An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning With A New Community

HopefulBride

I personally would want to wait awhile on a newer community. The SsEW are fairly new, but they have been around a good amount of time; they have a good number of Sisters even though not huge; they have just one convent; but the main thing that assures me about them is that they have a solid apostolate with solid Priests wanting to come there. I believe people will continue to be drawn to their retreats for eons. So, given that, I believe they will survive for my lifetime. I do worry how well they will do once their founder, Mother Gabriel passes on.

If I end up discerning with the RSM, I have full faith that they will be around for a loooooooooooong time. They've been alive for many, many years; they have many convents throughout the world; they have growing entrants; they have a wide apostolate; and they have good jobs that will keep them going financially.

HopefulBride

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1311952800' post='2278100']

It's true they have less history, but I don't think they have less tradition. IMHO, most new communities formed in the last 15-20 years have really tried to get back to the idea of traditional religious life, especially with the concepts of community, prayer life, and attire. For instance, the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles (which, I think you're discerning with, correct?) was only founded in the 90's. Clearly not a lot of history, but they celebrate the Latin Mass, wear a habit, and follow the Rule more closely- they are steeped in tradition!

ETA: I hope that didn't sound confrontational. I completely agree with you that it is wonderful to see how a community has persevered over a long time and maintained fidelity to the Church- that is something you can't get (at least a long-term track record) with a new community.
[/quote]

I agree totally Lisa. btw, I don't think it's confrontational at all.

inperpetuity

Yes, this is an interesting topic. I have realized that I have been given a somewhat pioneering spirit that has seemed to grow stronger over the years. It has taken me 20 years to get to this point and a lot of patience. A friend of mine told me he would have given up by now. :smile3: I have been in touch with several well-established communities who were very encouraging to me, but I am not called to any of them even though it seems more appealing to me in many ways to join a well-established community. I am actually discerning with two new communities although they have both been in the works for almost ten years by seasoned religious as founders. One has a web presence the other does not. Only one has a house. I will be visiting both places very soon and have no fear whatsover of joining either one if it seems to be God's will for me as I am attracted to both. The important thing for me is that I can be of the same mind and heart as the founder/foundress and that they be faithful to all of the teachings of the Church. I know that it can be difficult at times when your first starting out. But, in talking with these two founders, the thought of difficulties doesn't seem to matter to me, and I could see myself joining either one at this stage, which is why I need to visit so that it will become clearer. I do think joining a brand new community is not for most people unless they're really called to it because it is definitely a bigger risk. I now know from experience that everything including disappointments and failures can be part of the learning process that can bring us closer to God.

i<3franciscans

I know that God is calling me to the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal :dance: and they were started in 1988. So they have been around for more than ten years, but the order is still very young.
So my opinion is if you are called to that order then go for it!!!

franciscanheart

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1311976986' post='2278286']
I know that God is calling me to the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal :dance: and they were started in 1988. So they have been around for more than ten years, but the order is still very young.
So my opinion is if you are called to that order then go for it!!!
[/quote]
:wave: Welcome! I also feel called to the CFRs, though I haven't been back to visit in some years.

Can't reply as long as I'd like to as I'm doing this via my husband's phone (I may return later!), but I discerned and entered a "new" community (for a number of years) and it was truly wonderful.

Sure, there are some difficulties, particularly for personalities who do not like change, because the community is still establishing itself, and things that have been set in stone for ages with older communities can still change around as the newer one grows and matures--things as fundamental as the daily schedule. Difficulties along those lines are things you would never have to deal with in an older community.

But on the other hand, it can have joys and excitements that you wouldn't find in an older community! You get to be a pioneer! You get to help shape the future of this community for generations to come! You will do amazing things for God and His Church in a very concrete way. Of course this happens in older communities too, but the point is just that the dynamic is different. There are aspects, good and bad, that you find in old communities that you won't find in newer ones, and vice versa.

It does take "extra", particular, and very focused discernment, and I absolutely agree that it is a special calling. I've heard the Sisters in my previous community refer to it like that. But it's a beautiful calling, and very needed. The Holy Spirit wants to build up this religious community, and you get to help set the foundation stones! What an honor! And also, very humbling ... it means you have to work very hard to persevere, because it's the work of a Saint. No room for selfishness there!

Prayers for you in your beautiful, holy vocation!