An Old School Catholic Message Board

Popemobile: Yes Or No?

Vincent Vega

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vincent Vega

I've thought about this on and off for sometime, so I figured I'd see what people here thought.
Do you think that it's right that the pope should ride in an armored vehicle behind bullet-proof glass? I mean, on one hand, look at St. Peter. He didn't have an entourage or guards, and there were certainly people who had as much disdain for him as people do today for HHBXVI. He even ended up crucified. In this light, it almost seems kind of (and I hesitate to use this word) cowardly for our modern popes to use the popemobile.
On the other hand, I can see why it would be impractical to go through 10 popes in a year because they were all assassinated by crazies.
What do you think?

I think they should make it amphibious.

Seriously, I suspect Obama travels with bullet proof glass, so why not the Pope?

I think it's a common courtesy -- the Pope is a globally known and respected leader of over a billion people. He should be protected. I would say the same for leaders of other religions, too.

And besides, he's the Pope. He deserves a cool ride. :cool:

Edited by MissyP89

My mom doesn't see the point of exposing him, and also notes that it's become a tradition. I agree with Missy P89 too.

I agree with Missy; he's a world leader and needs protection. Unlike most world leaders, his vehicle still allows people to see him.

Off Topic: Also surprisingly on another board I go to that's vehemently anti-religion, there was a question about what a person would do if the Pope showed up at their door while touring their city. Almost every single person who was virulently anti-Christian said they'd welcome him warmly and be honored to speak and debate with him because he's a world leader and deserving of respect at the very least.

Confession: I have a Popemobile in Mafia Wars and a Swiss Guard. :huh:

MissScripture

I don't think it had the bullet proof glass before the assassination attempt against Blessed John Paul II, but I could be wrong. :idontknow: At any rate, I think it's a sweet ride and I would LOVE to ride in it. :ninja:

Vincent Vega

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1313708851' post='2290923']
Seriously, I suspect Obama travels with bullet proof glass, so why not the Pope?
[/quote]
Because Obama's job doesn't require him to accept if he's asked to be a martyr.
[spoiler]Just playing the argument for the sake of doing it. I'm not sure where I stand on the matter.[/spoiler]

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Maximilianus

[/quote]

That would be amesome. He could travel by sea and storm the beaches and secure a beach head, that is way more cooler than stepping off a plane onto an airport ramp.

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1313713717' post='2290957']

That would be amesome. He could travel by sea and storm the beaches and secure a beach head, that is way more cooler than stepping off a plane onto an airport ramp.
[/quote]

I can now, thanks to you, see Bl. John Paul II kissing the sand after making an amphibious landing.

Even with the popemobile, there are numerous opportunities to martyr a pope - having him ride in a safe(r)r vehicle simply reduces the number of opportunities.

And he doesn't always travel in the popemobile - only when he's "on parade." I was walking across Vatican Square a couple of years ago when the pope came through the gates in his regular car (a Mercedes). He rolled down the window and waved to us.

I nominate a Schwimmwagen for our German Shepard.
[img]http://media.nowpublic.net/images//f3/c/f3c15194d9d41d368b7a5c6d2e846a28.jpg[/img]

RezaMikhaeil

[/quote]

Obama and the Roman Catholic Pope are different...

I really could care less if he rides in the pope mobile or not... The Coptic Pope doesn't use a Pope Mobile and his life is more in danger then the Roman Catholic Pope but to each their own. [mod]Negative Criticisms: A post or comment that negatively criticizes a different religion in a way that is harmful to open ecumenical dialogue.[/mod]

Edited by Lil Red

MissScripture

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1313713286' post='2290952']
I don't think it had the bullet proof glass before the assassination attempt against Blessed John Paul II, but I could be wrong. :idontknow: At any rate, I think it's a sweet ride and I would LOVE to ride in it. :ninja:
[/quote]
According to wikipedia there was not bullet proof glass before the assassination attempt and there are still some that are open. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popemobile"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popemobile[/url]

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1313722361' post='2291075']
According to wikipedia there was not bullet proof glass before the assassination attempt and there are still some that are open. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popemobile"]http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Popemobile[/url]
[/quote]

haha, THAT'S where i remembered that from, good old wikipedia :like: