An Old School Catholic Message Board

Olam And The Pcpas

MargaretTeresa

MargaretTeresa

Does OLAM have two websites? Like, one with vocations info and how to get more information? Just out of curiosity...
Thanks!

Pax and God bless.

MargaretTeresa

Or does anyone have information with them? Discerned with them? Know any cool stories etc?

Their blog has the most up-to-date info, and some contact information (it looks like writing is the only option- or leaving a comment on the blog, lol)

[url="http://www.olamshrine.blogspot.com/"]http://www.olamshrine.blogspot.com/[/url]

HopefulBride

this whole time I didn't realize they had a blog. I knew the Arizona nuns did but not the OLAM one....

MargaretTeresa

Thanks! I'll be writing another letter after everyone goes to bed, even if it won't be posted for a while. :(

OLAM has had problems in governance in the last few years, and outside nuns have had to be brought in. If I were seriously discerning with them, I would like to have a recent assessment of their situation.

Edited by Yaatee

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1311903582' post='2277857']
OLAM has had problems in governance in the last few years, and outside nuns have had to be brought in. If I were seriously discerning with them, I would like to have a recent assessment of their situation.
[/quote]

Thanks for this info. I would just be getting information, but I don't think I can understand how they're so... invested in EWTN and stay cloistered. To me it's like a conflict of two worlds.

Re: OLAM
Does anyone have any knowledge about Sr.'s Mary Catherine and Margaret Mary? They have been gone on sabbatical a mighty long time! I kinda assumed they'd be back by now. I am friends with PCPA's in other monasteries, but the topic seems to be off limits. I was actually horrified to see the latest community photo. Where have all the Sisters gone.....novices, junior professed, solemn professed, and externs? It appears a mass exodus has taken place. Please don't take this as a "gossip" thread, it's just seems there is a serious problem goin' on "down South".

truthfinder

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1311906484' post='2277883']

Thanks for this info. I would just be getting information, but I don't think I can understand how they're so... invested in EWTN and stay cloistered. To me it's like a conflict of two worlds.
[/quote]
[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1311911607' post='2277926']
Re: OLAM
Does anyone have any knowledge about Sr.'s Mary Catherine and Margaret Mary? They have been gone on sabbatical a mighty long time!
[/quote]

I have to jump in and respond. I think for the most part OLAM's cloistered (externs might be different) nuns have little active participation in EWTN. Of course the Mass or Rosary is sometimes filmed from there, but they don't leave from behind their grille to be filmed. They may focus a lot of their prayers on EWTN, but I think that would have had to been part of calling/discernment.

For the second question, not to say that they have been, but I have read of nuns who have been exclausterated for several years. So with the significant change of leadership with Mother Angelica's "retirement" as abbess, I don't think it should be too surprising that these two sisters (who I believe were vicaress or something?) would need a break.

I have no contact with OLAM other than their newsletters they post online, but this is what I have gathered from their website. The best thing we can do is pray for God's will to prevail for anyone discerning a vocation there. (They recently had a postulant enter, and have a profession coming up :nunpray: :clap:)

After reading through more of their blog, they have had 3 women enter the postulancy since November. :) Prayers that, invigorated by the faith and courage of these new sisters, they may continue to recover after any tough times they may have had.

They may be recovering now, but I think that there was a substantial problem, and I hear, exodus. Not much info, out there. You'd have to know someone or pour thru posts to find out. I do know they had to bring in nuns from outside, including, I think, one from another charism, ?OSB? to restore...the situation.

Their new group photo is half the size of the one taken two years ago. I wonder where they all went. A few passed away, I think, but there aren't all that many PCPA houses in the US, and none of the ones with websites have noted any transfers. I can't imagine that all simply returned to secular life; many were solemn professed.

BTW, where would a sister "on sabbatical" go?

[size=4][b]I don't know the answers to the questions you are asking, but it seems to me th[b]at more than a few sisters were sent to other missions.[/b][/b][/size]
[size=4][b][b]For instance, there are four or five starting a new monastery in San Antonio, Texas. The five in Arizona. One was sent to Ohio to help and I believe someone was sent to the monastery in Italy to help.[/b][/b][/size]
[size=4][b][b]Correct me if I'm wrong.[/b][/b][/size]

Rather than risk gossip or detraction, I think it best to talk directly with the Superior there now for those discerning the Order. It appears that whatever went on is being dealt with and that they are doing better with new entrants.

Edited by JoyfulLife

Dear Joyful life,
I have been a member here since 2008 and never once observed anything that even smacked of gossip or detraction.
Blessings to you.