An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Know You're A Christian?

Kia ora

thessalonian

cooterhien,

Very good post. I think that is really the root of doing works that are truly good. A favorite passage of min is ephesians 3:20-21

[[b]20[/b]]
Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think,

[[b]21[/b]] to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, for ever and ever. Amen.
In coming to know Christ we become Christ for others and live the beatitudes. Our works become him working in and through us producing 30, 60, or 100 fold. These works are supernatural works. All men can produce natural works but these do not bear the kind of fruit that supernatural works do, i.e. bringing others to Christ, and so they are of little value in the grand scheme of things and when done for selfish reasons can be sinful.

infinitelord1

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1312408067' post='2281051']
cooterhien,

Very good post. I think that is really the root of doing works that are truly good. A favorite passage of min is ephesians 3:20-21

[[b]20[/b]]
Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think,

[[b]21[/b]] to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, for ever and ever. Amen.
In coming to know Christ we become Christ for others and live the beatitudes. Our works become him working in and through us producing 30, 60, or 100 fold. These works are supernatural works. All men can produce natural works but these do not bear the kind of fruit that supernatural works do, i.e. bringing others to Christ, and so they are of little value in the grand scheme of things and when done for selfish reasons can be sinful.
[/quote]
Not sure what you are saying...

How can bringing others to Christ be done for selfish reasons?

thessalonian

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1312432517' post='2281317']
Not sure what you are saying...

How can bringing others to Christ be done for selfish reasons?
[/quote]

You missed the distinction between supernatural and natural works. I was speaking of natural works here.

[quote name='Seven77' timestamp='1312052668' post='2278583']
But what if you are in a state of mortal sin? Haven't you basically ceased to be a Christian (other than having records, formal membership, etc.)?
[/quote]

I think that a thing is the faith, another one is holiness.
You are a christian if you received Baptism and believe in the Creed of the Apostoles.
You are a saint if you behave according to your Creed and Jesus' teaching.
I do not think only to "canonized saints": the first christians for example called themsleves saints and it is true because we are all called to be saint.
I think saint Paul too gives some important descriptions of how a true christian should be.
I think a "true christian" is a person who has the faith and also lives according to his faith.

Guest Semper Fe

You are a Christian if you follow in Christ's footsteps. You study His life so you can imitate Him, that is, do what He would do in whatever happens during the day.

I recently returned to the church, so this question was obviously a big one for me!

One of the reason i strayed for so long was because, for all my musings about the nature of God and extensive schooling in Religious Studies, I could never really understand the [i]need[/i] for Jesus in one's spiritual life. For me he was a very good man and maybe even a prophet! But that was it. He was not God, whatever the Bible said!

So why do I now consider Jesus as God and the giver of man's salvation? Well it may seem like a simple observation, but for me the neccessity of Jesus' divinity came through a realisation that we, as human and sinful creatures, cannot possibly relate to the eternal and infinite qualities and nature of God. We are nothing like God! Jesus is the necessary [i]way[/i] to God. We cannot hope to relate to God, so, in His infinite Goodness and out of ultimate love, God made himself man so that man could relate accessibly to Him.

John 14:6 ("I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.") suddenly took on a new meaning to me. It was no longer the phrase of a selfish religion that recognised no authority of truth in other religions, but it was the freeing phrase which allowed me finally to know something concrete about God- that Jesus was God incarnate, who allowed man to relate to God AND who died for our sins, allowing us to actually approach God in a comprehensive and respectful way!

Since that major epiphany for me, everything has seemingly started to click into place. Whilst before this epiphany, I knew [i]about[/i] Jesus and knew He was the foundation of the Christian faith, I never [i]knew[/i] Him.

I know it seems silly, but for me it was a real sticking point. Not really understanding Jesus and the fact that I've never been one to passively accept things, led me to fall away from the Church. This resulted in a massive spiritual quest, which is still evolving every day for me. (I am really only[i] just starting[/i] to engage in a relatioship with God, through Jesus, despite having been baptised as a baby!) However, since that epiphany I did consider myself Christian because I finally saw humanity in all its sin and the need for a saviour in order for humans to truly know God. I believe that person was Jesus.

Even the best evangelist could not have moved my heart to faith before this encounter. For me to become Christian, I needed, and with the grace of God, recieved, direct understanding of the Christian faith and Jesus, whose is its crux.

Truly God is good and merciful. When he said "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." He meant it. It took many years for me to reach such a simple understanding, but I hope that anyone who is searching for God, and who is perhaps considering Catholicism but can't seem to get to grips with its most basic belief, takes heart in my conversion. I am praying for you. Please pray for me. :)

[b] How Do You Know You're A Christian?[/b]

By the confidence of one’s strength of mind, by the joy in your heart, by your cheerful disposition

dells_of_bittersweet

I'll give my .02

A Christian by definition is a follower of Christ. We enter into Christian life through Baptism. Scripture says "Baptism now saves you." Once we enter into Christian life we continue to be followers of Christ by participating in the Sacraments and cooperating with God's grace in our lives.

However each of us can and do fall into sin, and each time we sin, we walk away from Christ in some degree, depending on the gravity of the sin. However, Christ continually gives us the opportunity to repent, especially through the Sacrament of confession. This is where the phrase "Practicing Catholic" comes in. We say that we are "practicing" because we continually fall, but each time we repent and renew our commitment to follow Christ.

As long as a person continues to repent of thier sins, they are a Christian, no matter how great the sin.

A person would only cease to be a Christian if they chose to stop following Christ. The term for that would be apostacy.