An Old School Catholic Message Board

We Worship They Sinless Perfection?

1catholic

I looked up the word worship

[font="Baskerville"][size="6"][size="6"][quote][/size][/size][/font][font="Baskerville"][size="2"][size="6"]worship[/size][font="HiraMinPro-W3"] |ˈwər sh əp|[/font][/size][/font][font="Baskerville"][size="2"]nounthe feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity [i]: the worship of God [/i][i]| ancestor worship.[/i][font="LucidaGrande"][size="2"]• [/size][/font]the acts or rites that make up a formal expression of reverence for a deity; a religious ceremony or ceremonies [i]: the church was opened for public worship.[/i][font="LucidaGrande"][size="2"]• [/size][/font]adoration or devotion comparable to religious homage, shown toward a person or principle [i]: Krushchev threw the worship of Stalin overboard.[/i][font="LucidaGrande"][size="2"]• [/size][/font][font="HelveticaNeue-Light"][size="2"]archaic [/size][/font]honor given to someone in recognition of their merit.[font="LucidaGrande"][size="2"]• [/size][/font][as title ] ( His/Your Worship)[font="HelveticaNeue-Light"][size="2"] chiefly Brit. [/size][/font]used in addressing or referring to an important or high-ranking person, esp. a magistrate or mayor [i]: we were soon joined by His Worship the Mayor.[/i]verb ( -shiped , -shiping ; also -shipped, -shipping) [ trans. ]show reverence and adoration for (a deity); honor with religious rites [i]:the Maya built jungle pyramids to worship their gods.[/i][font="LucidaGrande"][size="2"]• [/size][/font]treat (someone or something) with the reverence and adoration appropriate to a deity [i]: she adores her sons and they worship her.[/i]See note at revere .[font="LucidaGrande"][size="2"]• [/size][/font][ intrans. ] take part in a religious ceremony [i]: he went to the cathedral because he chose to worship in a spiritually inspiring building.[/i][size="4"]DERIVATIVES[/size]worshiper (also worshipper) noun[/size][/font]
[font="Baskerville"][size="6"][size="6"][size="2"][size="4"]ORIGIN [/size]Old English [i]weorthscipe [/i][worthiness, acknowledgment of worth](see worth , -ship ).[/size][/quote]
[/size][/size][/font]

[font="Baskerville"][size="4"]Can this be reconciled with not "worshipping" other gods? Is this just a case of a word having two meanings? If not, why is it in a Catholic book?/I was going to buy it for a friend who is protestant yet dont want her getting the wrong idea[/size][/font]
[font="Baskerville"] [/font]
[font="Baskerville"][size="5"][size="2"]***[color="#B4453B"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"][b]We Worship Thy Sinless Perfection - I miss wrote it in the title, it is referring to Mary[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[/size][/size][/font]

Edited by 1catholic

Vincent Vega

Consider it a flaw of our modern English language for failing to delineate betweetn [i]latria[/i], [i]hyperdulia[/i], and [i]dulia[/i].

Brother Adam

[quote name='1catholic' timestamp='1311462511' post='2274531']
I looked up the word worship

[font="Baskerville"][size="6"][size="6"]
[/size][/size][/font]

[font="Baskerville"][size="4"]Can this be reconciled with not "worshipping" other gods? Is this just a case of a word having two meanings? If not, why is it in a Catholic book?/I was going to buy it for a friend who is protestant yet dont want her getting the wrong idea[/size][/font]
[font="Baskerville"][size="5"][size="2"]***[color="#B4453B"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"][b]We Worship Thy Sinless Perfection - I miss wrote it in the title, it is referring to Mary[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[/size][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Your definition of worship is lacking.

KnightofChrist

When a gentleman kisses the hand of a lady he is worshiping her. When a young child gives his mother some little flowers he is worshiping her.

To worship something is to give it worth. There are different kinds and levels of worship. Latria is the kind of worship that belongs to God alone.