An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Texas Seceed

Don John of Austria

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Texas is a big deal, but not that big a deal.

Usually the secession thing is about braggadocio. But I'm honestly wierded out when people say they could so easily throw off America. No more George Washington, no more dollar bill, no more 4th of july or declaration of independence, no more flag on the moon. No more "American way of life" -- no more "American dream." The story of Texas is good, but can it honestly mmmmmmmm stand in for the most powerful political idea on planet earth?

Folks who seriously think this way ... did they get sick of their country and decide to leave? Or were they never "real" Americans to begin with? (By "real Americans" I mean people who love and embrace America's history, culture, and destiny as their own)

Edited by Lilllabettt

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1313634844' post='2290339']
Texas is a big deal, but not that big a deal.

Usually the secession thing is about bragaddacio. But I'm honestly wierded out when people say they could so easily throw off America. No more George Washington, no more dollar bill, no more 4th of july or declaration of independence, no more flag on the moon. No more "American way of life" -- no more "American dream." The story of Texas is good, but can it honestly mmmmmmmm stand in for the most powerful political idea on planet earth?

Folks who seriously think this way ... did they get sick of their country and decide to leave? Or were they never "real" Americans to begin with? (By "real Americans" I mean people who love and embrace America's history, culture, and destiny as their own)
[/quote]

I wish I had more props to give.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1313635051' post='2290340']

I wish I had more props to give.
[/quote]
there gave it for you and me :like:

RezaMikhaeil

Dude that's a lame excuse to want to leave the union. "I don't like how texas has been treated", every state feels like that... but we're a united country.

Honestly, if texas does suceed, we should invade it for oil like one of it's citizens did to Iraq... I'm just saying.

southern california guy

[quote name='RezaMikhaeil' timestamp='1313635692' post='2290350']
Dude that's a lame excuse to want to leave the union. "I don't like how texas has been treated", every state feels like that... but we're a united country.

Honestly, if texas does suceed, we should invade it for oil like one of it's citizens did to Iraq... I'm just saying.
[/quote]

It wasn't entirely for oil. You have to remember that his daddy helped run Sadam's military out of Kuwait -- but he didn't kill Sadam or attack Iraq. So Junior wanted to finish the job. Everybody knew that he was going to do it if we elected him. And we did...

this is off topic. But really, if all I wanted was somebody's oil, I'd cut a sweetheart deal with the facist dictator who controlled that oil, and make sure I prop him up so as to get my secure, steady supply. What I would not do is overthrow the dictator and establish an unstable form of government (democracy), thus putting control over the oil I want into the hands of the me-loathing population.

Okay, now that my iPod is charged I can go to bed like I told the chatroom. But first, this is for the off-topic posts:
[img]http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/_/1/saddam_rummy.jpg[/img]

That is 1983, Special Envoy Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with American ally (to an extent) Saddam Hussein. Saddam is known not only for his brutal rise to power at this point, but his astounding literacy programs for the children.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1313619432' post='2290120']
Your face can chill out.

I'm talking about the money from Texans and trade in Texas that goes straight to the Federal government in taxes. In addition, Texas supplies many of the people who kill for the political class. I send a few thousand to the federal government every year from my paycheck.
[/quote]

why does everyone keep going on about Texas supporting the whole country? it isnt doing it by itself. Texas and the other 18 states that contribute more than they recieve(of which texas is the third lowest, and 78% of the rest are liberal) are supporting the other 32 states that recieve more than they contribue (84% of which are republican)

[quote name='Don John of Austria' timestamp='1313619788' post='2290125']

No they don't , we are a donor state, more money leaves than we get back.
[/quote]

one of many. 15 states contribute more than texas. most of them are liberal states, but i dont hear much about them seceding.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1313637456' post='2290376']
this is off topic. But really, if all I wanted was somebody's oil, I'd cut a sweetheart deal with the facist dictator who controlled that oil, and make sure I prop him up so as to get my secure, steady supply. What I would not do is overthrow the dictator and establish an unstable form of government (democracy), thus putting control over the oil I want into the hands of the me-loathing population.
[/quote]

the reason Saddam was in power was because the USA was propping him up for so long.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Don John of Austria' timestamp='1313619788' post='2290125']

No they don't , we are a donor state, more money leaves than we get back.
[/quote]

Don, as much as I like you, I'm going to have to clarify some points with you. First, many states give more then they recieve, Texas is not remotely the only state. Second if you break texas down to congretional districts, the 14th district of Texas collects some of the most federal money in the entire united states. They get approx 4 billion, which averages out to approx. 14,000 for every resident. So to say that Texas doesn't get federal funding is completely false. I'm not going to say that it's a downright lie to say that texas gives more then it recieves but it's pretty close to it.

RezaMikhaeil

According to Tax Foundation, the states that recieve the most in federal funding compared to the amount that they are taxed, are as follows:

1. D.C. ($6.17)
2. [b]North Dakota[/b] ($2.03)
3. New Mexico ($1.89)
4. [b]Mississippi[/b] ($1.84)
5. [b]Alaska[/b] ($1.82)
6. [b]West Virginia[/b] ($1.74)
7. [b]Montana[/b] ($1.64)
8. [b]Alabama[/b] ($1.61)
9. [b]South Dakota[/b] ($1.59)
10. [b]Arkansas[/b] ($1.53)

The 10 states that get the least amount of federal funds compared to what they are taxed are:

1. [b]New Jersey[/b] ($0.62)
2. [b]Connecticut[/b] ($0.64)
3. New Hampshire ($0.68)
4. Nevada ($0.73)
5. [b]Illinois[/b] ($0.77)
6. [b]Minnesota[/b] ($0.77)
7. Colorado ($0.79)
8. [b]Massachusetts[/b] ($0.79)
9. [b]California[/b] ($0.81)
10. [b]New York[/b] ($0.81)

Notice that Texas isn't listed in either of these categories. It falls somewhere in the middle. Therefore this idea that it gives the union so much more then it recieves and so therefore should cease to be part of the union is ridiculous and quite unAmerican/unpatriotic.

Groo the Wanderer

We should secede and take the Constitution with us. We shall preserve it as the last faithful remnant until such time as the liberal parts of the country implode and beg us to come back. At which point we will with the Constitution in hand and reimpose the true American way upon the groveling fools. Couple of amendments though: 2 term limit to any elected federal official and clarification that separation of church and state is a myth - the govt may not impose itself on religion or the free exercise thereof in any way shape form or manner in any locale or setting.

the less foolish states can come with us to bask in our true american glory as long as they throw off the shackles of big govt. maybe OK, AK, ND, SD, KS, NB, GA, half of CA, UT, MT, AZ, part of CO, ID, MO, am i forgetting any? let the left and east coasts wallow in the liberal secularist filth they chose for themselves

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

dominicansoul

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1313689186' post='2290585']
We should secede and take the Constitution with us. We shall preserve it as the last faithful remnant until such time as the liberal parts of the country implode and beg us to come back. At which point we will with the Constitution in hand and reimpose the true American way upon the groveling fools. Couple of amendments though: 2 term limit to any elected federal official and clarification that separation of church and state is a myth - the govt may not impose itself on religion or the free exercise thereof in any way shape form or manner in any locale or setting.

the less foolish states can come with us to bask in our true american glory as long as they throw off the shackles of big govt. maybe OK, AK, ND, SD, KS, NB, GA, half of CA, UT, MT, AZ, part of CO, ID, MO, am i forgetting any? let the left and east coasts wallow in the liberal secularist filth they chose for themselves
[/quote]

this. texas rawks, sorry haters ....