An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do Some People Have A Problem With Non-Denom People Self-Identifyi

cooterhein

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1313643741' post='2290432']
So why are you non denominational anyway?[/quote]Got here because I started here; stayed here because so far, I don't have a reason to go anywhere else. I might, though. It's not like I'm opposed to denominations in general. There's several that I might be a part of one day.

[quote]Christ started one Church, guess which one, where we can receive Him Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity every day if we can get our butt to Mass.[/quote]If I wanted to be part of something that's most similar to first-century Christianity, I'd be Orthodox. And we have a difference of opinion on what you can and can't get at Mass.

[quote]What else is there if there isnt Jesus?[/quote]If you're asking what else is there with regard to God....Being trinitarian, I would say God the Father and the Holy Spirit.

but if we know the one church founded by Jesus was the catholic church, why be something different? are you not going against Jesus wishes by splintering off from catholisism? Jesus founded the catholic church here on earth. to be a part of another group of worshippers is to not be catholic and not be part of the church Jesus founded. i am baffled by protestants when they actively choose to stray from the church Jesus founded.

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1313646887' post='2290456']
but if we know the one church founded by Jesus was the catholic church, why be something different? are you not going against Jesus wishes by splintering off from catholisism? Jesus founded the catholic church here on earth. to be a part of another group of worshippers is to not be catholic and not be part of the church Jesus founded. i am baffled by protestants when they actively choose to stray from the church Jesus founded.
[/quote]If you can at least tell me whether or not you plan on addressing the OP, I will be happy to send you a private message.

Edit- odds are, it'll be nice and long, too. :)

Edited by cooterhein

RezaMikhaeil

The question that I have for you is: How many other non-denominational 'churches' [more like religious gatherings] have you visited? I'd attended a "non-demoninational" church for 3 years of my early teens but when I was studying anthropology I'd also attended three or four others. What I'd witnessed from an athropological perspective, was that they had more in common then they'd liked to acknowledge. All of those that I'd attended believed the same on:

- Baptism
- Sola Scriptura
- Pastoral leadership roles
- Jesus Christ and all matters concerning him

And surprisingly, their opinions of Charismatic "gifts" too.

Therefore, thou they may not have been affiliated as a "denomination" such as the Four Square, Baptist, Methodists, etc under a common title or communion, but they did share a common history, which is why they agreed on most things with their doctrine too. Much like Martin Luther and John Calvin, who founded two distinct religious groups under the same pretenses.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1313646887' post='2290456']
[/quote]

Thou I'd agree that the Apostles at the orders of Jesus Christ founded one Church. Where we'd disagree is weather that is the modern Roman Catholic Church or not. It's not quite a black and white issue as you'd like to conclude.

[quote name='RezaMikhaeil' timestamp='1313659643' post='2290495']
It's not quite a black and white issue as you'd like to conclude.
[/quote]
Yeah, it is. Here's a quote from Martin Luther, "We concede—as we must—that so much of what the Catholic Church says is true: that the Papacy has God’s word and the office of the Apostles, and that we have received Holy Scriptures, baptism, the sacrament, and the pulpit from them. What would we know of these if it were not for them?"

Vincent Vega

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1313631057' post='2290269']
You clearly didn't read the OP
[/quote]
You right.

[quote name='cooterhein' timestamp='1313643728' post='2290431']
Not relevant or funny. Therefore, doubly offensive.
[/quote]
Not trying to be funny. You'd know if I was, because you'd be rofling.
Also, don't get offended so easily. That was not an offensive post. You'd know if it was because you'd be in tears.

missionseeker

I'm a word/literary person. That's my problem with non-demoninationalist. Not the people themselves, but the name. If you look at the root of the word "denomination", you find it's from the Latin for "name" nominalis (not sure if that's spelled right) and nomen. Take a look at these definitions for denomination: [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]a[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]name[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]or[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]designation,[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]especially[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]one[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]for[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]a[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]class[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]of[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]things. [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]a[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]class[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]or[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]kind[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]of[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]persons[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]or[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]things[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]distinguished[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]by[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]a[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]specific[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]name. [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]the[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]act[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]of[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]naming[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]or[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]designating[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]a[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]person[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]or[/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]thing.[/size][/font][/color]

non-denominational would mean not separating something by name, yet as soon as you call it "non-denominational" it has a name, and it even implies certain shared beliefs, which would make the term non-demoninational and oxymoron.

I one time passed a sign for a Non-Denom church that said "No creed! No Doctrine! No Judgement!" Well, you have to believe SOMETHING. And I would imagine that the group of people who go to that church believe something similar or else they wouldn't go to that church.

And that is my issue with that.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1313682010' post='2290562']
Yeah, it is. Here's a quote from Martin Luther, "We concede—as we must—that so much of what the Catholic Church says is true: that the Papacy has God’s word and the office of the Apostles, and that we have received Holy Scriptures, baptism, the sacrament, and the pulpit from them. What would we know of these if it were not for them?"
[/quote]

Martin Luther said that and lots of other things contrary to that too. It's not a black and white issue... if it were then why would St. Athanasius be more trusted in Christendom then the Roman Catholic Pope? This is not a cut and dry issue as much as you'd like to believe that it is...

Ok so non-denominational is like some guy who been with this chick fo' like 5 yurrs. And the womans is all "when we gonna get marrie?," and the mans is all "hey boo boo why I gotta put a ring on it to prove me love fuh you," and the lady comes back at him like "you just afraid of commitment," and then he's all "a piece of paper sayin' we married ain't gon' change how I feel about you baby" and you know all that stuff that you done heard in just about any romantic comedy or sitcom that you ever did see.

It's just like that. All of that.

Sayin' you're a non-denom ain't just keepin it real homes.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

May the peace of our lord and saviour christ jesus be with you,in you and through you :)
I have no problem with non-denominational groups in general unless there anti-catholic, I base my opinion on the gospels and jesus said that one must be baptised and believe and that anyone whom speaks in my name can eventually do no evil. Also the apostles complained that others where casting demons out in jesus name but where not following them,jesus rebuked them and said "whom is for you can not be against you(i believe he was speaking of himself and the apostles preciding his ascention being the body of christ" therefore if your not anti-catholic i am not anti-non denominational, though even than if you where i would understand one may be mis-informed about what the church truely believes. May i reccomend you a book, Rome sweet Rome, by somone hahn or hann (unsure of his first and last name, can somone please post the mans full name,but the book is definately Rome sweet Rome). Tis book is about a protestant man whom was mis-informed about what the catholic church truely believes. I had access to the book for 30 minutes and read about the first 20 pages and was blowen away.

God Bless you (the person whom started this topic and any other non-denominational or denominational other christians in topic)
P.S. My idea on catholics that attack other baptised believers is they may be as mis-informed about what you believe as much as you are of what they believe.
JC "seek and ye shall find, knock and the door will be open"(jesus never says how many times you have to knock nore how long one must be seeking)

ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOULS, JESUS IZ LORD

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

[quote name='RezaMikhaeil' timestamp='1313692024' post='2290619']
Martin Luther said that and lots of other things contrary to that too. It's not a black and white issue... if it were then why would St. Athanasius be more trusted in Christendom then the Roman Catholic Pope? This is not a cut and dry issue as much as you'd like to believe that it is...
[/quote]
The Catholic Church is the Church founded by Jesus Christ. I have no idea what you mean by saying that St. Athanasius is more trusted than the Pope. Trusted about what?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1313630699' post='2290262']
I guess I don't have anything more against non-denoms than I do against other types of protestants.
[/quote]
Agreed.

I have a much bigger problem with people self-identifying as "Catholics" who are Catholic in name only.

loveofchrist1

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1313696811' post='2290695']
Ok so non-denominational is like some guy who been with this chick fo' like 5 yurrs. And the womans is all "when we gonna get marrie?," and the mans is all "hey boo boo why I gotta put a ring on it to prove me love fuh you," and the lady comes back at him like "you just afraid of commitment," and then he's all "a piece of paper sayin' we married ain't gon' change how I feel about you baby" and you know all that stuff that you done heard in just about any romantic comedy or sitcom that you ever did see.

[/quote]
lol this the best response to this post.
OH MY DAYS :lol:

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1313696811' post='2290695']

[/quote]

I laughed so much reading this post that I feel my props are insufficient. So:

CRAZY DOPE POST, YO. Well done. :like: