An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Texas Seceed

Don John of Austria

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vincent Vega

Mexico can't even control their own people. Why would anybody think they could handle a war with an independent state?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1313721506' post='2291066']

I dunno Mexicans can be pretty lazy... :P
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you remember me giving dust a hard time huh? [mod]public criticism of mods[/mod]
[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1313722904' post='2291082']
Mexico can't even control their own people. Why would anybody think they could handle a war with an independent state?
[/quote]

Well, I think that they can control their people but there is more to it then that. However without getting into the specifics of their politics, I will say that fighting to get texas back would unite their entire nation. It wouldn't be government vs drug cartels, it would be government and drug cartels vs texas government. Very different circumstances.

Note: Mexico might have difficulties with their drug cartels, but so does the government of texas and the us federal gov.

Edited by Lil Red
public criticism of mods

Vincent Vega

[quote name='RezaMikhaeil' timestamp='1313724589' post='2291105']
Well, I think that they can control their people but there is more to it then that. However without getting into the specifics of their politics, I will say that fighting to get texas back would unite their entire nation. It wouldn't be government vs drug cartels, it would be government and drug cartels vs texas government. Very different circumstances.[/quote]
I sincerely doubt that the magical bonds of patriotism would suddenly usurp the place of the idol of profit and power that the drug cartels worship and turn them into nice, orderly soldiers who would fight for the noble cause of their homeland.
[quote]
Note: Mexico might have difficulties with their drug cartels, but so does the government of texas and the us federal gov.
[/quote]
You can't seriously be comparing the problems that Mexico is having with its drug cartels to the issues that Texans have with the federal government?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1313724902' post='2291109']
I sincerely doubt that the magical bonds of patriotism would suddenly usurp the place of the idol of profit and power that the drug cartels worship and turn them into nice, orderly soldiers who would fight for the noble cause of their homeland.[/quote]

You obviously haven't spent much time in Mexico. There are many divides but hatred for what happened with texas is not one of them. That is a uniting factor.

[quote]You can't seriously be comparing the problems that Mexico is having with its drug cartels to the issues that Texans have with the federal government?
[/quote] Yes I am, because their war on drugs has failed and so has ours.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='RezaMikhaeil' timestamp='1313725099' post='2291114']
Yes I am, because their war on drugs has failed and so has ours.
[/quote]
You're right, I forgot how we've devolved into a state of anarchy where the druglords are the de facto rulers.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1313725269' post='2291119']
You're right, I forgot how we've devolved into a state of anarchy where the druglords are the de facto rulers.
[/quote]

That's such a simplistic view... and not remotely true of the whole country.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='RezaMikhaeil' timestamp='1313725390' post='2291123']
[/quote]
Yes, my view is simplistic, but yours that our situation and Mexico's are even remotely similar is completely realistic.

[quote name='RezaMikhaeil' timestamp='1313725390' post='2291123']
[/quote]
nor is it remotely true of any sizeable area of the US, unlike Mexico, which is kinda the point.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1313721710' post='2291068']

and loaded with Dos Equis :D

so can we Texans, so i call it a draw ....
[/quote]

Im like the poster child of lazy, so I agree with this draw and pass the Dos

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you remember me giving dust a hard time huh? [mod]public criticism of mods[/mod]

Nope I dont remember that. I was just being silly I do have a lot more posts than you though so I think the mods know Im joking by now and that I dont hate Mexicans. Canadians on the other hand... BLECK!

Edited by Lil Red

• 2 weeks later...

As a former political science student in Texas... the United States Supreme Court, the Texas Constitution, and public opinion of Texans are against "[i]succession[/i]".

After the civil war, where Texas was on the loosing side, Texas sued once again to succeed from the union under treaty and the United States Constitution, the Supreme Court rejected it commenting, [i]"When, therefore, Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation. All the obligations of perpetual union, and all the guaranties of republican government in the Union, attached at once to the State. The act which consummated her admission into the Union was something more than a compact; it was the incorporation of a new member into the political body. [u][b]And it was final.[/b][/u] [b]The union between Texas and the other States was as [u]complete, as perpetual, and as indissoluble[/u] as the union between the original States. There was [u]no place for reconsideration or revocation[/u], except through revolution or through consent of the States.[/b]"[/i]

Article 3 Section 56 of the Texas Constitution prohibits the legislature from "[i]changing the law of descent or succession[/i]" and Article 1 Section 1 guarantees Texas is "[i]subject only to the Constitution of the United States; and the maintenance of our institutions and the perpetuity of the Union[/i]".

In a general polling of from the [b][url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/17/texas-secession-poll-75-o_n_188145.html"]huffingtonpost[/url][/b] shows 75% of Texans oppose succession and only 18% of Texans opted for succession. More starkly only 31% of Texans surveyed believed Texas had a right to succeed. A super-majority of Texans oppose succession and when Governor Rick Perry hinted at succession during a public address he received wide and harsh criticism.

So simply put... Texas can't leave and isn't going to leave. Even if the 7% of Texans surveyed who were not sure changed their mind in favor of succession it would still lack even a plural majority.

Edited by Mr.Cat

The word "secede" isn't in it, but other words are. Really, people.

[url="http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling"]http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling[/url]

You're welcome.

[quote name='Mr.Cat' timestamp='1314827571' post='2298299']
As a former political science student in Texas... the United States Supreme Court, the Texas Constitution, and public opinion of Texans are against "[i]succession[/i]".

After the civil war, where Texas was on the loosing side, Texas sued once again to succeed from the union under treaty and the United States Constitution, the Supreme Court rejected it commenting, [i]"When, therefore, Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation. All the obligations of perpetual union, and all the guaranties of republican government in the Union, attached at once to the State. The act which consummated her admission into the Union was something more than a compact; it was the incorporation of a new member into the political body. [u][b]And it was final.[/b][/u] [b]The union between Texas and the other States was as [u]complete, as perpetual, and as indissoluble[/u] as the union between the original States. There was [u]no place for reconsideration or revocation[/u], except through revolution or through consent of the States.[/b]"[/i]

Article 3 Section 56 of the Texas Constitution prohibits the legislature from "[i]changing the law of descent or succession[/i]" and Article 1 Section 1 guarantees Texas is "[i]subject only to the Constitution of the United States; and the maintenance of our institutions and the perpetuity of the Union[/i]".

In a general polling of from the [b][url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/17/texas-secession-poll-75-o_n_188145.html"]huffingtonpost[/url][/b] shows 75% of Texans oppose succession and only 18% of Texans opted for succession. More starkly only 31% of Texans surveyed believed Texas had a right to succeed. A super-majority of Texans oppose succession and when Governor Rick Perry hinted at succession during a public address he received wide and harsh criticism.

So simply put... Texas can't leave and isn't going to leave. Even if the 7% of Texans surveyed who were not sure changed their mind in favor of succession it would still lack even a plural majority.
[/quote]

you sited the huffington post. That's funny.