An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Did God Show You That You Have A Vocation To Be A Sister?

i<3LSOP

[font=comic sans ms, cursive] I like to hear stories about vocations! We really need more in the church! :)[/font]

Edited by i<3LSOP

MargaretTeresa

Well, I'll post the link to a very long blog post I'll have up on Friday after I go on my nun run. But feel free to peruse my blog in the meantime, which talks a lot about my discernment so far.

http://undergroundconfession.wordpress.com

faithcecelia

I was on holiday with my then boyfriend in Rome and we were going to get engaged. On the way I heard God tell me very clearly that marriage was not His plan for me, so after a very awkward holiday I ended the relationship. It was a very painful decision and I know it hurt the man involved very much, especially as at that point I could not tell him exactly why or explain what had happened - I simply didn't know yet.

Over the next few months I spent more time in prayer and threw myself into my work with the parish, hoping that being a single lay woman would mean I could live God's plan, but gradually found myself googling words like 'vocation', 'convent' etc. About 5mths after the holiday I saw a note in the parish newsletter about a come and see with a new religious community. I figured if I went then at least God would realise it wasn't what He wanted of me!!! In the end, while I soon realised that that particular community was not for me, that weekend was a massive turning point as I realised that I could never truely be happy unless I surrendered myself totally to God and became completely His.

OnlySunshine

My story is very complex because there were a lot of confusing turns along the way, but if I had to pinpoint something that would say I'm called to religious life it would be the time I met my very first religious. It was around the same time at the same retreat where I had my reversion experience. Before that, I'd never met religious. My friend, who is now a 2nd year novice, in the Sisters of Life, told me during our small group that she witnessed a similarity between me and the Blessed Mother that weekend. She said that I reflected her in the silence since I didn't speak much but I was listening very intently to everyone around me. That was a very powerful moment. I've never told her how much that changed my life. That same night, I heard Jesus speak to my heart during the Eucharistic Procession. He said He had something special planned for me. Being around the religious was a pivotal time, as well. When I came home from the weekend, I started searching online for answers about vocations and about becoming a nun/Sister.

The first community I ever visited was rather confusing as I was sick pretty much the whole weekend. At first, I attributed it to being a stomach bug, but mostly, I think it was anxiety about discernment. I was in a new environment and wasn't used to the experience at all. I knew that I was not called there because I felt a little out of place. The second community was actually the same order as the first, but a different province. I felt immediately at home with the Sisters--so much so, that I ended up applying. I, however, revoked my application after realizing that God was not calling me there. I spent a few days in their apostolate and knew it wasn't right for me. I've visited a third community but I discerned that they were not right either after the Superior told me that they do not admit people with medication needs.

I've yet to meet the community that I truly feel called to where the apostolate fits like a glove. There have been some powerful experiences, but nothing sure-fire to tell me that I'm without-a-doubt called to be a religious. I'm still in the 50/50 stage. There are times (especially recently) where I feel called more to marriage and then there are times when religious life is all I want in the world. I still have two communities to rule out--the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word and the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma. I don't know when I'll be able to visit because money is very tight right now with me not working. I'm also planning to finish school before entering unless I get a concrete sign to do otherwise. I've never really been independent from my parents and with my personality, I feel I need time in the world to mature before taking such a life-changing step. I'm not closing myself off, though. God is more than welcome to point a different path out. :)

IamMyBeloveds

[size=2]I found this poem and can very much relate to its message. I hope some of you find it helpful.[/size]

[size=2][u][b]Vocation Poem[/b][/u][/size]
[size=2]~by Sister Dorothy Anne Cahill, CSC[/size]

[size=2]“How do you know?”[/size]
[size=2]They ask me[/size]
[size=2]Looking at me with[/size]
[size=2]Earnest, questioning eyes.[/size]
[size=2]“How do you know[/size]
[size=2]When God is calling?[/size]
[size=2]There are no beckoning lights[/size]
[size=2]Cleaving the skies?”[/size]

[size=2]Their words probe deeply,[/size]
[size=2]Reviving anew the memories[/size]
[size=2]Of the years;[/size]
[size=2]Then was the world before me[/size]
[size=2]For my choosing –[/size]
[size=2]Its beauty, fame, and love –[/size]
[size=2]There were no fears.[/size]
[size=2]And yet[/size]
[size=2]The taste of fame that beckoned[/size]
[size=2]Lost its savor;[/size]
[size=2]Ambition’s drive seemed suddenly[/size]
[size=2]To wane;[/size]
[size=2]And love –[/size]
[size=2]Love grew too large for loving[/size]
[size=2]Without pain.[/size]

[size=2]They ask me.[/size]
[size=2]“How did you know that God[/size]
[size=2]Was calling you?”[/size]
[size=2]How did I know? I cannot[/size]
[size=2]Answer.[/size]
[size=2]I only know[/size]
[size=2]...I knew."[/size]

[size=3]From IamMyBeloveds:[/size]

[size=3]I had thought about religious life twice in a passing sort of way before I seriously considered it: Once when I was a child and saw some Franciscan Sisters (not in habit or anything), and then again early in high school while serving the poor at a homeless shelter I thought about it.[/size]
[size=3]When I was a junior in high school, I went on a Youth 2000 retreat where I saw young religious Sisters in the habit for the first time. At this same retreat I went deeper into my Catholic faith and desired to embrace this beautiful faith as my own on more profound level than I had been living. This was the first time I felt a tug on my heart to give God everything and serve Him as a religious.[/size]
[size=3]Time went on through college and I ran from this calling, turning to human relationships to fill a need that only God could fill. The call became more attractive once I quieted my mind and heart, got rid of the distractions, and simply let God work in my life.[/size]
[size=3]He showed me through visits to the community, but over and above all through prayer and frequenting the Sacraments...Through that silence that comes only when you quiet your heart and mind and listen to what He is asking in the depths of your soul. As time went on and I continued my prayer and visits, my decision was confirmed...not with audible words or a "sign" from above, but with prayer, a growing awareness and conviction of God's call, personal life experience, and a profound sense of "rightness" about it all, the peace that comes in following God's will.[/size]
[size=3]My decision was confirmed through these means and continues to be even as circumstances required that I had to take some time away. If Our Lord wants you in religious life, He will give you the grace to get you there! We just have to respond to it.[/size]
[size=3]And I assure you, it's a challenging but beautiful surrender. Below is a poem I've written before my entrance the first time regarding the magnitude of such a calling and feeling so little before it all.[/size]

[size=2][u]Be it Done Unto Me[/u][/size]

[size=2]It's hard to understand...[/size]
[size=2]Your eyes meet with mine,[/size]
[size=2]Lord[/size]
[size=2]And you ask me the Question[/size]
[size=2]of All questions[/size]

[size=2]I tremble at its magnitude[/size]
[size=2]"Me...[/size]
[size=2]You ask this of[/size]
[size=2]...Me?"[/size]

[size=2]A multitude of my past sins and faults[/size]
[size=2]begins to surface[/size]

[size=2]..."But Lord, I am unworthy!"[/size]

[size=2]Without hesitation[/size]
[size=2]You smile[/size]
[size=2]at my[/size]
[size=2]Typical Response[/size]

[size=2]Without a word[/size]
[size=2]We understand one another[/size]
[size=2]I surrender my Heart and Will[/size]
[size=2]to You.[/size]

[size=2]That is all You ever wanted[/size]

[size=2]Yes, Lord[/size]
[size=2]You want me[/size]
[size=2]because you Love me[/size]

[size=2]I never really needed to know more[/size]
[size=2]than This[/size]

[size=2]-IamMyBeloveds (Elizabeth).[/size]

Edited by IamMyBeloveds

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showuser=13679"] [/url]

[quote] How Did God Show You That You Have A Vocation To Be A Sister?[/quote]

If I ever make final vows I'll let you know! :like:

edited emote

Edited by vee8

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1313292198' post='2287411']

If I ever make final vows I'll let you know! :like:

edited emote
[/quote]

Well said!
I think I tried to show God that I had a vocation as a Sister - He let me know how wrong I was and that He had something else in mind.

Little Flower

Hmmm. Well. Um. I really don't have a very exciting story. or a very long story really. here it its : [spoiler]I've always wanted to be a nun[/spoiler]

now wasnt that fascinating. Especially the part where I was on the very brink of engagement when Jesus appeared to me in a vision and I went into ecstasy and He told me that I'm supposed to be a nun, and as a matter of fact I am supposed to enter the Discalced Carmelites in Valparaiso Nebraska on July 24, 2013 once I have finished high school. yup.

i know that was very useful to you all so now I will be happy to receive your grateful thanks

• 1 month later...

I think I can add my recent experience with the Religious Sisters of Mercy to the reason why I think God is calling me to be a religious. I got in contact with the RSMs fairly quickly (1 week after my initial email, this time around). Sister asked me to talk to my pastor about getting financial assistance with transportation so I could make a retreat. I had a very serious conversation with Jesus and His Mother and the next day, my friend donated the money for me to pay for my plane ticket! I never realized that the Lord could work so fast when He really wants something! If you trust in Him, all things will come to pass. :)

So mildly hijacking this thread but... Mater I am SO excited for you! This is excellent news about you being able to go on a retreat. Always remember God does not ask the impossible of us!

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1316153443' post='2305332']
So mildly hijacking this thread but... Mater I am SO excited for you! This is excellent news about you being able to go on a retreat. Always remember God does not ask the impossible of us!
[/quote]

Thank you! I am so excited! It's been all I can think about. I am still waiting to hear back from the VD, but I may call her soon. I really want to talk to her on the phone. I believe that I will be setting up for the November retreat but there is still the possibility that I could go to the October one. I must talk to her about it first. :)

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1313278446' post='2287250']
I was on holiday with my then boyfriend in Rome and we were going to get engaged. On the way I heard God tell me very clearly that marriage was not His plan for me, so after a very awkward holiday I ended the relationship. It was a very painful decision and I know it hurt the man involved very much, especially as at that point I could not tell him exactly why or explain what had happened - I simply didn't know yet.

Over the next few months I spent more time in prayer and threw myself into my work with the parish, hoping that being a single lay woman would mean I could live God's plan, but gradually found myself googling words like 'vocation', 'convent' etc. About 5mths after the holiday I saw a note in the parish newsletter about a come and see with a new religious community. I figured if I went then at least God would realise it wasn't what He wanted of me!!! In the end, while I soon realised that that particular community was not for me, that weekend was a massive turning point as I realised that I could never truely be happy unless I surrendered myself totally to God and became completely His.
[/quote]

I think I should add to this that when I think about it with hindsight, I have always had a sense of vocation, without really understanding it. I wasn't brought up Catholic and from about age 12, and definately by 14, a number of people told me that they [i]knew[/i] God was calling me to be a minister. I prayed so hard over it, just saying 'God, if thats what you want then Yes, but please tell [i]Me[/i] not other people!' So in some ways, while becoming Catholic (i don't refer to it as my conversion, I didn't really change my beliefs, just foung the right Church) and discerning my vocation has been painful, its also been a relief as it explains why my relationship with God has always been as it has been.