An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Know You're A Christian?

Kia ora

I know I'm a Christian because I long ago accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior. I was baptised in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. I made my faith my own, rather than simply follow it because I was raised to. I continue to follow Him, despite plenty of people providing me reasons not to in their actions while professing His name, because if my faith is in the Christ, His followers potential idiocy should play no role in my belief.

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1312036002' post='2278473']
If you are a terrorist, you are automatically not a Christian.
[/quote]

Yeah. funny how that works, huh?

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1312050934' post='2278559']Well... the only demonstrable method that the Bible provides to identify a Christian is Mark 16:17-18. Because love and faith are rather abstract terms.
"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."
Do you believe?[/quote]
Of course.

It's important to understand that the Bible does NOT say that a lack of those signs means unbelief.

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1312052365' post='2278577']Of course.

It's important to understand that the Bible does NOT say that a lack of those signs means unbelief.[/quote]How do you demonstrate faith then? How do you know its real and not a deception?

But what if you are in a state of mortal sin? Haven't you basically ceased to be a Christian (other than having records, formal membership, etc.)?

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1312052660' post='2278581']
You will know a tree by its fruits.
[/quote]

What if the tree is nuts?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1312050961' post='2278560']
If you have been baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit - you are a Christian, whether you act like it or not is immaterial.
Baptism cannot be lost or revoked, it is a permanent change in your soul. If you are not baptized in this way you are not a christian.
[/quote]
This is very interesting. Baptism to me seems very much to be a one time symbolic act and for many it is forced upon them by their parents when they are infants, they have no choice in the matter and no memories of the event.

What if a baptized person goes on to convert to another religion, say muslim or bhudism or pagan or hindi, does it then get negated or would you consider this person still to be a Christian regardless that they are actively practising and self associated by a competing religion?

Given that babies are baptised against their will, what are the requirements of a baptism? What is to stop a priest from going to public swimming pools/hot pools and saying silent prayers inside his head and thus sneakily baptising everyone in the pool?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Seven77' timestamp='1312052668' post='2278583']
But what if you are in a state of mortal sin? Haven't you basically ceased to be a Christian (other than having records, formal membership, etc.)?
[/quote]
Being in a state of mortal sin has no effect on your baptism and therefore the fact you are a christian, just not a very good one.

Mr. Catholic Cat - Does it matter if you or I can tell if another person is being deceitful? I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. A person demonstrates their faith by living it.

To be in a state of mortal sin, a person has to understand the concept of mortal sin. I'm not sure how one could understand that without being a Christian.

infinitelord1

As far as trying to determine how good of a Christian someone is....

[Matthew 7:1-2]- "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#001320"]I think we can all be guilty of judging others in the heat of our anger towards them. But in the long run it is still wrong. And it is something we should be careful about. [/color][/font]

Groo the Wanderer

I fail to understand why the world expects Christians to be perfect and sinless. The root of the Gospel is that even while we were sinners, Christ died for us. For always and forever.

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1312053802' post='2278594']
To be in a state of mortal sin, a person has to understand the concept of mortal sin. I'm not sure how one could understand that without being a Christian.
[/quote]

I agree. I was sitting there at Mass today, waiting for my row to get back from receiving, talking to God about being in a state of mortal sin. And eventually it hit me, "Yeah I'm sorry for committing the offense, but worse than the offense is that I cut myself off from going up there to eat the Bread of Life. I physically am without the Body of Christ in me today because of what I did."

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1312067108' post='2278689']
I fail to understand why the world expects Christians to be perfect and sinless. The root of the Gospel is that even while we were sinners, Christ died for us. For always and forever.
[/quote]

I've said it before, humans are humans. Doesn't matter what 'ism you belong to.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1312067108' post='2278689']
[/quote]

Because why would anyone trade an eternity of perfect joy for a finite sin. It suggests a lack of sincerity of belief. Why are you on the internet right now? Why aren't you doing penance? Why would you spend a single moment either ensuring that you were reconciled with God or doing penance to ensure your swift bypass through purgatory once you are reconciled? If you really believed all this stuff.