An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Texas Seceed

Don John of Austria

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1313689186' post='2290585']
We should secede and take the Constitution with us. We shall preserve it as the last faithful remnant until such time as the liberal parts of the country implode and beg us to come back.[/quote]

If you were just talking about Ron Paul, then I'd believe what you just wrote. Unfortunately most of your politicians and citizens do not believe in the constitution, which is why George Bush got into so much trouble while president.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

I do not think that this is a time for secession. The country very much can still be turned around towards the good and moved towards future economic sustainable policies. That being said, I can also see the opposite event happening: the government grows larger and larger and moves beyond the patriot act, invasive airport screenings, the suspension of [i]habeus corpus[/i] and the indefinite holding of individuals (american citizens as well as citizens of other western countries though all people have the same rights)in military prisons, and an economic system of continuous spending which is unsustainable. This trend of aggregation of power to the federal level could lead to an oppressive regime, especially if the economy goes really down hill rapidly and resulting in a disgruntled citizenry that is already divided on social issues and the government feels it "must secure the peace" and uses current military powers as a precedent to do so. The London burning might look tame in such a scenario. Then one might make the case for secession in order to avoid slavery and oppression [i]from[/i] the North/Federal Level and return power closer to the people, but now is not that time. Also, when America "in its righteous might" thinks they are the good guys the army has been known to do terrible things like drop atomic bombs on civilian populations, bombing entire cities of Germany like Dresden and Hamburg and killing many many civilians--oh and lest we forget--marching through the south burning civilians' farms and land and slaughtering their livestock (destroying the livelihood of families and the way families support themselves) as one marches to capture a city and then national leaders greet the general who does such a things as a hero rather than as the war criminal that he is. Secession if carried out against an oppressive regime will not be a pretty war but will be very bloody.

Note** This is coming from a good 'ole Southern boy from Louisiana who thinks that I-10 East is the best thing to come out of Texas.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1313689186' post='2290585']
We should secede and take the Constitution with us. We shall preserve it as the last faithful remnant until such time as the liberal parts of the country implode and beg us to come back. At which point we will with the Constitution in hand and reimpose the true American way upon the groveling fools. Couple of amendments though: 2 term limit to any elected federal official and clarification that separation of church and state is a myth - the govt may not impose itself on religion or the free exercise thereof in any way shape form or manner in any locale or setting.

the less foolish states can come with us to bask in our true american glory as long as they throw off the shackles of big govt. maybe OK, AK, ND, SD, KS, NB, GA, half of CA, UT, MT, AZ, part of CO, ID, MO, am i forgetting any? let the left and east coasts wallow in the liberal secularist filth they chose for themselves
[/quote]

I would challenge you...go read some scholarly works on the Constitutional Convention. Compare the original Articles of Confederation with the finished Constitution as it was ratified. Then get back to me on whether hanging on to the Constitution made your "true America" any better off.

Signed, an Alabamian apparently wallowing in liberal secularist filth

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1313694931' post='2290662']

I would challenge you...go read some scholarly works on the Constitutional Convention. Compare the original Articles of Confederation with the finished Constitution as it was ratified. Then get back to me on whether hanging on to the Constitution made your "true America" any better off.

Signed, an Alabamian apparently wallowing in liberal secularist filth
[/quote]

Props from a Floridian apparently wallowing in the same. I have a feeling that perhaps Texas is not the gold-paved utopia that some here would paint it to be...

dominicansoul

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1313695708' post='2290678']

Props from a Floridian apparently wallowing in the same. I have a feeling that perhaps Texas is not the gold-paved utopia that some here would paint it to be...
[/quote]

its not, but its still the best state in the union... :P

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1313696146' post='2290681']
its not, but its still [i][to the left of] [/i]the best state in the union... :P
[/quote]

There, I fixed it for you.

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Groo the Wanderer

woo-hoo! i stirred the pot! props for me! at least i got peeps to stop calling each other names :-)

:winner: :bananarap: :paco: :blues:

dominicansoul

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1313715999' post='2290987']
how hilarious would it be if texas seceded and was invaded and conquered by mexico?
[/quote]

i think texas kicked mexico's arse the last time the two tangled ...

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1313719956' post='2291047']

i think texas kicked mexico's arse the last time the two tangled ...
[/quote]

I highly doubt they'd win this time around.

[quote name='RezaMikhaeil' timestamp='1313721022' post='2291058']
I highly doubt they'd win this time around.
[/quote]

I dunno Mexicans can be pretty lazy... :P

dominicansoul

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1313721506' post='2291066']

I dunno Mexicans can be pretty lazy... :P
[/quote]

and loaded with Dos Equis :D

so can we Texans, so i call it a draw ....