An Old School Catholic Message Board

What To Expect On A Visit To Carmel?

ceciliatherese

ceciliatherese

Hi all,

I'm leaving tomorrow for an overnight visit at the Carmel of Elysburg. I'm really new to this (visiting monasteries and everything) and since me and Mother Stella Maria only do snail mail I didn't really have time to ask her about specifics. What would you all suggest I bring? Has anyone had any experience with this? I just want to sort of know what to expect :P Thanks for any help!

OnlySunshine

Well, since you're only going for an overnight visit, just bring the essentials - underwear, shirts, skirt, socks, PJs, shoes, chapel veil or scarf (FSSP does Latin Mass for them). My friend, Moriah, entered as a postulant there in December 2010 and will be clothed as a novice this month. She said that they pray the Latin version of the Divine Office, so they will most likely provide the prayers if you wish to follow along. I would definitely bring a prayer book and a rosary for private time in the Chapel. If you are staying in the guest house, they have pretty much all you need.

Also, it is customary to bring a small gift such as a basket of fruit (since Carmelites perpetually fast from meat) or a loaf of bread. Some suggest a bottle of wine for feast days or chocolate, too.

Hi Ceciliatherese! That's so exciting that you'll be visiting the Elysburg Carmel! I visited there last year. It seems like maybe one or two others from the forum have been there too. Don't worry - you really don't need to bring too much. In the guest room, there's pretty much everything you'll need - bed, alarm clock, fridge with some food, microwave, bathroom and shower. There was even shampoo and soap when I was there! The nuns have you covered!! In the room there's a schedule of their day, so you can be in chapel at the right times to follow along. They say the rosary in chapel in the afternoon - once when I was there they said it in Spanish! They gave me meals through the turn, which they left there for me at meal times. I ate alone and just had to return the tray through the turn. I brought my brievary with me, but I didn't end up using it much because they say the office in Latin, and in the Carmelite rite (so not exactly the same psalms, readings etc.). Someone else could probably explain the Carmelite rite a bit better than me (maybe someone else from phatmass? any volunteers? :) ) Or you could just ask Mother! Mother gave me their brievary and marked where I needed to follow along. She also gave me a couple books to read while I was there (My Beloved and Let Him Do It - about St. Maravillas of Jesus), so I guess you probably won't need to bring any additional spiritual reading. Also, if you don't have a chapel veil, they provide them at the entrance to the public chapel. I'm trying to think of what else... All you really need is just a change of clothes...toiletries...your watch...your rosary and Bible...and God will provide the rest! I made a small donation to the sisters at the end of my stay - I guess you could do that or bring a 'thank you' gift with you, like Matermisericordiae suggested. The nuns also sell scapulars, prayer cards, etc., so you could bring money for that if you'd like. Anyway, don't be nervous, talk to Mother honestly and frankly (she's really kind), and enjoy the beautiful, quiet grounds (visit St. Joseph's shrine and the little pond!) And have a nice retreat!! I pray that this trip will help enlighten you to God's will in your life! God bless you and your time with the Carmelites!

• 2 weeks later...
ceciliatherese

Thanks ladies for your responses. I'm sorry it took me a little while to respond. The retreat was BEAUTIFUL, and I think it was really a wake-up call. Mother Stella Marie thinks I definitely had a vocation, which I found kind of scary, haha. I had a lot of doubts- one of them being that I have four younger siblings, the youngest 8, and I don't want to miss him growing up, another being that I am seriously NOT holy in any way, I wouldn't even call myself pious. I must be one of the stupidest people God was amesome enough to call in recent years :dunce: haha. She said that those are seriously one of the top concerns girls have entering the cloister, and actually one of the girls there entered at 17, and she feels now even closer to her family than she did before.
I went to the 7 AM Mass in the morning, and it was so, I don't think I can really describe it, but really soul-touching (is that even a word?? lol) It was so cool to see all the nuns receive the Eucharist at Holy Communion time, and to follow along with the Latin in the breviary (I think it's called). The Latin Mass has the most beautiful prayers, it really does. I got to pray a lot, and I read the Problem of Pain, by C.S. Lewis, which I would recommend to ANYONE wanting to try and understand God further. It opened my eyes so much. I walked the grounds, it was so peaceful. Amy G., I DID visit the St. Joe's shrine and the pond! They were both so beautiful. The pond was my favorite (sorry, I'm a bit of a tree-hugger :unsure: ) and I would just sit there thinking. Oh, I also brought Mother a bottle of red wine as a present, and she really liked it. But yes- I feel drawn more and more to it, as I'm attending college and everything, the desire is just always there.
Thanks everyone if you've gotten so far in reading my obnoxiously long post, haha. I haven't really told my friends that I'm discerning (or many of my family members) so I want to tell SOMEONE this, as it's very exciting :-).

OnlySunshine

[quote name='ceciliatherese' timestamp='1314561791' post='2296444']
Thanks ladies for your responses. I'm sorry it took me a little while to respond. The retreat was BEAUTIFUL, and I think it was really a wake-up call. Mother Stella Marie thinks I definitely had a vocation, which I found kind of scary, haha. I had a lot of doubts- one of them being that I have four younger siblings, the youngest 8, and I don't want to miss him growing up, another being that I am seriously NOT holy in any way, I wouldn't even call myself pious. I must be one of the stupidest people God was amesome enough to call in recent years :dunce: haha. She said that those are seriously one of the top concerns girls have entering the cloister, and actually one of the girls there entered at 17, and she feels now even closer to her family than she did before.
I went to the 7 AM Mass in the morning, and it was so, I don't think I can really describe it, but really soul-touching (is that even a word?? lol) It was so cool to see all the nuns receive the Eucharist at Holy Communion time, and to follow along with the Latin in the breviary (I think it's called). The Latin Mass has the most beautiful prayers, it really does. I got to pray a lot, and I read the Problem of Pain, by C.S. Lewis, which I would recommend to ANYONE wanting to try and understand God further. It opened my eyes so much. I walked the grounds, it was so peaceful. Amy G., I DID visit the St. Joe's shrine and the pond! They were both so beautiful. The pond was my favorite (sorry, I'm a bit of a tree-hugger :unsure: ) and I would just sit there thinking. Oh, I also brought Mother a bottle of red wine as a present, and she really liked it. But yes- I feel drawn more and more to it, as I'm attending college and everything, the desire is just always there.
Thanks everyone if you've gotten so far in reading my obnoxiously long post, haha. I haven't really told my friends that I'm discerning (or many of my family members) so I want to tell SOMEONE this, as it's very exciting :-).
[/quote]

That's wonderful! I'm so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time. The first time a novice mistress or vocation director told me that she believed I had a vocation, it was a bit scary. I've actually had two Carmelites from separate orders tell me that. I'm still discerning it for myself and leaning in that direction still, but I don't know where I'll end up. It's important to keep your heart open to hear the will of God. :)

faithcecelia

another being that I am seriously NOT holy in any way, I wouldn't even call myself pious. I must be one of the stupidest people God was amesome enough to call in recent years :dunce: haha.

[/quote]

Do you know the sone 'Breath of Heaven' at all? Its become a bit of the song of my vocation! One verse is

Do you wonder as you watch my face
If a wiser one should have had my place?
But I offer all I am
To the mercy of your plan.
Help me be strong.

ceciliatherese

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314607242' post='2296818']

Do you know the sone 'Breath of Heaven' at all? Its become a bit of the song of my vocation! One verse is

Do you wonder as you watch my face
If a wiser one should have had my place?
But I offer all I am
To the mercy of your plan.
Help me be strong.
[/quote]

I have, my sister and I used to sing it all. the time! Thanks for the encouragement.

ceciliatherese, just want to let you know, I'm really happy you decided to write them and visit and all and to hear about your lovely visit!! Prayers for you! :pray: God bless!

p.s. you've seen the extremely beautiful (and long, 7.5 hrs) movie on St. Teresa of the Andes, right? If not, you don't have a choice! you have to!! (and not just the clips on youtube .. don't watch them, or at least not all of them, they'll spoil it) seriously, though I think you'd love it! :like:

Chiara Francesco

[/quote]

Did you see that Swedish movie, "The Nun" that is sold in the US now by Ignatius Press? In that movie, the young Carmelite left a younger brother that she was very close to and who doted on her very much. I think he was 5 or 6 when she left? The documentary shows him visiting her and him talking about her, etc. Might help you with your younger sibling problem.

Definitely discern your call now - don't keep God waiting! Also before you have too much college debt and/or life debt if you wait longer.

ceciliatherese

Eep, sorry I never responded to these! Chiquitunga, I did see that movie, so good, the acting was great, and before I watched it I had no idea who St Teresa of the Andes was, so it was amesome watching it.
Chiara, no, I haven't, but thanks for thinking of it, and I'd like to check it out.