times, I comforted myself by saying they've probably seen pretty much everything, so a girl showing much interest in their order is probably old hat to them! haha

I got an packet from the Nashville Dominicans today!!! The letter was from Sr John Thomas the Vocation Assistant and there is all sorts of good stuff in it.
Also I think that I am going to call and see if I can visit the Religious Sisters of Mercy that live near me.

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1315106807' post='2299923']
I got an packet from the Nashville Dominicans today!!! The letter was from Sr John Thomas the Vocation Assistant and there is all sorts of good stuff in it.
Also I think that I am going to call and see if I can visit the Religious Sisters of Mercy that live near me.
[/quote]

Oooooo! I hate to say it, but I'm jealous. I wish the RSMs were near me. I have to go all the way to Michigan or Knoxville. :)

I do plan on going to the Mother house at some point but I figured getting to know the sisters here first would be a good step. It is so expensive to fly anywhere anymore!

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1314409328' post='2295621']

Unfortunately, I haven't heard back from St. Mary Emily, so I don't know if I'm signed up or not :(

But I'm hoping she'll email me tomorrow or early next week. I kept checking obsessively--and I pretty sure everyone thought I was crazy!
[/quote]

When I emailed her to sign up for the January retreat (about a month or so ago), I was the VERY first person to do so. I don't think you have anything to worry about. ;)