An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dissenting Bishops During A Vote

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

So many doctrines are voted upon by all the bishops, and then the pope gives seal of 'dogma'.
Dissenting from a doctrine is considered a heresy, something that can cause the dissenter to not be catholic, and go to hell.
Are all the dissenting bishops expected to suddenly believe the new doctrine, that they just voting against?
I remember I sort of mentioned this issue in passing, on the issue of when they voted on papal infalliblity in the 1800s, but it's really an issue that should be made into its own focus and regarding all votes of catholic doctrine.

I don't know much about this 1800s vote you are referring to, but I will say this,

"Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church; to you I give the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you bind on earth is bound in heaven; whatever you loose on earth is loosed in heaven", and "Do you love me, Peter. Feed my sheep", and "I have prayed for you, Peter, that your faith may not fail. You in turn must confirm your brethren", have always been taken to refer to a special role for Peter in the establishment of the Church, and special divine protection for Peter in the exercise of his authority.

Brother Adam

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1312990585' post='2285514']
So many doctrines are voted upon by all the bishops, and then the pope gives seal of 'dogma'.
Dissenting from a doctrine is considered a heresy, something that can cause the dissenter to not be catholic, and go to hell.
Are all the dissenting bishops expected to suddenly believe the new doctrine, that they just voting against?
I remember I sort of mentioned this issue in passing, on the issue of when they voted on papal infalliblity in the 1800s, but it's really an issue that should be made into its own focus and regarding all votes of catholic doctrine.
[/quote]

If the Magisterium in its ordinary capacity presents something to the faithful to be held to with a firm belief, then yes, the dissenting bishops are expected to be obedient, not because of majority rule, but rather through the power of the Holy Spirit the Church is protected from the gates of hell.

thessalonian

To what has been said I would add in Acts 15 there was much debate at the beginning of the council. But when agreement was reached all dissent was silenced.

Once the Truth is revealed, one is expected to submit to the Truth. The process preserves the ability to doubt and thus preserves the ability to have Faith.