An Old School Catholic Message Board

Female Altar Servers And Vocations

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1321895912' post='2338997']
I always looked at it like alter servers were guys that were thinking of the priesthood. I don't have a problem with girl alter servers so to speak, but I have no intention of being one. I am perfectly content to stay were I am. I never felt like I belonged serving on the alter... to me it always seemed like it should be a place reserved for men.
[/quote]

I agree. :)

FutureSister2009

I was an Altar Server for 3 years. It didn't really affect my Vocation at the time. Now we're starting to get less and less female Altar Servers and I think my Pastor is happy about it.

• 2 weeks later...
MarysLittleFlower

I prefer there to be only altar boys, but I do think that most female altar servers have good intentions and want to serve God. So this is not at all about them personally. I've known devout Catholics who were female altar servers. That being said, I like the idea of giving preference to male altar servers, to encourage vocations to the priesthood, and also I guess it's just a personal preference. :) Not something I'd want to debate or argue about.

God bless!

Our pastor only allowed boys, and there was a chronic shortage. One morning at early mass, neither showed up. A very prominent parishioner was there with his daughter, and volunteered the two of them. No one ever said no to PP, and we have both ever since! I have never seen a woman take the collection, though!