An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Beast Revelation

ephraim

Vincent Vega

[quote name='glenn' timestamp='1311205897' post='2272121']I do not claim a denomination.
[/quote]
Neither do we. :like:

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1311206555' post='2272126']
Neither do we. :like:
[/quote]

Something tells me we have different meanings behind those words.

The Catholic Church is the church founded by Christ, not an offshoot of another church. Hence, no Church before the Catholic Church. Therefore, not a denomination.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='glenn' timestamp='1311207593' post='2272132']
Something tells me we have different meanings behind those words.
[/quote]
Beats me. We go with the real meaning of the word, which means to separate from some overarching group into a subcategory of that larger group. Since we're the original Christians (and the Church that Jesus founded) and we're been around about four times as long as the term (which was first recorded in the 15th century), we don't know why some try to separate us into a some group as though we split off from somebody at some point (?).

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1311210038' post='2272143']
Beats me. We go with the real meaning of the word, which means to separate from some overarching group into a subcategory of that larger group. Since we're the original Christians (and the Church that Jesus founded) and we're been around about four times as long as the term (which was first recorded in the 15th century), we don't know why some try to separate us into a some group as though we split off from somebody at some point (?).
[/quote]
I see your point.

I suppose a Catholic person would look at the word denomination differently. By claiming Christianity, but not claiming Catholicism, in a Catholic's perspective that could be viewed as a denomination. Did that make sense? In reality, what I mean is I claim the Bible and Jesus, but no organized group...glenn

[quote name='glenn' timestamp='1311214419' post='2272184']
I suppose a Catholic person would look at the word denomination differently. By claiming Christianity, but not claiming Catholicism, in a Catholic's perspective that could be viewed as a denomination. Did that make sense? In reality, what I mean is I claim the Bible and Jesus, but no organized group...glenn
[/quote]
Christ established the Church, then the Church established the Bible. Can't have one w/o the other.

revelations

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][b][url="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+28:5&version=9"]Proverbs 28:5[/url][/b]
Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the [b]LORD[/b] understand all things[i].[/i][/size][/font]

Glenn one of the problems (and there are a few) with your initial post is the reference to satan in the story of Job. You are taking a Monday morning quarterback look at the Job story. What I mean to say is, your current understanding of who Satan is is no where near what the understanding of Satan is to people who wrote the OT and who believe solely in it today. The reason that in the book of Job, Satan is flying around heaven is because the writer believes that Satan is in fact working for God not against him.

[quote]ne day, when the sons of God[url="http://new.usccb.org/bible/src/nab-22-jb.html#22001006-1"][sup]*[/sup][/url] came to present themselves before the LORD, the satan also came among them.[url="http://new.usccb.org/bible/src/nab-22-jb.html#22001006-c"][sup]c[/sup][/url] 7The LORD said to the satan, “Where have you been?” Then the satan answered the LORD and said,[url="http://new.usccb.org/bible/src/nab-22-jb.html#22001007-d"][sup]d[/sup][/url] “Roaming the earth and patrolling[/quote]

According to the author of Job, Satan is considered to be one of the Sons of God. The Jews see Satan as an angel that tests people to make sure they are worthy of God's love. When you see OT writings about satan with Christian eyes, you make interpretations that simply aren't there.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='glenn' timestamp='1311214419' post='2272184']
[/quote]
The New Testament is guaranteed by the Catholic Church to be the Word OF God, so if you claim Scripture you by necessity you are claiming Catholicism.
The CHURCH is the pillar and foundation so if you don't claim to be part of the Church, which Jesus Christ founded, how can you possibly claim Jesus?
They are in truth, inseparable.

revelations

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
Good thing no one here is my lawyer.

Edited by revelations

havok579257

the bible was put together in the 300's a.d. the catholic church guided by the holy spirit put the bible together. the holy spirit guided the church in forming the bible and determining which books are sacred and which ones are not. so if you recognize the bible, they by logic and history, you have to acknowledge the catholic church as the one true church founded by Jesus. To say anything else is to deny history.