An Old School Catholic Message Board

Right Wing Terrorism

StMichael

[quote name='Hilde' timestamp='1311610307' post='2275564']
Right wing extremism, here, is a fringe extremist right wing thing and usually means something to do with nationalism. This attack, as far as I have heard, was done to halt recruitment to the labor party(obv left wing) who has also been the governing party for quite a while( and therefore to blame for the "multiculturalsim", that he so despises). He was a member of the most blue party, Fremskrittspartiet, akin to the republicans, but of course he is extreme in his views and actions and do not represent this party in any way.

When the word is used it usually gives connotations such as nazism, racism or nationalism which are more "exact" words.
[/quote]
thanks, hilde!

i have a question for everyone that i saw on another blog, and perhaps hilde answered it, but: if he hated Muslims so much, why didn't he go shoot them up? (I'm not condoning his actions, just a legitimate question, i think).

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1311610423' post='2275565']
thanks, hilde!

i have a question for everyone that i saw on another blog, and perhaps hilde answered it, but: if he hated Muslims so much, why didn't he go shoot them up? (I'm not condoning his actions, just a legitimate question, i think).
[/quote]

You're asking for a rational explanation for irrational behavior. You won't get that, but we can speculate--perhaps he thought his targets were part of the "system" that "allowed" the Muslims he hated so much to exist in his society. It's the same reasoning that al-Qaeda used when justifying its attacks on 9/11--the people in those planes and in those towers didn't do anything to their "people," but they were members of a society that allowed those actions to take place. Attacking them was an attack on the establishment.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1311610692' post='2275573']
You're asking for a rational explanation for irrational behavior. You won't get that, but we can speculate--perhaps he thought his targets were part of the "system" that "allowed" the Muslims he hated so much to exist in his society. It's the same reasoning that al-Qaeda used when justifying its attacks on 9/11--the people in those planes and in those towers didn't do anything to their "people," but they were members of a society that allowed those actions to take place. Attacking them was an attack on the establishment.
[/quote]
interesting. :think:

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1311611018' post='2275581']
interesting. :think:
[/quote]

It's the rational-actor model approach, but twisted. I've done some writing on the subject, and coined the term "contextual rationalism" to describe the bounded rationality one experiences in moments of crisis. From the outside looking in, that rationality is anything but; however, in the moment, with the character and quality of the information possessed by the subject (or group of subjects), an irrational decision can appear rational.

well, this made me throw up in my mouth a little bit, Glen Beck basically defending everything this madman stood for, and then comparing the labour kids camp to the Hitler Youth. no wonder this guy's show is bombing nowadays.
[url="http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201107250006"]http://mediamatters....tv/201107250006[/url]

"There was a shooting at a poltical camp, which sounds a little like the Hitler Youth, or whatever- I mean, who does a camp for kids that's all about politics? Disturbing."

despicable. :mad5:

Edited by Jesus_lol

Yeah I saw that earlier. Darkly ironic coming from a man who dressed as a Nazi on a book cover and helps run a political youth camp of his own. It was definitely over the line on his part, and a completely unfounded allegation.

infinitelord1

Does this have anything to do with the Current Debt Crisis and how Democrats are accusing Republicans of being Terrorists and unwilling to cooperate on the issue?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1311565397' post='2275334']
I was thinking about this tonight and really, it would be better to avoid either left or right wing and discuss it in other terms that are more concrete. I was thinking authoritarian on one end and anarchism on the other, but I'm not sure that would work all that well. Especially when you told some Palinite they were firmly on the authoritarian side. And how would you deal with fascism's cooperation with private corporate entities (which clearly isn't approaching anarchy).
[/quote]

I'll refer you to the political compass. [url="http://www.politicalcompass.org/"]http://www.politicalcompass.org/[/url]

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1311649395' post='2276029']
Does this have anything to do with the Current Debt Crisis and how Democrats are accusing Republicans of being Terrorists and unwilling to cooperate on the issue?
[/quote]

No.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1311651013' post='2276041']
I'll refer you to the political compass. [url="http://www.politicalcompass.org/"]http://www.politicalcompass.org/[/url]
[/quote]
I've seen it. Thank you. I'm trying to figure a way to avoid getting mired in the left/right problem without everyone sitting around the computer.

"Right wing" and "Left wing" are labels and mean different things in different times and places.

And "right-wing" does not always necessarily equal conservative.

(For instance, "Extreme Right-wing" in Europe commonly refers to racist pseudo-fascist groups, whereas in the U.S.A., it's commonly used to refer to anyone who opposes going deeper into national debt, or attends pro-life rallies, or commits other such unspeakable atrocities.)

That Norwegian nut's actions have about as much to do with American conservatism as those of Joseph Stalin have to do with the typical American or Canadian bleeding heart liberal.

Not that that will stop the Left from having a field day with it in the media.

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1311649395' post='2276029']
[/quote]
Disagreeing with Dear Leader, and not wanting to increase the burden of debt on future generations = deliberate mass-murder

Gotta love the Left . . .

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1311560599' post='2275254']
see this. I think this helps explain what seems to be the confusion here. [url="http://www.politicalcompass.org/"]The Political Compass[/url]
[/quote]
The "Political Compass" is an incredibly simplistic and inadequate analysis of political viewpoints.