An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Beast Revelation

ephraim

revelations

True fact..Catholicism was never mentioned in the bible [i]and[/i] has never came out of the mouth of Christ. EVER.

Edited by revelations

[quote name='revelations' timestamp='1311265231' post='2272786']
True fact..Catholicism was never mentioned by in the bible [i]and[/i] has never came out of the mouth of Christ. EVER.
[/quote]
What do you mean? The word itself or the Church's teachings?

cmotherofpirl

True fact..Catholicism was never mentioned in the bible [i]and[/i] has never came out of the mouth of Christ. EVER.
[/quote]
[color="#4169E1"]The word "catholic" comes from the Greek word katholikos, which is a combination of the words kata (according to) and holos (the whole). Besides meaning, "according to the whole," katholikos has the common meaning of "universal" or "general." To be a Catholic Christian is to be a Christian according to the whole, to possess the fullness and completeness of Apostolic Faith and Praxis. In the early Church, "Catholic" designated a Christian who confessed the ancient faith, a Christian in communion with the united and worldwide Church. This was in contrast to the regional and novel sects. Apostolic just simply means "from the apostles," the source of Catholic belief and practice. In the early Church, even in St. Paul's day, competing versions of Christianity began to arise, primarily early versions of Ebionism, Gnosticism, and Docetism. These sects so mangled the gospel received from the apostles that early Christian bishops spoke out against these heretics' particular views, opposed to the universal (Catholic) views of the Church, derived from the apostles themselves. St. Ignatius of Antioch (d. AD 110) was bold to write, "wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the catholic Church," implying of course that Jesus was only truly preached and proclaimed within the borders of the universal Church. He also implies that the Catholic Church, under the authority of bishops, was sanctified with Jesus' presence, being holy and set apart (Ignatius to the Smyrneans).[/color]

you must remember the New Testament was not fully cannoned until the 4th and 5 th century:

[color="#4169E1"]By the early 200s, Origen may have been using the same twenty-seven books as in the Catholic New Testament canon, though there were still disputes over the canonicity of Hebrews, James, II Peter, II and III John, and Revelation,[6] known as the Antilegomena. Likewise, the Muratorian fragment is evidence that, perhaps as early as 200, there existed a set of Christian writings somewhat similar to the twenty-seven-book NT canon, which included four gospels and argued against objections to them.[7] Thus, while there was a good measure of debate in the Early Church over the New Testament canon, the major writings are claimed to have been accepted by almost all Christians by the middle of the 3rd century.[8][/color]

[color="#4169E1"]In his Easter letter of 367, Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, gave a list of the books that would become the twenty-seven-book NT canon,[9] and he used the word "canonized" (kanonizomena) in regards to them.[10] The first council that accepted the present canon of the New Testament may have been the Synod of Hippo Regius in North Africa (AD 393); the acts of this council, however, are lost. A brief summary of the acts was read at and accepted by the Councils of Carthage in 397 and 419.[11] These councils were under the authority of St. Augustine, who regarded the canon as already closed.[12][13] Pope Damasus I's Council of Rome in 382, if the Decretum Gelasianum is correctly associated with it, issued a biblical canon identical to that mentioned above,[14] or, if not, the list is at least a 6th-century compilation.[15] Likewise, Damasus' commissioning of the Latin Vulgate edition of the Bible, c. 383, was instrumental in the fixation of the canon in the West.[16] In c. 405, Pope Innocent I sent a list of the sacred books to a Gallic bishop, Exsuperius of Toulouse. Christian scholars assert that, when these bishops and councils spoke on the matter, however, they were not defining something new but instead "were ratifying what had already become the mind of the Church."[17][18][19][/color]

[color="#4169E1"]Thus, some claim that, from the 4th century, there existed unanimity in the West concerning the New Testament canon (as it is today),[20] and that, by the 5th century, the Eastern Church, with a few exceptions, had come to accept the Book of Revelation and thus had come into harmony on the matter of the canon.[21][1] Nonetheless, full dogmatic articulations of the canon were not made until the Canon of Trent of 1546 for Roman Catholicism,[1]
[/color]

You must remember that the Church was established by Jesus Christ, the New Testament came later.

havok579257

[/quote]

who put the books of the bible together?

Edited by havok579257

Vincent Vega

[/quote]
True fact...the Bible was never mentioned in the bible [i]and[/i] has never came out of the mouth of Christ. EVER.

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1311267620' post='2272866']
who put the books of the bible together?
[/quote]
The old testament was established by Jewish scholars in exile, and the New Testament was compiled by the Magisterium of the Catholic Church.

havok579257

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1311269800' post='2272969']
The old testament was established by Jewish scholars in exile, and the New Testament was compiled by the Magisterium of the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

rhetorical question, guess i didn't phrase it that way.

dells_of_bittersweet

[/quote]

"You are Peter, and on this Rock I will build My Church, and the Gates of Hell shall not prevail against it."

Jesus founded one and only one Church, and in order to follow His will we must be members of it. Jesus didn't give His Church a name because it wasn't necessary at the time. As a previous poster has documented very well, as opposing sects of Christians began to emerge, the Church fathers gave a name to the Church founded by Christ: the Catholic Church.

revelations

[quote name='dells_of_bittersweet' timestamp='1311274876' post='2273060']
"You are Peter, and on this Rock I will build My Church, and the Gates of Hell shall not prevail against it."

Jesus founded one and only one Church, and in order to follow His will we must be members of it. Jesus didn't give His Church a name because it wasn't necessary at the time. As a previous poster has documented very well, as opposing sects of Christians began to emerge, the Church fathers gave a name to the Church founded by Christ: the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

WOW! I can quote scripture all day too.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]

[/quote]
I like turtles.

Nihil Obstat

Weird. A Protestant turning up their nose at Biblical prooftexting. Maybe next he/she will cite Thomas Aquinas to prove us Catholics wrong.
[img]http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lko3o3Khf21qhc9dno1_400.gif[/img]

revelations

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1311281183' post='2273162']
Weird. A Protestant turning up their nose at Biblical prooftexting. Maybe next he/she will cite Thomas Aquinas to prove us Catholics wrong.
[img]http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lko3o3Khf21qhc9dno1_400.gif[/img]
[/quote]
no need. you do a good enough job.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='revelations' timestamp='1311281345' post='2273163']
no need. you do a good enough job.
[/quote]
At citing Thomas Aquinas? Why thank you. Maybe you're not so bad after all.

revelations

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1311281525' post='2273164']
At citing Thomas Aquinas? Why thank you. Maybe you're not so bad after all.
[/quote]

Of course. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img]

[/quote]
bottom line is this....

you can either troll dump (like what is above) or doc dump (like others have done) and get no where; or you can be genuine. You can say where you disagree, ask us for why we believe xyz; even (dare I say) enlighten us to where we may be off. But be genuine, man. We get it, you don't believe as we believe. Isn't it better to find out exactly what and why we believe what we do (and vice versa) and come away better for the conversation; rather than one liners, proof texting, and 'AH HA I GOT YOU' moments????

You wanna discuss or you wanna just tell us how wrong we are?

Choice is yours, dude.