An Old School Catholic Message Board

Community Assumes Aspirant's Nearly $100,000 Debt.

LaboureSociety

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1311889473' post='2277752']

I think that's fair. It can be quite the risk, since this is only the "next step" in discernment (although those entering look to enter for life, of course).

I wish I'd have thought more about the monthly payment option... I certainly know enough people that collectively, I think I could've managed to find benefactors for payments- perhaps even more than was the minimum. As it is, I've basically committed to one more year of work while living with the sisters. And since I'll have absolutely no living expenses, I am almost certain to have everything paid off in that year's time.
[/quote]
In the long run, you will probably also feel better about your discernment. Having your loans paid off might make you feel like you have an obligation to stay. That's no way to handle a vocation.

HopefulBride

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1311894837' post='2277792']
In the long run, you will probably also feel better about your discernment. Having your loans paid off might make you feel like you have an obligation to stay. That's no way to handle a vocation.
[/quote]

That is one of the reasons why the MEFV does the loan payment monthly rather than all at once. They don't want any discerner to feel obligated. If the person were to "discern out" then they can pick up and take over their loan payoff. I also prefer that option because the idea of my debt being paid off so that I could enter would weigh on me and I would feel a bit obligated to stay. It gets in the way of discernment.

maximillion

Does anyone know of a way of assisting someone who wants to enter? I mean other than through the Labore set up?

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1311952100' post='2278095']
Does anyone know of a way of assisting someone who wants to enter? I mean other than through the Labore set up?
[/quote]

The other popular way to go about it is to apply to is the Mater Ecclesiae Fund for Vocations. http://fundforvocations.org/ But just as a warning/description: they have many more people apply than they can give grants to (Thanks be to God that young people are responding to His call).

You can also always fundraise on your own.