An Old School Catholic Message Board

Financing Opportunity

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

I have a financing opportunity for those going into religious life, but who must pay their debt first.

I am in the process of completely redoing my 11 year old website, Catecheticsonline.com for relaunch. We have a lot of support behind the new project, and we already get a lot of traffic.

As a service to the Church I would like to put donation buttons on the side bar for up to 6 people who want to enter religious life. This is a "beta" thing so we will see if it works. I will basically collect money for you on my website and then send it directly to pay off your loans or debt. I will keep 3.5% of the amount donated because that is what it costs to accept donations + 1% up to and no more than $5 to help pay for website hosting. The rest goes to pay your debt and it costs you nothing to be listed.

Guidelines to being listed:

1) You must have discerned a vocation to religious life (not priesthood) and can be either a man or woman.
2) You must let me put your first name and order on the website next to your donation button.
3) You are optionally asked to submit a vocation story for the blog and pray for our work.
4) Phatmass members must help me verify that you are 'for real'. :)
5) You must have a debt that is not otherwise about to be paid of by another method keeping you from otherwise entering your order.
6) And of course you have to give me your actual information privately if I get donations so I know where to send it.

That's it.

Brother Adam

Just let me know in this thread. If I find out there are at least 6 people who want to be a part of this, I will PM you and get your details.

MargaretTeresa

I would to, once I get a solid answer. So I'll be contacting you again about this next summer (hopefully). In the meantime, I am praying for all of you.

missionseeker

Brother Adam, this is pretty cool. I'm not putting my name up for consideration, but maybe one day I will e able to donate.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' timestamp='1313886922' post='2292223']
I too would like to be one of the 6. Let me know what I need to do. God bless.
[/quote]

This is off topic, but how are you LG? We haven't heard from you in a while! You are in my thoughts and prayers. :)

Brother Adam

Phatmassers, can you vouch for the three people in this thread? This is also three less than we need to start the campaign. When we relaunch our website I will be sending an email to all 1,600 of my forum members plus hundreds of catechists. Promoting paying off the debts of the 6 people we will have on the site will be a big part of the relaunch.

[b] [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showuser=18"]Brother Adam[/url] ,is this ever a wonderful idea!!! how excellent...(i have an amazing benefactor), but i praise God for you and your works...[/b]

PAX

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1313942269' post='2292583']
Phatmassers, can you vouch for the three people in this thread? This is also three less than we need to start the campaign. When we relaunch our website I will be sending an email to all 1,600 of my forum members plus hundreds of catechists. Promoting paying off the debts of the 6 people we will have on the site will be a big part of the relaunch.
[/quote]

Hi, I'm not on here long but if you want I can provide references.

Brother Adam

Okay, as they say, let's 'get r done'.

Strictly, LG, and HB, let me know what you think:

Do you think you could each help me create a profile page for you for the website?

What I envision is a picture of each of you, OR if you prefer a level of privacy online, and that is very reasonable, a picture of your order. I would like you to write 3-5 paragraphs. 2-3 paragraphs with your abbreviated discernment story, 1 paragraph about the order you are going to enter, and any other information you want to include, including your current debt (you can round it off).

Then I am wondering if it would be possible to actually link directly to your lenders. I know with my school debt I can actually just give someone my account numbers and they can make payments. It's not like they can draw money from it or anything :P. That would eliminate the 3.5% that would go to a third party processor. And finally, yes, if members of PM aren't able to vouch for you because you are new, just privately send me a reference, a vocations director, pastor or family member would be perfectly fine. I want to give donors a sense of confidence.

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1313944554' post='2292603']

Do you think you could each help me create a profile page for you for the website?

What I envision is a picture of each of you, OR if you prefer a level of privacy online, and that is very reasonable, a picture of your order. I would like you to write 3-5 paragraphs. 2-3 paragraphs with your abbreviated discernment story, 1 paragraph about the order you are going to enter, and any other information you want to include, including your current debt (you can round it off).

Then I am wondering if it would be possible to actually link directly to your lenders. I know with my school debt I can actually just give someone my account numbers and they can make payments. It's not like they can draw money from it or anything :P. That would eliminate the 3.5% that would go to a third party processor. And finally, yes, if members of PM aren't able to vouch for you because you are new, just privately send me a reference, a vocations director, pastor or family member would be perfectly fine. I want to give donors a sense of confidence.
[/quote]

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1313944554' post='2292603']

[/quote]

As its an Irish bank, I don't know if its possible. I can certainly give you the account numbers but as its international I don't know how well it'll work. I'll be home the end of September and I'll ask them then.

How soon do you want the paragraphs?

abrideofChrist

Brother Adam,

You may wish to check in with IRS regulations for this... I remember another person who collected funds for a charity and had to pay income tax for the donations.

Brother Adam

Which is why it was my thought to eliminate me as an intermediary and we would only advertise it - the funds would go directly to the debt holders.

TeresaBenedicta

Adam, I'd be honored if I could be numbered among the aspiring religious on your site. My goal is to enter at the end of one year's time (next summer, sometime). My salary from working as DRE should get me mostly there, but I think I'll still be short about $5K. Right now I'm living with my religious community- been accepted, all of that jazz.