An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nola Nun Run

MargaretTeresa

Vincent Vega

I vote for
[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1311285138' post='2273203']Daughters of Charity
[/quote]

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1311305424' post='2273463']
I vote for

[/quote]

I really hope to meet up with them. I emailed the vocations directress. She's for the east central province, but I'm sure she'd help me out.

The Daughters are the first community I really contacted and got interested in. :)

HopefulBride

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1311295217' post='2273339']
I love love love gumbo. And ettouffee. And gumbo. The food is part of the reason why I want to move to Louisiana after I graduate and while I'm working off loans.

I just hope I have time for sight seeing stuff. :P
[/quote]

Ooooh, don't start talking about ettouffee. Love, love love that stuff. I need to go to NOLA soon.

oh yeah, I vote Salesians.

LaPetiteSoeur

I vote NDs, of course, but it's not a motherhouse, just a convent and school!
The DCs are also fantastic! Two sisters were at my old parish and told me I had to visit their French motherhouse when I study there! (and they didn't even know about the discernment thing...)
The Salesians are good, too...I can't choose! Visit them all! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dance.gif[/img]

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1311346690' post='2273800']
I vote NDs, of course, but it's not a motherhouse, just a convent and school!
The DCs are also fantastic! Two sisters were at my old parish and told me I had to visit their French motherhouse when I study there! (and they didn't even know about the discernment thing...)
The Salesians are good, too...I can't choose! Visit them all! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dance.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I really want to. But I would have to find someplace to stay one more night. Bleargh

Vincent Vega

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1311306884' post='2273496']
I really hope to meet up with them. I emailed the vocations directress. She's for the east central province, but I'm sure she'd help me out.

The Daughters are the first community I really contacted and got interested in. :)
[/quote]
Good. The hospital that I volunteered in which eventually led to my conversion was a DC-founded/run hospital, my confirmation saint is St. Vincent de Paul, and my sponsor was a DC sister.
I'm kind of a fan. I'm glad to see that there is still interest in vocations with them, as every DC sister I've ever met has been rather advanced in years.

MargaretTeresa

REVISED SCHEDULE

Tuesday:
leave Oxy at approx 5 am
arrive NOLA approx. 11:15 (This leaves time for gas and bathroom stops)
grab lunch at McDonald's
Salesians or Sisters of Mercy the Holy Cross (met a Holy Cross sister at work today. She's on the vocation team. Told me to look them up.)
approximately 5 pm - arrive the Pauline bookstore. Look at books for a few minutes before introducing myself. Begin sleepover party with the Paulines.

Wednesday: wake up. Possibly go to Mass with Paulines.
depart Paulines. Visit with the Daughters of Charity.
lunch
drive across lake to visit Carmel in Covington
drive home

This is meaning that I will sight see on Tuesday morning. I'm talking to Sr Teresa tomorrow about meeting with the Daughters. And she's actually going to be down there!!! :w00t:

LaPetiteSoeur

I really like the DCs. Possibly I'm biased as my patron saint is Catherine Laboure!

They're a really wonderful order. There were two DCs at my home parish who did a lot of work with the poor and were very nice. They also make the BEST scones. Ever. It's like the Dominican smores recipe. The DCs have scones!

NovemberFourth

Hopefully this is not a thread hijack! But could someone clarify for me exactly what a "Nun Run" is? I have seen the term used before but it was a sponsored run to raise money to build a new Convent. (If memory serves.) So I am now a bit confused. :)

N4

I thing the "Nun Run" you're thinking about is the annual one started by the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration of Our Lady of Solitude Monastey outside of Phoenix, AZ. The nuns are friends of mine and this is the second year they have put on their Nun Run to raise funds for buiding their monastery for their new foundation.

[quote name='NovemberFourth' timestamp='1311756380' post='2276749']
Hopefully this is not a thread hijack! But could someone clarify for me exactly what a "Nun Run" is? I have seen the term used before but it was a sponsored run to raise money to build a new Convent. (If memory serves.) So I am now a bit confused. :)

N4
[/quote]

It can mean that, but in this instance, it means going on a trip to see a few different communities in a certain geographic location. It's a little more casual than a come and see, and sometimes means going with a group. :)

MargaretTeresa

REVISED YET AGAIN!

Tuesday:
leave Oxy at approx 5 am
arrive NOLA approx. 11:15 (This leaves time for gas and bathroom stops)
grab lunch at McDonald's
Site See in the Quarter
5 pm - arrive the Pauline bookstore. Look at books for a few minutes before introducing myself.
Begin sleepover party with the Paulines.

Wednesday:
wake up. Possibly go to Mass with Paulines.
depart Paulines. Visit with the Daughters of Charity.
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=5][color=#ff0000]SEARCH AND SERVE WITH THE DCs AND SISTERS OF CHARITY![/color][/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=5][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] stay night with them[/font][/size][/size][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=5][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thursday:[/font][/size][/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=5][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] wake up. Go to Mass with DCs/SCs[/font][/size][/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=5][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Depart NOLA.[/font][/size][/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=5][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Visit Covington Carmel[/font][/size][/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=5][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Depart for Oxy[/font][/size][/size][/font]