An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Texas Unmiracle

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1313459945' post='2288822']
Oh he's one of those.
We have one of those. Except he's also a criminal.

I'm seriously considering voting democrat next gubernatorial election. This guy and his predecessor have been arse hats.

I miss Jeb. :(
[/quote]

haha, my aunt went from being an independent to being a hardcore democrat in about 2 seconds flat. She's a school teacher, and she LOATHES your governor.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1313460429' post='2288834']

haha, my aunt went from being an independent to being a hardcore democrat in about 2 seconds flat. She's a school teacher, and she LOATHES your governor.
[/quote]
Only about 2 out of 10 people don't.

Brother Adam

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1313458543' post='2288790']

Well the main thing that i dont like him for is that in texas he cut alot of money from the public education system. Me being a student in public school, it has affected my education, the teachers' job that educate me and fellow students, and many other school district jobs within the state. Including my mom's job. Thats the main reason why i dont like him. If he cant help the education system in the state he governs, how in the world is he going to do this on the national level with added college education reform and such??? Im sorry but education is way too valuable to cut money from. Im not saying i disagree with everything he has done, but the majority of what he has done within texas has not been successful.

I dont understand what you mean by "C"atholics?
[/quote]

Why did he cut money from public education and why is he bad for doing that? From what I understand most public education systems are over saturated with money and under performing - they simply don't work. If I give you money to do something and you don't do it, I'll probably take the money away from you. Or was there just no money in the budget and he was being fiscally conservative and not spending what he didn't have. As a Catholic I am not a fan of public education which exists for the state to make citizens of the state. I think of it as an absolute last case scenario when a family cannot home school or send their children to private school.

Brother Adam

"C"atholic - a Roman Catholic who practices their faith as opposed to someone who simply calls themselves catholic (CINO - Catholic in name only) but does not actually believe or practice the Catholic faith. It has nothing to do with a purity test, it is about being honest with yourself and others.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1313518373' post='2289234']

Why did he cut money from public education and why is he bad for doing that? From what I understand most public education systems are over saturated with money and under performing - they simply don't work. If I give you money to do something and you don't do it, I'll probably take the money away from you. Or was there just no money in the budget and he was being fiscally conservative and not spending what he didn't have. As a Catholic I am not a fan of public education which exists for the state to make citizens of the state. I think of it as an absolute last case scenario when a family cannot home school or send their children to private school.
[/quote]

In texas we take our public education very seriously. Especially in Austin where i live. Our public school systems have fifty bagillion students, and it's bad that he cut all that money from us because it took away alot of teaching jobs, administrative jobs, special education programs, and cut out alot of needs each individual school has to have such as textbooks, utilities, etc. So yeah it is very bad that he cut that money from the system. And public school sytems do work if they have the right leadership. Here in austin we have been blessed to have a great public school system with good leaders, teachers, administrators, and students. But how can we keep this great public school system working without the money necessary from the state to make it work and successful for our students? And there are people who are citizens of the united states who depend on public school to educate their children. Especially in this economy, not all families can afford to home school or send their children to private school. Public school has worked for me my entire life, and it will until i graduate in 2013. it worked for my brother too, and many other people i know who are attending very good colleges and universities.

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1313518373' post='2289234']

[/quote]

Did you go to public school?

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1313518654' post='2289235']
"C"atholic - a Roman Catholic who practices their faith as opposed to someone who simply calls themselves catholic (CINO - Catholic in name only) but does not actually believe or practice the Catholic faith. It has nothing to do with a purity test, it is about being honest with yourself and others.
[/quote]

A Roman Catholic who practices their faith as you feel they ought to. It is a purity tesy. Just like that RINO the essence of cow you knocked off for that CINO the essence of cow.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1313524712' post='2289318']

Did you go to public school?
[/quote]

Only for 13 years.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1313524811' post='2289320']

A Roman Catholic who practices their faith as you feel they ought to. It is a purity tesy. Just like that RINO the essence of cow you knocked off for that CINO the essence of cow.
[/quote]

How I feel has nothing to do with it. You typically don't fail this hard in logic.

Brother Adam

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1313524133' post='2289312']

In texas we take our public education very seriously. Especially in Austin where i live. Our public school systems have fifty bagillion students, and it's bad that he cut all that money from us because it took away alot of teaching jobs, administrative jobs, special education programs, and cut out alot of needs each individual school has to have such as textbooks, utilities, etc. So yeah it is very bad that he cut that money from the system. And public school sytems do work if they have the right leadership. Here in austin we have been blessed to have a great public school system with good leaders, teachers, administrators, and students. But how can we keep this great public school system working without the money necessary from the state to make it work and successful for our students? And there are people who are citizens of the united states who depend on public school to educate their children. Especially in this economy, not all families can afford to home school or send their children to private school. Public school has worked for me my entire life, and it will until i graduate in 2013. it worked for my brother too, and many other people i know who are attending very good colleges and universities.
[/quote]

Fair enough, which is why I asked, but that is rare. Corruption in public school systems and their unions is pretty common. Having students get into a good school isn't the only measure of success though, jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff) Escalante taught us a lot about that.

Brother Adam

Back to Perry, we have only covered one decision (not really even a policy) that Catholics disagree with. Why else is he the wrong choice? What makes Obama a better option? Where does he stand on the 5 non-negotiable issues for Catholics? What about national defense? How will he fix our fiscal problems? Immigration policy? Does he pull the full republican party line or deviate from it and where?

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1313458543' post='2288790']

Well the main thing that i dont like him for is that in texas he cut alot of money from the public education system. Me being a student in public school, it has affected my education, the teachers' job that educate me and fellow students, and many other school district jobs within the state. Including my mom's job. Thats the main reason why i dont like him. If he cant help the education system in the state he governs, how in the world is he going to do this on the national level with added college education reform and such??? Im sorry but education is way too valuable to cut money from. Im not saying i disagree with everything he has done, but the majority of what he has done within texas has not been successful.
[/quote]

i don't know enough about Perry but what did he cut? Sometimes extraneous stuff needs (a lot and more often) cut. did it have to do with teachers' unions?

perhaps Don John of Austria might come give his two cents, since he is a teacher in Texas.

edit, nevermind, i see Brother Adam asked and you responded to him.

Edited by Lil Red

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1313528363' post='2289344']
Back to Perry, we have only covered one decision (not really even a policy) that Catholics disagree with. Why else is he the wrong choice? What makes Obama a better option? Where does he stand on the 5 non-negotiable issues for Catholics? What about national defense? How will he fix our fiscal problems? Immigration policy? Does he pull the full republican party line or deviate from it and where?
[/quote]

Of course, as a conservative, he must stand on the morally correct side of the 5 non-negotiables. Because if he doesn't, he knows that there are, like, 5 Catholic votes he wouldn't get.

To other posters here (not Brother Adam) - I want to say that if you're still in high school, you really can't know how good your school is. It just seems silly to hear somebody talking about how great something is that they have when they have nothing to compare it to. They might think that thing is great, but in reality they have no idea.

Taking money away from schools could be a good or a bad thing. Personally, I would want to compare literacy in Texas to the state that is going in the opposite direction (giving more money to schools). If Texas has better stats, then I'd say that this Perry person might know a thing or two more than some might think.

Brother Adam

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1313531965' post='2289367']

Of course, as a conservative, he must stand on the morally correct side of the 5 non-negotiables. Because if he doesn't, he knows that there are, like, 5 Catholic votes he wouldn't get.
[/quote]

My best educated guess, and that is all it is, would be more like 20-30% of the Catholic vote who attend Mass will vote according to the guidelines of the Church. However, even if only 5 people cared, it leaves the other 99% in the wrong.

Agreed.

And I'd like to add that if my post was a little uncharitable to others posting here, I offer my apologies.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1313447062' post='2288612']

Hence my saying this:
[/quote]
My point is that the bulk of the Perry-bashers on this thread (including the op-ed's author, Paul Krugman) are in favor of exactly the unjust high taxation, hyper-manipulation of the economy by government interests, and the massive nanny-state you describe.

They aren't opposed to Perry because he's a big-spending, big-government politician, but because he is a challenger to their bigger-spending, bigger-government politicians of choice, such as Obama.