An Old School Catholic Message Board

So My Mom Made Me Cry... :)

the171

So I accidentally let slip that I was looking into Carmelie monasteries in France while we were in the car. After I let it slip I said, "But I probably won't. I mean, I don't want to leave the family. I know you guys would want to visit me and it would be hard if I was out of the country." SHE LOOKED AT ME AND PRACTICALLY STOPPED THE CAR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY. "Dylana, if you EVER let us stop you, I will not forgive myself. You go to France, China, MARS, if God calls you there. You never let us stop you. You will regret it all your life. With your French you could go so many places. Even if you can never come back home because you're in a monastery, if God calls you there go. At least we'll have a nice place to visit." Yeah. I cried a bit because this is the first time she's verbally supported my discernment. I was rather shocked. But so joyous,

faithcecelia

Oh how wonderful for you! I am so pleased to hear it. I had dreaded telling my mother, even though I was 26 by the time I did and had been discerning almost a year. She had hated me becoming Catholic in the first place, had been devastated when I ended my relationship with no apparant reason, and was (still ill) seriously mentally ill. I actually wrote to her while I was on holiday so she had time to come to terms with it before I saw her!!! In the end she just said 'I knew when you didn't get engaged. And if you say no to God you will never be happy'. Her health has deteriorated since and she blows hot and cold one minute to the next, but I always remember that as it was truely 'her' speaking through the illness rather than the illness speaking.

MargaretTeresa

Jealous! My mom freaked out bc I went to Mass while in Oxford a couple weeks ago. :doh:

My mom raised me too independent. I'm probably going to write a letter and drop it in the mail on my way to wherever :P

she_who_is_not

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1312371532' post='2280780']
Jealous! My mom freaked out bc I went to Mass while in Oxford a couple weeks ago. :doh:

My mom raised me too independent. I'm probably going to write a letter and drop it in the mail on my way to wherever :P
[/quote]

Like Mother Angelica? Maybe your mom will join you like her mother did. Crazier things have happened.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1312395941' post='2280953']

Like Mother Angelica? Maybe your mom will join you like her mother did. Crazier things have happened.
[/quote]

Considering my mother's a heavy ended Anti-Catholic, I don't see it happening...
The thought makes me rotfl

FutureSister2009

my mom told me I can go to whatever Convent I want as long as I go to school first (of course *eye roll*) and I wonder if that includes Carmel if I want to. I still think about it occasionally

InPersonaChriste

amesome, my mother always prays that she will never be in the way of any of her childrens vocations. But I cant say she makes it neccesarily easy for me to go anywhere outside a 500 mile radius of her.

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1312402567' post='2281000']

Considering my mother's a heavy ended Anti-Catholic, I don't see it happening...
[/quote]

We should totally be friends. Or start a support group. :|

I am only partially kidding. :|

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1312402567' post='2281000']

[/quote]
That has to be hard...

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1312419988' post='2281155']

We should totally be friends. Or start a support group. :|

I am only partially kidding. :|
[/quote]
Honey, support group is def needed. I have letters from communities hidden in my bed slats, my holy water and chapel veil and candle are with a friend, almost all my books too.
My rosaries are carefully hidden in backpacks and purses.
It's a nightmare.