An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Take With?

Butterfly

HI! I am packing right now for my entering and I was curious about what your orders wanted to bring?
Greetings Butterfly

I entered a very long time ago. I had to bring:

2 white high neck long sleeved blouses (to go under Possies dress).
I Black coat, rain resistant, full length ( down to mid calf)
1 Black umbrella.
Four pairs white kickers.
2 white bra's
2 full length black undershifts ( I had to send for these from a shop in London that the sisters told me about).
Hairgrips - black.
White mantilla - we didn't wear veils as Possies.
1 Pair strong black outdoor shoes
I pair plain bedroom slippers.
I washable plain Robe (no bright colours allowed). We call then dressing gowns in the UK.
I good quality sewing set.
1 set long black glass headed pins.
I shoe polish kit (black)
2 skeins red embroidery silk ( for cross stitching one's number onto personal wear).
Toothpaste, Non perfumed soap and shampoo. No deodorant permitted.
Six white men's handkerchiefs.
I single white cotton counterpane ( like the top cover on a bed.)
2 White wool blankets. Plain.
2 white cotton pillowslips. Plain.
Pen (fountain) with black ink.
Paper and envelopes.
Pencil, ruler.

Optional:
Rosary
Small crucifix on a light chain ( to be given up at Clothing).
Prayer cards and holy pictures.
Missal.
Black cardigan or shawl.

On arrival there was a Postulants dress, belt and black Espardrilles in the cell. Sheets were provided and we made up the bed with the blankets I took.

faithcecelia

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1313513810' post='2289162']
I entered a very long time ago. I had to bring:

2 white high neck long sleeved blouses (to go under Possies dress).
I Black coat, rain resistant, full length ( down to mid calf)
1 Black umbrella.
Four pairs white kickers.
2 white bra's
2 full length black undershifts ( I had to send for these from a shop in London that the sisters told me about).
Hairgrips - black.
White mantilla - we didn't wear veils as Possies.
1 Pair strong black outdoor shoes
I pair plain bedroom slippers.
I washable plain Robe (no bright colours allowed). We call then dressing gowns in the UK.
I good quality sewing set.
1 set long black glass headed pins.
I shoe polish kit (black)
2 skeins red embroidery silk ( for cross stitching one's number onto personal wear).
Toothpaste, Non perfumed soap and shampoo. No deodorant permitted.
Six white men's handkerchiefs.
I single white cotton counterpane ( like the top cover on a bed.)
2 White wool blankets. Plain.
2 white cotton pillowslips. Plain.
Pen (fountain) with black ink.
Paper and envelopes.
Pencil, ruler.

Optional:
Rosary
Small crucifix on a light chain ( to be given up at Clothing).
Prayer cards and holy pictures.
Missal.
Black cardigan or shawl.

On arrival there was a Postulants dress, belt and black Espardrilles in the cell. Sheets were provided and we made up the bed with the blankets I took.
[/quote]

Wow!!! I must admit I smiled to see that shoe polish, writing paper etc were compulsary while rosary and missal were optional!

I don't have a list, but after going once with far too much of some things and not enough of others, my rough list (clothes-wise) will be:

4 full length skirts for postulancy (a year at Notting Hill)
1 pair of jeans
2 long sleeve thermal vests
12 new pairs knickers
3/4 new bras (community washing seems to wreck these, so getting new so I dont need them replacing so soon)
6ish long sleeve tops
2 t-shirts
2 cardies
3 pairs of jammies
1 hooded dressing gown (they use hoods to cover hear when popping to bathroom etc as no longer wear night veils)
2 pairs sandals
Wellies
Slippers
Trainers
4 pairs knee length socks

We did have a thread about this some time ago: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=112251&hl=&fromsearch=1"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=112251&hl=&fromsearch=1[/url]

faithcecelia

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1313517585' post='2289226']
Id probably show up with a hang over :saint2:
[/quote]

Im ashamed to say I actually did enter with a hangover. I had popped up the pub with a friend and as we were about to leave at a sensible hour, the whole parish council came in.... Next morning my parish priest came to pick me up to drive me, and I had to leave him loading the car while I ran to be sick :blush: I wouldn't recommend it.

MissScripture

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1313514544' post='2289174']

Wow!!! I must admit I smiled to see that shoe polish, writing paper etc were compulsary while rosary and missal were optional!

I don't have a list, but after going once with far too much of some things and not enough of others, my rough list (clothes-wise) will be:

4 full length skirts for postulancy (a year at Notting Hill)
1 pair of jeans
2 long sleeve thermal vests
12 new pairs knickers
3/4 new bras (community washing seems to wreck these, so getting new so I dont need them replacing so soon)
6ish long sleeve tops
2 t-shirts
2 cardies
3 pairs of jammies
1 hooded dressing gown (they use hoods to cover hear when popping to bathroom etc as no longer wear night veils)
2 pairs sandals
Wellies
Slippers
Trainers
4 pairs knee length socks
[/quote]
You're getting 3/4 of a new bra? :P
On the Nashville Dominican list it said "bras that will withstand industrial sized washing machines" or something to that effect. According to my sister, asking for that in a store gets you looks like this: :blink:
I know that some of the gals entering with her got sports bras, because those would hold up the best. Of course, that wouldn't work for everyone.

Haha. My daughter entered the day before her 21st b-day. For awhile it looked like entrance would be the day AFTER, so it was always our joke that we would drop her off with a hangover. Her twin even told Sr. M. E. that. . . she didn't get the joke and said, "Oh, please, no!" and looked like this :shock:

faithcecelia

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1313518774' post='2289236']
You're getting 3/4 of a new bra? :P
On the Nashville Dominican list it said "bras that will withstand industrial sized washing machines" or something to that effect. According to my sister, asking for that in a store gets you looks like this: :blink:
I know that some of the gals entering with her got sports bras, because those would hold up the best. Of course, that wouldn't work for everyone.
[/quote]

:hehe2:

I will probably go for 3 good, solid, sensible bras and one pretty one with matching kincks for special occasions, then hand wash them (thats what I did last time!). I find M&S are pretty good but no idea over there. Personally I need underwires due to surgery, but sports would probably be good for some.

dominicansoul

[quote name='jruss' timestamp='1313523889' post='2289308']
Haha. My daughter entered the day before her 21st b-day. For awhile it looked like entrance would be the day AFTER, so it was always our joke that we would drop her off with a hangover. Her twin even told Sr. M. E. that. . . she didn't get the joke and said, "Oh, please, no!" and looked like this :shock:
[/quote]

lol. it doesnt take a lot to scandalize the Nashie superiors. When I was entering, they came to visit me, and were shocked that I ate toast on a napkin!!!

faithcecelia

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1313535875' post='2289412']

lol. it doesnt take a lot to scandalize the Nashie superiors. When I was entering, they came to visit me, and were shocked that I ate toast on a napkin!!!
[/quote]

Classic!

I know that the Religious Sisters of Mercy (Alma, Michigan) have a crazy amount of items needed to enter. You'd have to ask the VD for specifics, but I just heard it is A LOT. If I ended up entering there, should it not work out with the SsEW, I sure hope I could pay for all that stuff.

How are Orders about an entrant wanting to take some extra things? (Books, certain clothes, personal care items, calendar, extra eyeglasses, etc. etc.)

Edited by JoyfulLife

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1313535875' post='2289412']

[/quote]

Just as well I'm not discerning with them. I have what can only be described as a black sense of humour (it comes from my days cleaning up bodily fluids). My mother's Legion of Mary have still not quite forgiven me for my holy water and blessing the bucket joke. The priest thought it was funny though