An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Blessed Virgin Mary

AudreyGrace

[quote name='St Bosco' timestamp='1317238966' post='2311806']
Mary didnt die a virgin, by the way. Jesus is the reason for the season, not someone else. Mary is just a player in the scheme of things. Just like Moses or John the Baptist. The catholic church has people praying to her in order to keep them away from Christ. Just like all the saints the are told to pray to, they keep them away from the saving power og the Lord. You see, the catholic church is there to keep people from Christ. Never mind its history, its present day fruits should warn people away from this cult of personality and costume holymen. Thanks for your time
[/quote]
this oughta be fun! :) welcome!

so....why is your screenname of a saint?

[quote name='St Bosco' timestamp='1317238966' post='2311806']
Mary didnt die a virgin, by the way. Jesus is the reason for the season, not someone else. Mary is just a player in the scheme of things. Just like Moses or John the Baptist. The catholic church has people praying to her in order to keep them away from Christ. Just like all the saints the are told to pray to, they keep them away from the saving power og the Lord. You see, the catholic church is there to keep people from Christ. Never mind its history, its present day fruits should warn people away from this cult of personality and costume holymen. Thanks for your time
[/quote]

"Oh hai! I r a fundamendalist kristian and i am heer to tell u dat ur litergeez r of teh debil! U has neber herd dis befor!!!!!1111oneeleventy"

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1317241098' post='2311837']

"Oh hai! I r a fundamendalist kristian and i am heer to tell u dat ur litergeez r of teh debil! U has neber herd dis befor!!!!!1111oneeleventy"
[/quote]
:getaclue: <_<

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1313935355' post='2292556']
This. When I was Baptist, this was the predominant thought about Mary. It was razzle dazzle that she said yes to God, but other than that wasn't seen as all that important and was pretty much only mentioned at Christmas. Devotion to Mary is seen as taking away from devotion to Jesus instead of adding to devotion to Jesus. Even though I'm now Catholic, it wasn't until this year that I really started getting "to Jesus through Mary" without feeling a little weird about it. I've no problem with the rosary or other Marian devotions, but that one got to me a bit until more recently, I'm sure because of my Baptist upbringing.
[/quote]

This. Also raised Baptist. I'm still not entirely reconciled with my feelings on Mary. Do I believe what the Church teaches about her? Intellectually yes, or I'd not have converted. I waited until I darn agreed with everything. However knowing and feeling are often two separate things. I far prefer doing a Divine Mercy Chaplet to a Rosary with my beads, and I think that's partially my Baptist upbringing (and to be honest, partially time it takes). I pray a decade a day and have for two years now, and I hope that I can start feeling what I intellectually accept.

As an aside, my Baptist church I left did a sermon series on Mary last year. I was pretty excited and listened to their podcast of it each Sunday afternoon. They mentioned Mary less than ten times on a series based on her in theory.

[quote]
As an aside, my Baptist church I left did a sermon series on Mary last year. I was pretty excited and listened to their podcast of it each Sunday afternoon. They mentioned Mary less than ten times on a series based on her in theory.
[/quote]

That is sad. It's like they are doing everything they can to ignore the Mother of our Lord.

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1317247811' post='2311900']
That is sad. It's like they are doing everything they can to ignore the Mother of our Lord.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's how it seemed. Even when talking about her, they refused to say "Mary" after the initial time.

There are two different issues that are getting mushed into one:

1. Do I admire Mary ("think she's the bee's knees")? You betcha. In fact, as a scrupulous adolescent, I spent hours -- not making this up -- in agony because I knew I could never have said the "Yes" she said to God -- too embarrassed! Mary was holy and brave and loving and unique in history.

2. "not feel the need to have some type of devotion, friendship, or high respect for her." As a Protestant, the only Intercessor I ask is Jesus. That doesn't mean that I don't respect Mary. It is, rather, that I believe God will listen to me when I call, even if the answer is no! I do not believe God is more pleased, or more likely to respond, when I ask Mary to get His attention than he is when I ask for His attention directly.

I don't do special devotions to Mary, just as I do not do special devotions to John the Baptist or indeed to any Saint. I respect people who do, and who are blessed in their relationships with Mary and the other Saints. It's just not how I was raised nor in accordance with my own theology.

[quote name='mme_hardy' timestamp='1317430305' post='2313147']
There are two different issues that are getting mushed into one:

1. Do I admire Mary ("think she's the bee's knees")? You betcha. In fact, as a scrupulous adolescent, I spent hours -- not making this up -- in agony because I knew I could never have said the "Yes" she said to God -- too embarrassed! Mary was holy and brave and loving and unique in history.

2. "not feel the need to have some type of devotion, friendship, or high respect for her." As a Protestant, the only Intercessor I ask is Jesus. That doesn't mean that I don't respect Mary. It is, rather, that I believe God will listen to me when I call, even if the answer is no! I do not believe God is more pleased, or more likely to respond, when I ask Mary to get His attention than he is when I ask for His attention directly.

I don't do special devotions to Mary, just as I do not do special devotions to John the Baptist or indeed to any Saint. I respect people who do, and who are blessed in their relationships with Mary and the other Saints. It's just not how I was raised nor in accordance with my own theology.
[/quote]

Thank you for your respectful post :) I do have to say, though...you said Jesus is your only intercessor. We believe that all Christians, dead and living (for example, asking someone to pray for me, like a friend) can pray for us because we are in union with the Body of Christ. And since Christ has destroyed death, and the Body cannot be broken, we continue to ask our brothers and sisters, even those that have passed on, to continue to pray for us.

Blessings +

Selah

Edited by Selah

dairygirl4u2c

and Jesus said,'let he who is without sin, cast the first stone'. and then yelled 'mom!'... after his mother mary started throwin stones at everyone.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1317434553' post='2313180']
and Jesus said,'let he who is without sin, cast the first stone'. and then yelled 'mom!'... after his mother mary started throwin stones at everyone.
[/quote]

I do believe I hear locusts rattling.