Cloistered/contemplative Communities

Little Flower

faithcecelia

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1311110400' post='2270329']
wait... are they not in the us?
[/quote]

Yes, but I'm English :like:

Pax_et bonum

The SSFPA are still a really good community to discern with because, while they are active, they very much have the contemplative side. I think they describe themselves as active-contemplatives.

Little Flower

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1311122766' post='2270521']
The SSFPA are still a really good community to discern with because, while they are active, they very much have the contemplative side. I think they describe themselves as active-contemplatives.
[/quote]

Don't worry - I haven't forgotten about them! I would just like to also look into contemplative communities. I haven't ruled out an active vocation - I'm visiting the SSFPA Monday and I will also be visiting the Carmelites DCJ in East Chicago for a retreat in a couple weeks.

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1311125754' post='2270608']
I will also be visiting the Carmelites DCJ in East Chicago for a retreat in a couple weeks.
[/quote]

They are wonderful!!!!!! I visited them about a month ago! If you have any questions, PM me :)

Little Flower

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1311129707' post='2270714']
They are wonderful!!!!!! I visited them about a month ago! If you have any questions, PM me :)
[/quote]

i sent you a pm :like:

Little Flower

Aren't half the VS phatmassers discerning with cloistered places???????????? Please tell me of any contemplative communites you people like

faithcecelia

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1311261729' post='2272672']
Aren't half the VS phatmassers discerning with cloistered places???????????? Please tell me of any contemplative communites you people like
[/quote]

I'm in the UK. I spent 18mths in Quidenham Carmel and am now discerning with Notting Hill Carmel. I also visited Arundel Poor Clares when I was discerning first time round and Woodchester Poor Clares 18mths ago. I didn't take to Arundel, though I believe they are a good community. I loved Woodchester (now amalgamated with Lynton) and would have gladly entered with them had I been called to be a Poor Clare. I also recently visited Kirk Edge Carmel who I liked very much but do not believe I am called to the 1990 constitutions.

o you feel drawn to one particular spirituality? It might be useful to discern that first as otherwise its a sort of piece of string question.

Little Flower

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1311262297' post='2272678']
I'm in the UK. I spent 18mths in Quidenham Carmel and am now discerning with Notting Hill Carmel. I also visited Arundel Poor Clares when I was discerning first time round and Woodchester Poor Clares 18mths ago. I didn't take to Arundel, though I believe they are a good community. I loved Woodchester (now amalgamated with Lynton) and would have gladly entered with them had I been called to be a Poor Clare. I also recently visited Kirk Edge Carmel who I liked very much but do not believe I am called to the 1990 constitutions.

o you feel drawn to one particular spirituality? It might be useful to discern that first as otherwise its a sort of piece of string question.
[/quote]

Would a uk place consider a us person?

Not really... I do like how the Dominicans focus a lot on study (I visited the Dominicans in Summit NJ) but other than that, I guess I don't really know enough about the different spiritualites to be drawn to any :blush:

Pax_et bonum

I'm discerning with these [url="http://www.poor-clares.org/"]Poor Clare Colettines[/url]. The Mother Abbess has a facebook; you can find her through the page she made called [url="http://www.facebook.com/#%21/event.php?eid=120432311381291"]Poor Clare Hopefuls[/url].

There are some PCCs in [url="http://www.thepoorclares.org/"]Kokomo[/url] which would be much closer to you--there's a lot of PCC communities scattered about the US.
Young women ages 18-25 are invited for a vocation discernment night at the Maria Regina Mater monastery August 6 from 6 to 8pm.
The evening will include:
6-7:30 (in the visiting parlor) The following presentations will be given by the sisters:
[list][*]Vocation Discernment: How do I know?[*]The Vocation and Charism of St. Clare[*]Q&A period[/list]7:30 (in the public chapel)
[list][*]Participation in the annual novena to St. Clare[*]Prayers to receive the jubilee year plenary indulgence*[*]Homily and benediction of the Blessed Sacrament[/list]Free vocation literature will be available. No pre-registry is required, but if you have any questions or concerns, please call the monastery at (765)457-5743.
*The Holy Father has granted a plenary indulgence to all who visit a Poor Clare Monastery between April 16, 2011 and August 11, 2012 and fulfill the necessary requirements.

TheresaThoma

I'm still learning about this community so I can't really tell you much about them but.... [url="http://www.walburga.org/"]http://www.walburga.org/[/url] . They are a smaller community but from what I can tell they are wonderful. I might be a bit biased though since I live near-ish to them.

[b][size="4"][/size][/b]http://www.wolvercarmvocations.org.uk/

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1311261729' post='2272672']
[/quote]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1311125754' post='2270608']
Don't worry - I haven't forgotten about them! I would just like to also look into contemplative communities. I haven't ruled out an active vocation - I'm visiting the SSFPA Monday and I will also be visiting the Carmelites DCJ in East Chicago for a retreat in a couple weeks.
[/quote]

amesome! I was very close to entering the Carmelites DCJ. I visited East Chicago after a retreat at the Motherhouse and was supposed to stay there for 6 weeks after I applied for entrance, but after 3 days, I discerned it was not for me. I still love them very much and pray for them to get more vocations. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. ;)

ETA: I would highly recommend the Carmelites in Buffalo, NY. I was in touch with them for several months and Mother Miriam is an absolute sweetheart. I am not called there since they are very monastic and I have to take medication for the rest of my life, but she helped my discernment tremendously. I would also recommend the Carmelites in Terre Haute, IN and the Dominican Nuns in Summit, NJ.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

MarisStella

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1311108814' post='2270305']
[url="http://passionistnuns.org/"]The Passionist Nuns[/url]!!! :nun2:

ETA: lol just read your other post
[/quote]

:like: